iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Atv/small tractor log loader forestry trailer

Started by logman81, January 22, 2023, 01:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Hi all I'm looking into and giving serious thought and about ready to pull the trigger given I can get financing on a smaller atv/tractor log loader forestry trailer. I have both atv and a 31hp 4x4 duetz allis tractor to pull it. I've been specifically looking at the north forest equipment brand. 
This trailer is equipped with a 11' hydraulic log loader, hydraulic winch and is also equipped with 4x4 drive and articulated tongue all powered by a power pack. I'm looking to up my firewood harvesting on small jobs of two or more acres cutting out undesirable dead stand oak and small poor quality timber on my ten acres as well. I know I'll probably most likely use the tractor to pull it most of the time. My question is for people that own them and how well have they worked out for them and obviously they are a niche machine and not meant to handle huge logs.
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

Tin Horse

I would think you'll love it. I bought a JMS 170 a few years back. Mine is highway for off property work as well. One of the best things about it is a 2 speed winch mounted on the boom. Keeps logs a bit cleaner and you can move the boom a bit to help winching. I'm not using the tractor winch as much anymore. With frozen ground and snow the tractor winch. The rest of the year the grapple trailer. It's nice to be able to winch in, grab/ load and go. I'd have gone bigger but for weight limits on roads with a 3/4 ton. I've picked up other stuff for people ( spiral staircase) to lifting trusses on small buildings. If you're not going to be on the road then that's a great setup. The big tires are better in the bush. I almost got mine without the winch but it's worth the extra money.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

logman81

I'm also looking at another brand but it doesn't have 4x4 on the trailer isn't hot dipped galvanized frame or winch. The winch seems like a good idea but not sure if the hydraulic drive on the trailer is needed pulling it with a tractor. The hot dipped frame might be good for rust retention?

B.C.C. Lapp

I just watched a video of this loader and trailer combination from North Forest Equipment on their website.
It looks well designed and would certainly be an asset for any one needing to move lots of firewood size logs over rough ground. I like the part that the logs aren't "skidded" but carried because that avoids the inevitable mud and rocks stuck in the bark.  

I think using an ATV for pulling a trailer that heavy, even one that's self propelled, would beat the snot out of it in short order but I could be wrong about that.  But a small 4WD tractor would be perfect.  

Only down side I can see would be that I bet its awful pricey.    
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

logman81

Yes it seems to be one of the better fully optioned ones on the market. I watched a guy on YouTube called the log father he has the same trailer and loves it says its pretty powerful and easy to assemble to save a few bucks. 

Yes the nice thing is the logs will stay clean of dirt and rocks saving me from sharpening my saws so much. It's just under 12k without shipping or asymbly and you really can't put a price on saving your body and upping my productivity and making life easier as I get older. 

thecfarm

Buy it!!!
I would like to have one, but money.
I winch all my logs out. You can tell where I have been when I make a couple trips.
Years ago, we use to bring my firewood out on a trailer, 4 foot.  Had a hard time seeing where we went, even making 6-8 trips in the same place.
You will like it.
I really could use one. I am cutting across the road. It's a dirt road, but I have to lay down a couple small sticks to drag the wood across. Then I have to remove them after I cross the road.
Get power pack. There will be a time when you need it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

B.C.C. Lapp

If your tractor has rear remote hydraulics like my Kubota's that should work. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

stavebuyer

I would want a power pack as it adds so much versatility.

barbender

I think the winch and hydraulic drive would be worthwhile, even if pulling it with the tractor.
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

I agree the extras are probably worth it. It comes with a electric start Kohler 6.5 power pack. My tractor has remotes but they are used to power the front end loader. My tractor should have no trouble pulling it and I can probably put about 1/2 to 3/4 cord on it and wood stays clean and easy on the forest floor.

Wallys World

I have a Wallenstein Timber Talon. Self powered and surge brakes on it. I got the road legal version. I have hauled meany cords of wood with it.

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

John Mc

I have the Metavic M95 loader (9.5' reach) on their 13RF trailer (9 foot long deck, 6000# load capacity). It has the self-contained hydraulic power pack, so is not dependent on tractor hydraulics to run it. It also has a the hydraulic winch option, and the previous owner special ordered electric brakes (run by the brake controller in my pickup. The previous owner had a brake controller wired to is tractor, and ran it manually.)

Metavic's line-up has changed since mine was made. They used to sell the the M95 log loader with their 12RF trailer (shorter bed, lighter weight, 3000# load capacity) for ATV use or with their 13RF trailer for use behind a small tractor. These days, the M95 is sold with the 12RF for ATV use and the M105 (10.5' boom) is sold with the 13RF trailer.

