iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shop Lighting

Started by Tom K, September 21, 2022, 11:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom K

I'm in the finishing stages of my wood workshop and have a lighting question.

In my planning prior to wiring I did a photometric plan based on 50 foot candles (FC) and came out with a lighting layout that I followed and picked out a fixture to match. Before I ordered the fixture I found a discrepancy in the manufacturers info and realized what they were calling a 5,000 lumen fixture is actually only 4,000 lumen, which would give me 40 FC instead of 50 FC. This made me dive back down the hole of how much light is enough, and how much is too much.

I see recommendations for anywhere from 40-100 FC, or 35-150 lumen/sf for shop areas. I checked my current work area and it's only around 10 FC, or 10 lumen/sf. It's not bad but I'm not sure I need 5-10x that amount of light. I'm looking at 2 fixtures, a 4,000 lumen non dimmable and a 5,600 lumen dimmable, the lower output fixture is half the price. Both fixtures I'm looking at are surface mounted 4' strip, wrap around LED's with adjustable light temperatures 3500-5000k.

So, how many foot candle, or lumen/sf do you have in your general wood shop and are you happy with it?

Edit - I had Lumen and Lux switched in my notes.

btulloh

I'm in the planning process for shop lighting too.  I've seen the figure 50-150 lumens/sq ft which is a lot different than what you're seeing. Hmmm . . . Maybe someone here can shed some light on the subject. 

Curious about your fixtures that can vary color temp. That could be a good thing but I haven't seen something like that in my limited searching. Can you post a link?
HM126

Tom K

After I posted I notice I had LUX figures instead of lumen/sf, I fixed that now. Lux is lumen per square meter.

Foot candle numbers are pretty close to the same as lumen/SF

A lot of the wrap around fixtures are adjustable. Lumen level will vary with light color.

C-Lite LED Wrap Light | Wattage and CCT Selectable | C-WR-B-SCCT Series | Up to 5300 Lumens | 120-277V | White

doc henderson

so my shop is old enough that I had fixtures for incandescent lighting.  i bought 300 watt bulbs and have 4 switches/circuits to handle the amps.  I have 4 rows of 7 lights for a total of 28 in my wood shop.  it is 34 x 50 feet.  i then went to 400w equiv. compact fluorescent and that was nice to use less energy.  i could have used 1 switch and circuit for the whole shop.  As those started to fail, I now have the hoockie medium based LEDs with four adjustable wings.  I got "daylight" at about 5000 lumens.  small amp draw and very bight.  came to about 15 bucks a light.  hope they last a while.  you have to learn to not look at them directly.  or you see spots.  with 28 sources of light, not a problem with shadows on my work.  I have a 4 foot light bar above my little paint booth.  each circuit has 12 g wire and 20 amp breakers for the record.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

When putting new flood lights on the front of a firehouse years ago, I found out that you couldn't compare the lumens from an led fixture to that from a halogen bulb because the led shines all of  its light down where the halogen shines light up on part of the fixture.  That light gets wasted, but still is counted in total lumens.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom K

Yes, each type of fixture will throw a slightly different light path. Using the right inputs for a photometric plan takes all of that into consideration, along with reflectivity of the walls, ceiling, floor, and work area height.

Thanks for you input Doc. Using Doc's numbers it looks like he was originally at 74 lumen/sf (4500 lumen per 300w bulb x 28 = 126,000 lumen / 1700 sf = 74.11 lumen/sf) With the all new 5000 lumen bulbs he would be at 82 lumen/sf. That's more then I was planning on. 

So Doc, would you say that would be the minimum light level you would want? Too much? Or not enough?

