iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas crafts and gifts 2022.

Started by doc henderson, December 03, 2022, 07:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I could not find a generic Christmas thread.  I know the sled should be here and Larry and his ornaments.  I was minding my own business and this lady came into my shop uninvited and convinced me to make a card holder.  She was reasonable as it did not have to match Esty or Pinterest exactly.  spent a bit of research and started cutting from old ERC boards I had no use for anyway.  it was saw mill experimentation, and used it on the "little Library" I made for one of her friends.  

It will get clothes pins to hold Christmas cards.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Pretty cool! Glad you started the thread!

beenthere

doc
You are a soft touch. Clever and good project.

Even without the wood decoupage.

Making such a "tree" from the slab/edging pile would/might be interesting. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

the material was my wife.  thanks.  everone feel free to add projects here.  kind of a seasonal whatcha makin.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Cypress board for the troop.  

charcuterie board for a bidder at a fund raiser for a coworkers husband injured in an explosion with his job, and spent time in the burn unit.  It is going to their SIL.  custom size and engraving.   

Christmas bench for the grandson across the street.  from their tree that was cut down.  blue stain pine.

big mama charcuterie board, for my buddy Dallas and his wife Amy.  From an Elm cut from his pasture.  oil is wet and was wiped after soaked in.

Walnut Beast

Looks great Doc! What oil did you use?

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

I buy the boos block mystery oil with a bit of wax emulsion to help the sheen and to retard water.  mineral oil alone is fine, and esp. for large boards.  Lowes carries a butcher block oil and is prob. the same.  food safe MO used to be 18 bucks a gallon but is now up to 25 or so.  boos is 55 bucks a gallon or 15 bucks for 16 oz.  You can get a 16 oz. bottle at most pharmacies.  I am not sure there a non-food grade MO.  I have made over a few hundred charcuterie boards.  Most of us older guys never heard of them, but any college student or graduate under 30 knows all about them.  Could be a charcuterie chef.  I put the name and pronunciation as well as the definition on the back of most of the boards I make and often my brand.  with a laser engraver, it really personalizes the boards.

doc henderson

well got the lights and the baby clothespins on my wife's Christmas card trees.  3 AA batteries.  

In talking with the lady that organized the Luminary, she told me that they had tried to make fire starters in the past and they did not work well.  I had asked for leftover candles so the wax could be recycled into these Fire starters.  I had tins from last year so I boxed her up a little over a dozen, and tried engraving the anodized red color and it engraved perfectly.  looked classy.
and yes, I have given these away in the past.  someone thought since I place a wick in them, that they were like a candle and she almost caught her mantle on fire.

doc henderson

made a second charcuterie board.  It is a sister to the first one (book matched) so one will go to the winner of the bidding and the other too the nurse manager I work with, whose husband was burned.  so sister in laws.  one oiled the other not yet.  same last name.  

Tom K

While not wood shop items, this is a group of Christmas presents from the shop non the less, just from the steel shop again this year. My wife wanted some incense holders to give to her directors.

doc henderson

Nice Tom.  was that new material and if so, what was the starting dimension?  or is it repurposed?

Tom K

Those start out as 1x1x1/8" angle about 13" long. The body portion stays around 9-10" and the stem portion gets drawn out smaller and longer before getting wound up. I think I ended up making 22 of these, all new material.

doc henderson

My boy scout dad buddy and our yard guy came to make 3 more boards.  one for his wife, and one each for his son and daughter.  

here is mark working on one this past week for his daughter that is a nurse.  worked ED but has moved to cath lab.
any guess (educated or otherwise) on wood species?

doc henderson

My wife has been working her new job.  pharmacist with Dillons/Kroger.  she has been working on her embroidery machine to make fancy Christmas cards.  On my list was to find some boxed cards today.  5 places out, but Dillons "marketplace" has some nice ones.  I decided to use the engraver to "sign" and personalize them.  I have poor handwriting.   :)

Walnut Beast

Looks great Doc! Uneducated guess on the second one down looks like Elm

olcowhand

Quote from: doc henderson on December 21, 2022, 11:36:25 PMI have poor handwriting.  

You know, @doc henderson - I was going to find a way to ask a real Doctor about Handwriting. It's auspiciis, ouspicius, timely that you made that comment.
I recently received a Hand-written card from a Doctor (MD to be exact), and the card, envelope and all enclosures were actually legible! This is contrary to not only the prevailing general belief, but also my personal history of reading prescriptions. I've long suspected that Doctors receive secret training to write in "Prescription-ese" over their normal Handwriting, much like Draftsmen of old or calligraphers- adopting a specific specialized script or "font" when writing prescriptions as opposed to, say- greeting cards or checks.
I must admit, most of my suspicion is based on the fact that my "Religious- school" upbringing would not have allowed me to advance in my studies if I demonstrated such penmanship (plus I would have had to improve my skills with very sore knuckles).
So please inform us if my suspicion is correct, if it's not in conflict with a secret oath Doctors must take before they receive their first prescription pad. Thanks.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

