iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who Collects Some Handplanes?

Started by firefighter ontheside, August 13, 2022, 05:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I have a modest collection of planes.  I use them very sparingly, because I'm more of a power tool guy.  There are times though when a handplane comes in handy.  I'm not great at sharpening and that's one reason I'm not a big user.  I have some on display in my shop that I have cleaned up.  If you look closely you can see the wooden handplane car I made for my son's pinewood derby one year.  I have a plastic tote of ones that need work.  I have a Stanley No. 7 that's really cool but too big for my shelf.  The reason for the post today is that I picked up a little bitty Stanley No. 101 and a Stanley No. 9 1/2 that has an adjustable throat.  I had never seen that before.  About 5 years ago I bought a modern Stanley 12-101 which I use to chamfer edges often.  Now I have the vintage 101 for the same use.  I often misplace my other one, so having 2 will be good.  Lol.  Let's see what you have.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom King

I don't call myself a collector, but I expect I fit the definition.  I use them a lot in my work.  Mine are kept in waterproof toolboxes.  I don't need to see them, but need them to be ready to go to work when I need a particular one.

A few weeks ago, I needed a no.8 to take a little twist out of some handrails that didn't have enough meat left to straighten them on a jointer.  I hadn't used the no.8 in probably close to ten years, but it was ready to go to work.  There were two other no. 5's in the  "8" toolbox that I didn't remember when, or where I bought them.

I'm sure I have one of each, and multiples of some.  There are several boxes full of molding planes, and a couple of rows of boxes just for planes.  I bought most of them before it became a thing to collect planes, so never bought a rusty one, or one that needed anything more than tuning, and sharpening.

When we move into one of the old houses like I work on, one of the first things that gets moved in is my sharpening sink.  The small oilstone kit stays in the truck.

olcowhand

Very nice, Gentlemen.
I also have (had) a pretty diverse collection of planes. I used to use them frequently but have since resorted to using more modern equipment. I've sold, gifted or traded most of my collection off, but still have a few left. I've kept both my Stanley #45 & #55, and have used them both. I also have my Miller's Falls Block plane with adjustable throat, which is identical to the Stanley in your pic, Bill. I bought that plane in its original box about 40 years ago, and it's the most versatile woodworking tool I've owned.
I worked in a Model/ Pattern shop years ago and was taught how to put a decent edge on cutters and chisels. If you were caught using a hammer on a chisel, you were invited to pack your stuff and get out.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

firefighter ontheside

Tom I like how yours are in toolboxes ready for use.  That is what they were made for wasn't it.
The one I use most often is a Millers Falls #9.  I use it in conjunction with my jointer.  When a board is very bowed, I will take off some material at each end before I take it to the jointer instead of making so many passes across the jointer.  I'd like to come across a Stanley No. 8 too.  The No. 7 I have came in a plastic tote of planes that I got a few years ago.  I came a cross an ad that said "Tote full of planes $40".
I told the guy I would be right over.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

firefighter ontheside

Very nice TR.  I have some sort of router plane, but its not a 45.  The curved plane is neat too.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom King

I don't have a 45 Combination plane, but do have a couple of 55's.  With a set of Hollows and Rounds molding planes, and a few other specialized supporting planes, you can make any kind of molding.  Sometimes I just need a few feet of a particular type of molding to replace an old one that's missing.

I have a bunch of different Smooth planes with irons cambered so I can match new work to original plane textures on the old museum houses I work on.

Tom King

Here's one of my molding plane toolboxes.  There are multiple boxes like this. I bought these back when you could get a "small packet" shipped from the UK for 6 bucks.  Planes typically went for $15 and the seller found them at "boot sales" (car boot sales on weekends).  Ones from the UK must have been kept in houses, since they're typically in much better condition than ones from here that seem like they were always kept in barns.

Almost every one I bought from the UK only needed sharpening.  I never touched any of them to redo a finish, or even needed to tune a wedge.

Tom King

Sometimes I couldn't find the exact profile I needed, so I'd modify an old one.  If I had a few sash to make, I'd make it by hand instead of ordering 2 grand worth of custom cutters.

I hated to redo this plane, since it was from 1735, but I had only paid 15 bucks for it, and it was a profile that I'd never seen here.

Profile to match was guided by copy made from actual old window using Plumbers Epoxy putty. Pictrue of planed profile was before I was quite finished regrinding the iron, but I went to work with it when I got it right, and forgot to take any more pictures.

btulloh

I'll have to take some pictures of mine. I don't collect them for show but to use them, so I suppose that's a collection. They make for faster work in many cases, even if you're a machine guy.  Like anything else, it comes down to choosing the best tool for a particular task. It also requires having the planes tuned up, sharp and ready to rock. It's not real time consuming once everything is properly tuned. 

I'd like to have a 45 or 55, but haven't added one yet.  I do have a set wooden hollows and rounds, and a couple rabbet planes. 

One of my favorites is a Japanese type smoother that I made out of purple heart with a Hock iron. 

