iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is your favorite sliding miter saw blade

Started by 21incher, December 17, 2022, 10:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Just picked up one of the Bosch Glide 12 inch saws and I don't like the blade that came on it. Very thin kerf and chatters at startup plus seems to wander on exiting cuts in certain woods. My old Dewalt 12 inch that I sold several years ago because it was just to big and not accurate from wear I used the thin kerf Diablo blades that really weren't that great for perfect cuts but cheap and good for framing. My old 10 inch fixed saws I used Freud full kerf blades that cut nice but had high hook angles that don't do well on sliding saws. 
  Anyway I am trying to decide on an affordable blade that will give nice cuts in hardwoods and will run true. I figured I would ask the experts here to see what blades you use that provide good results on sliding miter saws.
  My saw is rated for up to .100 plate thickness max which I am thinking would provide the truest running blade but I see manufacturers are now mostly heading to really thin kerf blades for battery saws.
  Couldn't find any old threads about sliding miter saw blades so I started one hoping you would share your favorites that are off the shelf blades and not custom made.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

Guess no one uses a sliding miter saw. I decided to try one of the Tenryu full kerf blades from Japan after seeing no one recommended any. Looked at the woodworker but didn't want to spend $250 and found reviews that the Tenryu blades cut just as good and can be sharpened several times for $100 less. I will see. This blade has a -7 deg hook that works good with the Bosch saw I got from the reviews I could find. This is what the saw looks like

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

beenthere

I have the Dewalt 12-inch sliding compound miter saw.   Dewalt 12 inch blade and no complaints.
Can't say if it is my favorite, 'cause it is the only blade I have used. Works great and confirmed by a crew of carpenters that used it for all the chop saw and miter cutting in a house addition. Very smooth cuts. Crew was very impressed with this saw and blade.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Nice saw 21. I had that unit. I put a Diablo 85 dollar blade on and it cut really nice. About as nice as the Festool Kapex I had several years ago I also put a  laser for it on there and it worked great.

It's funny you mention the thin kerf blades . I tried one in my worm drive and it was garbage. On a long cut in walnut it was very disappointing. That went back and no more thin kerf

21incher

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 18, 2022, 11:41:24 AM
Nice saw 21. I had that unit. I put a Diablo 85 dollar blade on and it cut really nice. About as nice as the Festool Kapex I had several years ago I also put a  laser for it on there and it worked great.

It's funny you mention the thin kerf blades . I tried one in my worm drive and it was garbage. On a long cut in walnut it was very disappointing. That went back and no more thin kerf
I have been looking at this one and the Makita for several years now. Saw too many videos showing how there seems to be a problem with the Makita bearings causing a weird cupping in long cuts so I crossed that off my list. Amazon just had an amazing deal on this one that I jumped on. 
  I do not like thin kerf blades over 10 inches. I tried them on my old Dewalt and they were good for framing lumber but just potato chip in hardwoods. The blade that came on this saw is thin kerf and it rings like a church bell when the brake is applied also leaves fine tooth marks on hardwoods. Softer stuff like walnut cuts a little better. Supposedly the Tenryu Blades from Japan are hand stress relieved to run true and quiet.
  I love how smooth this saw moves and how rigid it is compared with the shaft type saws. Definitely a space saver but the sawdust collection needs some work.

terrifictimbersllc

I  have the Dewalt sliding compound miter also. No complaints with the 100T 12" blade that came with it nor the 12" Forrest chop saw blade i use with it also. Both have 1" bores.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

TroyC

I was just talking to a friend about miter and radial arm saw blades yesterday.

Ever have a miter or RAS pull into the wood too fast? At Jake's this past spring in one of the discussions it was mentioned that RAS and sliding miter blades should have a negative rake angle, different than table saws, simple miter, or chop saws. I never knew this, looked it up yesterday, and sure enough, seems like -5 degree is for RAS and miters. The blade tooth angle helps prevent the blade from pulling into the wood too quick. Don't know that I've ever seen one in the big box stores but am thinking about ordering one online.

21incher

Yes that is what makes the grind of a blade for a sliding saw important.  Negative hook angles can tear out the backside and cause problems with chip removal on some blades. They also cut slower in hardwood as the tooth count goes up and wood thickness grows. It's hard to find a good one size fits all blade for the current saws that can cut over 4 x 12s. I decide to try -7 degrees with an ATAFR grind for chip removal and backside splintering. 

Thank You Sponsors!