On a side not, Doc would have went from 8400w (70 amps) of power draw with the original lights down to 1260w (10.5 amps) of draw with the new LED bulbs.

doc henderson

It is plenty, and not sure you can have too much.  new comers comment on it and at night it looks like a lit up crash site, minus the crash till your eyes adjust. i like no shadows on my work when trying to read a tape or cut something.  yes i feel silly with fours light switches, and even more so as i wired in 3 ways switches to the two door, 25 feet apart.  I really only go in and out of the main door, and the French doors in the middle are for loading and unloading directly into the center  of the shop.  have to train your self not to look up although true of any bulb, but these are bright.  i do have two switches on a single 20 amp braker now.  If you know 3 ways, I wasted some wire going four circuits to the panel and 4 lined between the switches and then for lines of wire going to each line of lights.  now a single switch or 2 three-ways would work.  after you figure out 3 way switches, i guess you just feel obligated to use them.   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ljohnsaw

I hate shadows and belong to the camp you ca never have too much! :D  My work space is 18x26 split into three level in my "crawl space".  First level the ceiling is about 10', middle about 8' and the top is about 6'6".

So I initially installed two rows of three twin bulb 4' florescent fixtures.  Yeah, it was great!  But, in the winter they would take a while to light or sometimes not. :-\

So I took them down and put up at least two old style porcelain single bulb fixtures for each 4' fluorescent.  On the first level with the high ceiling over my metal lathe, I put two twin bulb outdoor flood fixtures.  Initially I loaded them with GE "energy savers" 90 watt incandescent.  With the availability of cheap LED bulbs, they have 100w equivalents in bright white.  Nice!  I have no idea what the total light output is, but it's plenty!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

You brought to mind a story I had forgotten. I worked for a company that bought a warehouse across town. It was a blank building and we spent a year on interior construction. The boss GC'd and designed it. Mezzanines, clean rooms, new 480 power lots of fancy new tech. He got the best of everything including state of the art lighting. When we finally moved in and got settled, a lot of the guys were complaining that ot was too bright and they were all getting headaches. Everybody wore a hat with a brim to shield their eyes. Finally they called in a lighting engineer and he said they were the wrong lights and way too bright. Ripped them all out and replaced. No problems or complaints after that, but a rough first couple of months. One of the guys kept sunscreen in his tool box as a joke and would offer it to visitors. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

well there is always someone!   :snowball: :D :D :D

Old Greenhorn

The boss was right proud of those lights but after a while even he was going home with a headache every night and his eyes started bothering him a lot. The prior building was kind of darkish and he was trying to fix that and he did but nearly made everyone fo blind. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

peakbagger

I was touring a large beverage distributor warehouse. Every LED light is on an occupancy sensor. The warehouse is pitch black until you step through the door, the lights then light up above your head and then they follow you through the building turning on and turning off as you go. Its kind of creepy initially but we got used to it. The plant engineer can also remotely address sections of the building and adjust the overall light levels, he had a daytime setting and a nighttime setting.

Tom King

With good reviews from people I trust on a woodworking forum, I bought these to put up in the mechanic shop.  Sorry, I haven't had a chance to get them up yet, so can't really comment on how good they are.

It seems little sense to buy tube lights of any kind any more.  

Barrina LED Shop Light, 4FT 40W 5000LM 5000K, Daylight White, V Shape, Clear Cover, Hight Output, Linkable Shop Lights, T8 LED Tube Lights, LED Garage Light 4 Foot with Plug (Pack of 10) - - Amazon.com

Don P

It looks like I got the 2200 lumen version of those at the same 5000k color temp. They work fine, it is a bright white. I have wondered what is considered "correct" for color.

21incher

My shop is small and I have 20 of the porcelain fixtures with 1600lm LED bulbs that have a 90+ CRI. Then I have fluorescent fixtures over my table saw and workbench. All tools have a swing arm lamp with a high CRI 1600lm led. Then I have 4 large LED video spotlights over my bench for making videos that have a color range from 2000 to 6000 and are dimmable they also adjust the color temp to work with my camera and remove the color problems leds create in videos. Also some big LED video panels that can be used at any machine to reduce shadows. As you get older and cataracts you appreciate more light and the higher CRI rated bulbs are the closest to incandescent color temperature. I have those 4 panel flex lights in my pole barn and the quality of light from mine is terrible for working.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

rusticretreater

In my current 17' x 25' 2 car garage, I have two 7000 lumen led panels and two old florescent fixtures.  Its pretty bright and I have no real issues.

