iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What bugs infest southern yellow pine in the SE USA?

Started by scsmith42, December 26, 2022, 11:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I'm familiar with termite holes, but have occasionally noticed lyctid powder post beetle sized holes in some of my air dried syp.  Per Gene Wengert, lyctid PPB do not infect SYP, and the holes don't have the tell-tale dark stain from ambrosia PPB.  

Do Old House Borer's have really small holes - such as 1/8" diameter?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Ambrosia beetles, which like wet wood and can take only a month for a complete life cycle, do like pine, especially above 20% MC.  The holes are 1/16" about.  Holes often have a purple ring around the edges, which is the ambrosia fungus that the female brings with her when she lays the eggs.  This fungus is food for the hatched eggs.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

scsmith42

Thanks Gene for chiming in, and it's good to see you posting again on the FF!

The holes that I'm seeing definitely resemble lyctid ppb exit holes, but there is no tell-tale purple ring around or inside them.

Do male ambrosia beetles not leave the purple rings, and therefore could have made these holes?

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Tom King

Old house borers leave holes about 1/16 and less.  Most of the time it looks like the wood has been shot with a shotgun.  Sometimes there are just a few widely scattered holes. Often there is a little pile of sawdust at the holes on upward facing boards.  No discoloration.  Working on old houses, I've seen Many of them, including an active population.

Tom King

While Termites need a water source, OHB don't seem to need one.

I've seen whole houses tented to be treated for them, but I haven't found them hard to kill if the wood is exposed.  Boracare seems to take care of them, and the holes give plenty of penetration.

Any kind of "metrin" will kill them, and I've killed them with it when I see a few holes with the telltale micro sawdust volcano.

Louzanna

From the youtube video that was posted the OHB make a more oval shaped bore while the PPB are smaller and round. Do both bugs leave a trail?

Thank You Sponsors!