iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

posting pictures

Started by Al_Smith, February 23, 2024, 12:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Since the rework of the system at first I could post pictures by drag and drop,copy and past etc .just like any other forum .However the last I tried it did not work .To insert it in the area provided  it said the pixel count was too high which at first it did not .What am I doing incorrectly ?

WV Sawmiller

Sounds like you're having the same problems I posted earlier today in the link below.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=124146.0
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Reduce your picture sizes before trying to upload. The Forestry Forum server is no longer going to be allowed to use its resources to resize photos huge photos. Its easy enough to resize a photo to share. Just figure out how to do it on your device. I can't begin to know how, an every different scenario.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

Thanks for the reply .I'm going to have to  figure out how to do it .Problem is if  it has mechanical items I handle it with ease .However I get all messed up attempting to understand the workings of protocall on computor programs .In other words I'm nearly a computer moron .

KEC

Al Smith, you're not alone. It seems like there is a prevailing presumption that everyone was born knowing  how to do stuff on the computer. I was blundering along trying to put photos on the FF gallery when I saw this thread.

Ianab

Al, it's not that much different to fault finding a mechanical problem. That too can be daunting if you don't understand the basics, or even the terminology being used.

For starters, what "computer" are you using? Smartphones / tablets etc are all just different styles of computer, before you get into the different software they are running. Like you are going to fault find a diesel Toyota different to a gas Chevy.  Both are going to work, but they aren't identical under the hood. 

Then I'll try and cover some of  the "techie" stuff. Hopefully I'm able to explain it. 

There are 2 factors in the size of an image. One is the number of "dots" (pixels). That's the individual points of light on the screen. My monitor here can display 1920 x 1024 individual dots, or nearly 2 million pixels. (other folks may have more, or less)  If a picture is bigger than that, the software "shrinks" it to fit on the screen. So an image from my phone is 4,000 x 3,000. That's 4x the area it need to be displayed. Great if you want to print it on a wall poster, total overkill for a web page. Your web browser scales the image down to fit, and ignores much of the detail, but you can't tell. 

Next thing is "Compression". That image from my cheap smartphone is 12 Million pixels, and in theory that would take about 36 million bytes (characters) to represent, as it came from the camera sensor. Much of that info is duplicated, or very similar for each dot. So there is a compression system that tries to maintain most of the detail, while shrinking the file size. But it has limitations, and the uncompressed file that's displayed will always lack some of the details. You can adjust the settings to compress as much as you want, but after a certain point the image turns to mud. There is just too little detail left. But the default on my phone takes that 36 million down to about 6 million, and still looks sharp as. 

Now the gallery used to be set so that a ~6 mb image that was 4,000 pixels across, got shrunk and compressed, so it was maybe 1,000 pix, and only 0.5 million bytes. But that's a task the server had to do, and it takes time / memory to do it, plus the bandwidth to upload the large file in the first place. So now it's up to the user to resize / compress, and send up a sensible sized image. 

BTW, the files sizes I'm talking from the phone are "basic". Lil's new phone can do 50 or even 100 million pixels in one mode, so you can see how things could get out of hand. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Rhodemont

I added a pic to my gallery last week to finally include an avatar in my profile.  It loaded fine but rotated 90 deg in posts.  Just reduced the size and reloaded and now I am standing up straight
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Jeff

First of all, that is not how you add an avatar. You do it via your profile. Edit your avatar photo before helps, It turns because of the information the camera added to the picture. 

Magicman

I posted this somewhere else but as information, I downloaded and use the app;  Image Size.

With it I resize my pictures before I upload them into my laptop.  Works for me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Resizing made easy for Android phones.  
Edit: Select 20% for uploading to FF.

https://youtu.be/AJ86Qb1zmuM?si=oMPFFZylspu_wV2N

Old Greenhorn

Is it me, or did the size limit for photos change? A couple of days ago I could have sworn it was 2Mb per photo, now it seems to be 1Mb. I have to play a little more now to get them in that range, but no big deal, just asking.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

They changed because people were taking advantage of uploading photos that take everybit of the space up and they may change again. The drag and drop does NOT resize. I may stop the use of it. When a big photo only needs to be 150k and someone adds 5 that are 2000K, it does not take that much to realize our server space will be devoured.

The gallery works as it always did, other than you go to it, get your pic, and put it in the post as there is no longer a hacked in add button. Use that.

Jeff

Quote from: Mooseherder on March 01, 2024, 09:09:07 AMResizing made easy for Android phones.  Select 40% for uploading to FF.

https://youtu.be/AJ86Qb1zmuM?si=oMPFFZylspu_wV2N
20% is big enough usually.

Old Greenhorn

OK Jeff, I get the message and have a better understanding now. Thanks.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

beenthere

I use the software "Paint" that comes loaded with my computer. Easy to resize, add text, or crop the image. Many more features as well: lines, arrows, circles, etc. of any color selected. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I dont think paint even is a thing any more.

beenthere

Most certainly is "a thing".  ffcool
Changed a lot for the better since it's "earlier" years.

Maybe not for the phone users.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Its still comes on windows?

Al_Smith

I opened a can of worms accidently .My question was for a short time I could drag and drop then that option changed .Now that's it's been explained I could use the gallery like I always did prior to the change .However since I haven't had any picture to share .In answer to a question it's on standard desk computer with Win 10 with a huge onboard hard drive plus a gigantic aux hard drive on a lighting fast service .For example I can put a snipe bid on E-bay in about 2 seconds .However it has been interesting conversation if nothing else . :thumbsup:

Jim_Rogers

I use 3D paint to resize photos. And I use regular paint to add "ID" numbers to photos of tools for sale in my gallery. They both work for me.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Larry

Data storage and transfer costs Jeff money. Big files are not necessary to post top notch, high quality pictures so huge picture sizes are like burning money for absolutely no reason. I would think any member would have enough consideration for the forum to learn how to post pictures correctly using a minimum of data. Doesn't take long to learn the bare bone basics.

Paint just had a new release a few months ago and yes it still comes with Windows. I don't use it much. Lots of good (and free) programs to process pictures. Normally I use GIMP. My process is to sharpen, correct white balance, crop, resize to 1080 X 1080 pixels (that size also works well on social media), than optimize somewhere around 250 kb. That's a huge step down from the 25 mb picture my Nikon spits out. Probably 95% of recent pictures in my gallery are less than 300 kb. Earlier pics were even smaller due to forum constraints.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

All I can say, is I'm trying to make it as easy as possible, but at this point, aint been nothing easy about any of it for anybody. But, I'll keep tweaking. 

KEC

I've been moving along at warp speed on learning to resize photos, but I'm stuck in reverse.

DHansen

This thread has opened my eyes about the photo posting and data consumption.  Learning by reading the posts here in this thread.  I will try to pay more attention to the size and number of photos I post in my threads.  Thanks for all the information. 

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on March 01, 2024, 08:16:19 PMBut, I'll keep tweaking
Not about pictures but I see that some tweaking has been done with the little orange "New" indicators.  The lettering was darker and turned white giving an indicator that it had been read.  Now it is always white.  ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!