I am currently wiring my garage/workshop, a 30x40 metal building with 12 foot legs and open arch trusses.  There are braces at 45 degrees at each end of the truss.  The building will be made into two 20x30 halves by building an internal wall.  In each shop I will be hanging 7000 lumen panels on the braces creating 45 degree angles of light from both sides with an 18000 lumen light centered above, giving 32,000 lumens.  That works out to 53.3 lumens per sqft.

The lights in the garage area will be offset towards the center wall, hopefully allowing them to shine under hoods of cars somewhat.  In the workshop area, the lights will be centered in the workspace.  I also have some halogen work lights on stands.  I hope that will be good enough.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Tom K

Thanks for all the input guys. Luckily I'm still young-ish so lighting levels don't affect me that much.....yet. 

I do have 3 circuits wired in, a 3 way to both man doors with a hand full of general purpose lights, a block on the "work" end, and another block on the wood storage end. 

Some of the lights I've been looking at are also linkable so it would be somewhat easy to add more later. 

I should stop out to the cabinet shop at work and check what those light levels are just for a reference. 

Most building uses are pretty prescriptive on lighting levels, it surprised me how much it varied for wood shops.

btulloh

When I work with walnut or some dark jungle wood the lights get dimmer.  Hmmm . . .  
HM126

Walnut Beast

The lamp that makes up the majority of T5 lighting sales is the 54-watt T5HO, which produces 5,000 lumens. T5HO lamps emit more lumens per lamp than T8s or T12s. In fact, one T5HO lamp emits the light output of two T8 lamps.  

To get absolutely great lighting I would put 150,000 lumens in a 33X 50 ' area 

Walnut Beast

I have High output T 5 lights that are 5,000 lumens each in fixtures of six bulbs. One fixture is 30,000 lumens. They are and have been absolutely trouble free. Flip a switch on at any temperature and instant bright light. I have 10 fixtures of 6 bulbs that are open with a mirror back for a total of 300,000 lumens. Like all EPA stuff they are phasing these out. So stock up or they are making a direct LED replacement that's compatible T5 HO fixtures. One note if you have lower ceilings and all white in the shop that makes for brighter light

kantuckid

When I relighted my shop from the old fat tubes to a newer fixture and tube choice I considered LED's and went with T-8's as I like their light best. My newer, used old tubes we use up in our basement. White shop surfaces with lots of windows gives me light I like.
 ADV.com my motorcycle place has LED threads with hundreds of posts if you have a few idle days to read about LED's :D
Those huge numbers of life hours they are supposed to have-read up on that notion. The testing that leads to the fantastical numbers has not been done as you'd think. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Tom K

Yeah, I find it amusing that a light is rated for 100,000 hours. That's 11 years at 24hrs a day, there has to be a whole lot of "theoretical" in that testing. 

I'm slightly limited in my light choice as I want them to be a surface mounted fixture, and to fit between the ribs of the liner panel in the ceiling. I'm still looking at fixtures, but it seems like around 6000+/- lumen is about max for that type of fixture. I'm also limited in mounting height since my ceiling is only 11'-4", most of the higher output fixture required a higher mounting height.

Larry

The more sources of light one has the less shadows.  One of my better ideas was using white corrugated tin for my ceiling.  It really reflects the light.

When I converted to LED's about 6 years ago I tried different ones.  I ended up liking the daylight 5,500K and higher bulbs the best.  I also tried clear and frosted bulbs, settled on frosted as the clear are too bright when looking at them directly.  My shop is really bright but I've noticed the light dimming slightly over the years.  Partly because a few of the individual LED's in a bulb die, and I suppose the light intensity decreases over the years.  I also need to wipe dust off the bulbs about once a year.  Surprising how much difference this makes.

Energy cost's are something to consider.  When I converted from fluorescent to LED's my electric bill dropped $20 a month.  The reduced cost paid for my conversion in a couple of years.