doc henderson

Steve, as usual you are correct.  Many of the medication errors in hospitals or pharmacies were due to poor handwriting.  now most are sent electronically.  you would think that would solve the problem, but now there are premade scripts for many meds.  the systems can be easy or hard.  so, if you click on a script that you think is what you want, and do not read till the end, you may send it wrong.  my wife is a pharmacist.  some get called in and left on a recording.  I have spent time with my wife calling me with a "do you think they meant this is instead of that?"  also on rounds, a nurse may call a summit to have 4 of us read an order to make out what is written.  
I do have several modes or fonts.  many things are needed.  we are taught how to write prescriptions.  My signature is my toughest thing to read.  remember a signature is not just your written name, it is used so often that we speed up and abbreviate.  each day arriving at the office, I would have a 3-inch-tall stack of lab and x-ray results to review.  to go quick and let my brain do its thing, I would sign the page as I read.  sign with my right hand and turning that page onto the upside-down stack all at once.  my full name for medical purposes in Bryan K. Henderson MD.  my scribble sig.  is the B and the D at the end.  I also have a 3 initial sig. and the letters are barely intelligible.  it is more like a fingerprint.  I had a script pad stolen, and the pharmacy tech. saw a forged prescription and said that is not Hendersons.  the patient who took it, was found with about 20 practice signatures, and did not fool the tech who had shadowed me, and is now a family practice doc.  the patient in a wheelchair was given diversion if he went into treatment.  I actually staked out his apartment, as law enforcement did not want a prisoner in a wheelchair since they have to accommodate that inmate.  
we also use Latin abbreviations and numbers.  so a 1 is a single slash with a line over it and a single dot over that.  a two is 2 lines and dots.  prn is the abbreviation for as needed.  PO is per Oram.  or by mouth.  also, PR per rectum.  IV is intra venous.  IM is intramuscular.  QD is one a day.  BID is bi in day, or two a day.  TID, QID is three and four times a day.  or Q6° is every 6 hours and so on.  if you specify a tab or capsule, you start with the weight of the med or strength of a suspension.  So I learned to write a prescription so it could be read and my signature recognized.  
So, to prescribe Advil.  It would be:

Advil 200 mg caplet

Sig: Take four q 6° prn fever or pain

may sub generic

the four could be written but usually like four Ts with dots or periods above each.  TTTT
was not sure how to illustrate that without it all getting out of sync. when posted.  

olcowhand

Very informative, Doctor. I probably would have gotten more out of your explanation if I could understand more than 5-6 syllables of your response (JK). 
You probably can guess why I asked, but your answer was far beyond what I expected. 
I now know more than I did before. Thanks again. 

doc henderson

I make my numbers good, not my sig.  

doc henderson

It is mostly derived over the years from Latin, and well entrenched in our training.  all in an effort to be precise.  so, if I seem too detail oriented in the way I post, I will blame it on my years of brainwashing.  It also can be off putting to patients when we keep asking the same question because they keep giving answers that have little to do with the original question.  It is more charming after years of converting lay language to doc stuff. and then back again.  you know that is how it is.  New docs find it irritating and cannot understand why people do not just answer the question, more like and attorney.  We have to make sure we do not assume so often ask the same question with qualifications and in different ways.  we all know what happens when we assume.   :snowball:   :D

olcowhand

Quote from: doc henderson on December 22, 2022, 12:45:35 PMwe all know what happens when we assume.

Well, one of the syllables in that word pretty much describes this writer- so it's an easy fit.
Either way, thank you for sharing that knowledge with us. I'm fairly confident many on this thread learned a lot.
Steve

doc henderson

doc henderson

ok, so not sure whether to post in my engraving thread or here.  so here you go.  got a call from an old acquaintance John.  I used to work with wife who is now a NP and her mom worked as a tech at the pharmacy with my wife.  John helped us out with our IT needs at home.  He now works with Idea tech our local fiber optic internet co.  He asked if I could engrave a knife.  so I tested when I got up for the day (working nights, not lazy).  He brought a knife that is being passed down a few generations.  the lady in the family had another knife engraved and it was "ruined".  Then had this one engraved on the blade but it was hard to see.  This is when you have to take your knife to the Doc to get it engraved.  no pressure.  I tried something new and we test ran the location and size of the engraving numerous times to be sure, prior to doing the knife.  

here you can see (or not) the blade engraving.

other side.  the challenge the curve to the handle, and the radius relief along the edges.  a square edge is more precise to register consistently.  the banana shape is like trying to get a cant out or a curved log.  handle is 5 inches long.  made a box to work in on the screen 1 x 5 inches.  the scale was huge.  the 0 to 0.i25 inch mark had 4 hash marks between.  so down to 1/32nd of an inch I think.  I made a test on a old coaster but could not be sure.  kept checking side to side and top to bottom, but could not do it all at once.  so I looked for some clear plastic to engrave and lay over.  got a piece from a battery operated light pack I had put on the cedar tree for work.  engraved it on a cut out piece the same size and register to the top left corner just like I would do with the knife.  

not bad, but a little hard to see.  made an adjustment and re-engraved on the same piece, but it was hard to tell the two apart, so got a piece from the plastic cover from the Christmas cards I worked on and it is a Christmas miracle.

It engraves RED!  you know, Like Santa!   :christmas:

He is going to tune up my old laptop so my wife can use it to engrave.

olcowhand

Nicely done, Doc!
I don't know much about "Laser" Engraving, but I can imagine it would be a little tough to deal with the Hollow- ground blade.
I love those old Shrades. I have an older Uncle Henry that has helped with every deer since ~1986.
Very nice work.
Merry Christmas to you and yours, @doc henderson
Best regards,
(the syllable before...) Ume

Thank You Sponsors!