I thought the electric brakes were an interesting idea, especially for use in hilly areas. A heavy trailer could push around a small tractor or compact pickup when pulling a load down hill. However, I've found the really indispensable option is the winch. Without it, I'd have to get the trailer right up to every single log I wanted to pick up. If I've already been out and bunched the logs trailside, that might not be so bad. However, having the option to pull in those logs that are just out of reach, or even skip the logging winch step for a few logs here and there has been a big timesaver.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

stavebuyer

I think there is a point somewhere along the line with the smallest units that its more efficient to use a small UTV or 3pt carry all on the back of the tractor and process the trees into rounds where they fall rather than handle them as logs. 

mike dee

Currently I'm trying to decide between an 8-ton farm dump trailer with a 6x10 box and removable sides vs a 700lbs 8-ton running gear at 1/4 the price. Easy to pit stakes on the running gear and I will be able to haul more log than trailer. Later I can put a flat bed deck and dumper on it.

My CUT is rated at only 3.5 ton towing capacity. I think the ATV unit looks nice but has really limited towing capacity due to relatively excessive trailer weight. Hills and lack of brakes on the running gear worries me a bit. Use my CUT loader grapple to unload.

Bozeman Saw 26"x124"

Stephen Alford

For what its worth i never had much luck with trailers in the woods . I have never had anything that small . Our terrain in the hardwood stand is simply to undulating . Add in the ground clearance issues and unit length it just was not efficient in a one man operation.   The fold out stabilizer legs were helpful when horizontal to keep it from rolling over as compared to the telescopic ones. At the landing and everywhere esle the log loader is an awesome tool.   Not sure how things are were you live but Theft sure is a bigger concern these days.

logon

logman81

Mike dee the trailer does have brakes by means of the hydraulic drive motors. Stephen our terrain varies but for the most part is flat in most cases with some hilly areas. Theft is not a problem personally because people know not to mess with the me and I never leave my equipment where it can be messed with. To me I think it's a worthwhile investment and is going to be a valuable asset to my wife and I business.

PoginyHill

I have found the on-board hydraulic power very useful. I use the loader as much without the tractor attached as I do as a trailer with the tractor attached.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Walnut Beast

Quote from: mike dee on January 23, 2023, 08:15:54 AM
Currently I'm trying to decide between an 8-ton farm dump trailer with a 6x10 box and removable sides vs a 700lbs 8-ton running gear at 1/4 the price. Easy to pit stakes on the running gear and I will be able to haul more log than trailer. Later I can put a flat bed deck and dumper on it.

My CUT is rated at only 3.5 ton towing capacity. I think the ATV unit looks nice but has really limited towing capacity due to relatively excessive trailer weight. Hills and lack of brakes on the running gear worries me a bit. Use my CUT loader grapple to unload.

Trailers work perfectly fine!

Stephen Alford

My soul Mr Walnut Beast does the sun never shine were you live ???   :D
   Hard to tell from a pic , what  did you thing of the hydraulic hoses running inside the boom Mr Logman 81 ? Do you think that is a weak spot were they enter and exit the boom ?  have a look at the hydraulic fittings , have seen some new style fittings out there that I have never seen before.  Look forward to hearing how you make out.  :)
logon

logman81

To be honest most of the manufacturers are running the hydraulic lines through the booms and frames. I don't feel it will make it weak as it's tubing and supporting its self with the other walls of the tubing. I know a decant amount about metal fab and welding. They are most likely using HST steel and with the proper engineering and wall thickness I see no problem. Plus it is also protecting the vital hoses from abrasion or breakage. 

Stephen Alford

You are probably already aware of this but in case there is a reader who doesn't , I would not use the grapple to do any tapping . The shaft between the rotor and the grapple has two holes through it to carry the oil .  When you tap with them it is pretty easy to elongate the shaft . If there is oil dripping from we're the hoses attach to the shaft chances are it's already bent . 
logon

bigblockyeti

When you're ready to get a tiny processor to go with the forwarder trailer, this would work particularly well if you have an ATV you're leasing and don't have to worry about the long term ramifications of pulling 2x-4x what it's rated to tow.
Kranman kör vindfäller Processor P25 och T1750 med Polaris 570 SP - YouTube

logman81

lol I already have a very capable lafont ss500 splitter and good saws really no need at this time for a processor. Kranman are pretty nice the north forest has a higher lift on the loader and a dealer right in NH for me to pick one up. I won't be using it with a atv even though I have one. My 31hp tractor will be well suited to pulling it with a heavy load on it maximizing efficiency. 

logman81

Has anyone ever put ballast in the tires of one of these trailers to help with stability or is it not worth the effort?

Thank You Sponsors!