Even though I have great lighting I still put in task lighting over most of the machines and bench's.

You can look up shop lighting articles in the Fine Woodworking index online and maybe read a few for free.  Most are dated being before LED's.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Walnut Beast

Larry is right on the money of the best light spectrum. Mine are 6500k.  
Like I said a T5 54 watt High Output are going to be tough to match at 5,000 lumens per bulb. You put one of those low profile fixtures with mirror back of six bulbs I guarantee you won't be thinking about light problems. 

Crusarius

I do not understand how you guys can tolerate the blue light of 5000k+ temperatures. I prefer the 4000k it gives a much more "white" light and frosted bulbs is the only way to go. I would not even consider unfrosted after working in a building that had them. they were terrible.

If you need to fit in between trusses or floor joists look at some LED panels. they really are the nicest thing I want :)

Ianab

Quote from: Tom K on September 22, 2022, 12:14:12 PMYeah, I find it amusing that a light is rated for 100,000 hours. That's 11 years at 24hrs a day, there has to be a whole lot of "theoretical" in that testing. 

That's basically a theoretical max, based on the known way that the silicon in the LED chip degrades over time. The light output generally drops off over time until the LED eventualy becomes useless. This is greatly affected by operating temperature and the amount of current that's pushed through. Cheaper LED lamps tend to push the envelope a little, driving less LED chips at higher current to save cost. This lowers the efficiency a bit, and soon kills the LEDs. Better lamps run less current per chip, which improves the efficiency and extends the life, but of course costs more as they use more individual LEDS. 

We think nothing of a LED that's a standby lamp for the TV lasing for 10 years. That's because it's a small low current LED, not getting hot and bothered, so there is no reason a LED can't last for 10 years, but of course back in the real world you can get corrosion, vibration, thermal cycling or a single component failing. If the lamp was made by the lowest bidder, then corners were probably cut. 

This link explains "colour temp" which is a measure of how "Red" ir "Blue" the light source is. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Color_temperature_scale

Regular "daylight" is 5-6,500 K, depending on the time of day and weather. Candles, incandescent and "warm white" lamps come in at 1,700-3,000 range and have a more "orange" tinge. Now our brains adjust so we don't think of that indoor light as "orange", but if you see the 2 lamps side by side (or turn of the colour compensation of your camera) it's very noticeable. 

But for "work" areas you want the daylight spectrum, the incandescent is better for living / relaxing as that's what we have been used to at night since Zog the Caveman discovered fire "D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Walnut Beast

The 6500k bulbs I have that are frosted produce a super bright white light. I know that blue color light your talking about. I don't care for it either. 

Ianab

Quote from: Crusarius on September 22, 2022, 05:13:59 PMdo not understand how you guys can tolerate the blue light of 5000k+ temperatures

If you install some skylights and let sunshine in, that's what you are going to get. It appears "blue" compared to a 2500K lamp, but compared to sunshine it's "normal". 

But yes it's a personal preference, we perceive that spectrum as "harsher" for some reason. So you don't want to use it in your dining room or other "relaxing" places.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

RPF2509

For my 12 X 24 shop space with 14' ceilings I put in 9 LED 4' long (look like the old fluorescents)  Its good but I still have individual spotlights on specific machines.  More is better.

bigblockyeti

I installed the replacement LED tubes in my old fluorescent fixtures but you had to have an operable ballast for them to work.  I was really looking for the kind where the ballast was eliminated and the sockets were hardwired right from the junction box.  I couldn't find them at the time.  In my current shop (garage) I had a only a trio of incandcent fixtures when I moved in, those were replace with six 48" fixtures from Omni-Ray lighting.  The light they give off is great but the build quality is sub-par and the owner was a jerk when I asked him about ordering more flimsy mounting hardware to replace the stuff that broke.  I originally found the company from them spamming Craigslist all over the place, that should have been a red flag but the price was decent (not great) and most of the reviews were good.  They need little improvement to be a quality product and the company sold to someone with a whole lot more business sense.

doc henderson

I have 4 sky lights in two area in the wood shop.  help some but great with lights off with some light coming in.