HM126

firefighter ontheside

Remember that tote full of planes I mentioned?  I decided to get it down and see what was in there.  It turns out there is another Stanley 9 1/2 in there.  It's nowhere near as nice as the one I got yesterday.  There is one No. 5 Stanley and 3 more that are not stanley but same size plane.  These are all rusty and crusty and need some work.  I also found my Stanley No. 78.  It was hiding somewhere other than on my shelf.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

Firefighter, found the curved plane at auction and had never seen that type, adjustable to concaved or convexed, unique.  At the same auction found a complete set of blades for the 45.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

rusticretreater

I have a box of old planes, shoulder planes, moulding planes, etc. that I bought at an auction years ago.  Some have identifiers on them. Most are early 1900's. They do look like they were kept in a barn.  Seems like one of those things that all woodworkers do.  No shortage of planes in the world!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

olcowhand

Quote from: Texas Ranger on August 14, 2022, 09:30:57 PM
Firefighter, found the curved plane at auction and had never seen that type, adjustable to concaved or convexed, unique.  At the same auction found a complete set of blades for the 45.
That "Curved" Plane is generally referred to as a Compass Plane. Quite rare. Very Collectable. Nice catch, TR.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Tom King

Quote from: Texas Ranger on August 14, 2022, 09:30:57 PM
Firefighter, found the curved plane at auction and had never seen that type, adjustable to concaved or convexed, unique.  At the same auction found a complete set of blades for the 45.
It's a 113.  I have a Record 20 that serves the same purpose.  I looked for a good condition 113, but never found one back before the internet.

Tom King

Here are a few more.  A Record 778 Rabbet plane I bought new, one of the old 55's, a Record Large Shoulder plane, an old Round molding plane, and a Primus Improved Smoother, all called into service to make a few feet of replacement Wainscoting cap for an 1828 house, out of Heart Pine.

Tom King

My favorite time to use hand planes is in Winter inside one of the old houses, in front of a fire in a fireplace.  People pay me to do this.  Seen to the right is a Record 010 Rabbet plane, and a Record Small Shoulder Plane.  Left on the vise is one of my several no.4's.

Clark

I like to think I'm a user more than a collector but I have a collection, some of which needs to be sold off. So I'm not sure.

I first got into planes when I was using a friend's shop. It always seemed I either ran out of adjustment on the power tool I was using or didn't have a way to reliably take off that last 32nd of an inch to make things really fit. Also, I hated sanding.

Enter the hand plane. Difficult to run out of adjustment, easy to take a small bite off and if you've sharpened it well, sandpaper is a thing of the past. 

It truly amazes me how many people are happy with their jointer when a hand plane will give a much better glue line, not require you to be 100% square but it will take a little more time. Since I've always tried to enjoy wood working taking time to do it has been a much happier approach.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

firefighter ontheside

I couldn't help myself today and bought some more.  I don't have them in hand yet.  I asked the seller to take them to my firehouse where one of the guys working today paid the money for them.  I will get the planes when I go to work on Monday and pay him back.  There are some nice planes, one of which is another Stanley #7 which are cool.  There is also a Stanley bedrock, but I don't know which number.  I don't have any bedrocks, so that will be nice.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Adam

I have and use a few different ones from time to time. My favorite, is one of my prize possessions, it's a #8 Lie Nelson jointer plane I bought myself after I sold a piece of furniture I made. I can join two long boards together with it far better than using most common 4 or six inch powered jointers.

I'm just a hobbiest , but my process is rip boards on an old American made Delta unisaw with a Forrest woodworker 2 blade and Biesmyer rip fence, then a few swipes with the number 8, glue it up, and it will look like it grew there!

firefighter ontheside

I picked up my newest planes yesterday.  I got a Stanley #3, #4 and #4 1/2, plus the Stanley #7.  I will get the stanley bedrock in the picture soon.  I don't know what number it is yet.  I'm excited about all the planes.  Aside from the #7 I didn't have any of these yet.  The #7's are cool and I'm happy to have 2 now.  Maybe I should get one of the 7's in working order.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

low_48

A picture of my bench plane collection. 3,#1 planes, Stanley, Lie Nielsen in bronze, Lie Nielsen in white bronze Woodcraft Anniversary. Then #2 through #8 in both smooth sole and corrugated sole. Started collection in the early 1980s 

firefighter ontheside

That's a nice collection you have there.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Hamajama

I broke out the size to flatten a bench top lamination while we lived in VA but they are still in storage for now since we've moved back.  

I taught my fiancé what to look for in planes as she goes to various antique stores and estate sales. I've added three or four more since. Still haven't found a #7 yet.

From left: #8, #6 flat, #6 ribbed, #5 1/2, #4 (Kobalt—I thre this one away), and unknown shoulder plane. 

firefighter ontheside

I had a second #7 a few weeks ago, but sold it to a woodworking friend from another site.  They are cool planes.  I doubt I will ever use it, but it looks great on my shelf.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!