Tom K

Thanks for all the input. That lighting look good Doc.

Sorry Walnut, but I don't plan on going backwards and putting in old style T5's or T8's .I don't think we have spec'd out any fluorescent fixtures at work in a 3-4 years. I would also think if you using frosted lenses your muting your color down. I'm not a fan of blue light either, 5,000-5,500k seems right to me which is probably close to were you're at with frosted lenses.  Also those T5 panels should be mounted 14'+ or higher.

Ianab brought up the "cheaper" fixture topic talking about fixture life, which I think is interesting. I was talking to a buddy of mine that works maintenance for a local school and he didn't seem to think name brand vs off brand made a big difference. He has had just as many name brand fixture go bad in a month or two as he has off brand. Granted he is talking more wallpak's and fluorescent retrofit kits. Both of the electrical engineers I work with quite a bit seem to always spec out a Lithonia fixture. Whether that's because of a good local rep, or a good fixture I'm not sure.

Ianab

Quote from: Tom K on September 23, 2022, 06:10:35 AMIanab brought up the "cheaper" fixture topic talking about fixture life, which I think is interesting. I was talking to a buddy of mine that works maintenance for a local school and he didn't seem to think name brand vs off brand made a big difference.

Name brands aren't immune to the "make it cheaper" thing, 

Can you make this $10 LED any cheaper? 
Well if we drive the LED's to the max we won't need as many, so only $8, but they will die after 5 years,
No problem, we only warranty them for 3 years (and I will have retired with a nice pension by then) 

But often it's the driver circuitry that fails. A single LED works on 3 or 4 colts DC, mains power is 120-240 ac depending on where you live, So there is some clever electronics in that lamp controlling the power. If that fails there is a puff of magic smoke and the lamp is dead. 

kantuckid

Quote from: Tom K on September 22, 2022, 12:14:12 PM
Yeah, I find it amusing that a light is rated for 100,000 hours. That's 11 years at 24hrs a day, there has to be a whole lot of "theoretical" in that testing.

I'm slightly limited in my light choice as I want them to be a surface mounted fixture, and to fit between the ribs of the liner panel in the ceiling. I'm still looking at fixtures, but it seems like around 6000+/- lumen is about max for that type of fixture. I'm also limited in mounting height since my ceiling is only 11'-4", most of the higher output fixture required a higher mounting height.
The lack of creditable LED technical testing has been well documented and it's not limited to Chinese junk either. I'm not totally dissing LED's but they are often lacking in certain respects. I've been using them as safety factor lighting on motorcycles for a long time and have thrown more than a few away when they died. The low draw makes them great candidates on two wheels. My Vespa scooter has them all over the place, hit the turn signals or brakes and WOWEE!
FWIW, when I was involved with making a decision to re-light my shop I visited a local electrical supply who was co-incidentally re-lighting their store front and shelving areas. That discussion led to me choosing T-8 bulbs and fixtures.
My original shop lights were done at a time when I broke and I got a really low priced deal to buy a bunch of school classroom lights with lots of bulbs. I quickly regretted that choice as the dust would cover my bulbs quickly-it was a bad choice hands down. The T-8 warmup time isn't a problem ever as that small amount of time never bothers me.  
I built skylights into my shop but was prior to the better plastics available now and when they had clouded up, I roofed over them.

Hey Doc, how do you walk around in there? :D

doc henderson

I have a path.  :)  Covid has not helped with just getting in the shop when I can.  some is habit, as my dad was the same way.  I can find most anything.  I will give most anything away, but was raised to not throw things away.  I hope things slow down so I can organize this winter.  the trouble then is I have trouble finding stuff.  lol.

21incher

All I will add is CRI ( color rendering index ) affects the quality  of your light and the colors you see. Pay for higher CRI to get the best quality of color rendering.  100 is equal to incandescent and it is not worth  putting  in a shop if it's  below  90. You get what  you pay for in leds.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

jimbarry

Quote from: Tom King on September 21, 2022, 05:26:04 PM
With good reviews from people I trust on a woodworking forum, I bought these to put up in the mechanic shop.  Sorry, I haven't had a chance to get them up yet, so can't really comment on how good they are.

It seems little sense to buy tube lights of any kind any more.  

Barrina LED Shop Light, 4FT 40W 5000LM 5000K, Daylight White, V Shape, Clear Cover, Hight Output, Linkable Shop Lights, T8 LED Tube Lights, LED Garage Light 4 Foot with Plug (Pack of 10) - - Amazon.com
I put similar 4ft lighting in one of our work rooms in the basement. Went from a single LED bulb to two 4 foot strips. Big difference. I took the remaining four 4 foot lighting sections and put them in my garage workshop, which is basically a cave so any lighting is an improvement.

kantuckid

Quote from: doc henderson on September 23, 2022, 10:18:12 AM
I have a path.  :)  Covid has not helped with just getting in the shop when I can.  some is habit, as my dad was the same way.  I can find most anything.  I will give most anything away, but was raised to not throw things away.  I hope things slow down so I can organize this winter.  the trouble then is I have trouble finding stuff.  lol.
Mine gesticulates between order and mayhem, mostly it's the benches though, not the entire cubic feet of space volume... :D
As I've aged I've done some haul offs such as metal this and thats. Aging away from gas and TIG welding I sold the welders and hauled off most metal too. Now I'm at Metal Depot buying it and finding a welder to stick it. I had saved wood shorts from many years of projects and gave most away to a local crafter who didn't even know the species of some. Last Monday I gave a PU load to a guy, age 82 for bird houses. He wanted a certain width- I asked him if he owned a saw. ;D

aigheadish

I've recently bought several handfuls of the weird mini-ceiling-fan style LEDs for the shop, garage, and basement. I got mine at Menards, they appear to be the warmer colors (I too dislike the cold blue) at a claimed 4000 lumens. There are 4 in my 14x23ish shop and it lights up pretty well. I also have a couple of the 4 footers over the benches when needed. I'm very pleased with these. As I'm thinking about it though maybe I mixed two warm with two cold color temps in the shop, so it's still daylighty but not as harsh. 

I'm on the side of there can't be enough light. the 300,000 lumens someone mentioned above seems like it should do the trick!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

stopped by my friend Jimmy's and saw his new do dad.  it is a power strip with adjustable spotlights.  not bad for an old guy to do detailed work with.

aigheadish

I love that he's got that light bolted to a nice piece of wood!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

we use so much ERC, that I did not even see that.   :o :o :o   :)

Tom K

So to summarize all the post so far that have lumen numbers & square foot values that I can decipher 

Doc - 72 lumen/sf old & 84  w/ new lights 
Rustictheater - 33 old garage & 53 new shop
Aigheadish - 50
Walnut Beast - recommends 90 lumen /sf.
21insher - :)sounds like a boat load, maybe enough to make me go blind :D

Tom K

I wanted to add a quick update on where I ended up. I ended up being right around 55 lumen/sf. I did add a high receptacle above the lathe and miter saw locations so I can add an additional strip light if I need to. I have most of the tools moved into the shop, and so far I'm happy with the lighting levels. Hopefully I'm still happy after I get everything arranged and start working out there.

aigheadish

Man, all that bright, clean space is beautiful, Tom!

Crusarius

how do you work with so much space?

bigblockyeti

Looks like someone needs to join OWWM.org and start adding tons and tons of old iron into that shop!

doc henderson

Tom K

Well other then roughing out a bowl there really hasn't been any work done in there yet. I still have a few more tools to move in, and then a few more that need updated, and lots of cabinets and benches to build to be able to put everything away. It's been a long process and I'm happy to almost be ready to make some sawdust in there. 

After almost 30 years of woodworking it's nice to finally have my space for all the "stuff" I've collected over the years.

Thank You Sponsors!