iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine Tree's on my property

Started by NewYankeeSawmill, February 25, 2024, 09:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYankeeSawmill

Bought our land here in East TN about 8 years ago. Gentleman told me it was logged approximately 75-years ago. I think the tree's here would agree with that. I've got probably 40 or 50 of these pine tree's:

needles.jpg

I only see 2-needles per bundle, never 3.
The bark is old and the woodpeckers love them.

bark.jpg

And they're every bit of 60-80 feet tall (which I reckon confirms the previous logging)!

tops.jpg
(full size pics in user gallery)

These ones are destined to be on the mill in a few weeks!

I had a logger out here to look at them when we bought the property. He described them as "Southern $^&*@ Pines", and wasn't interested. Said the hardwoods wouldn't be ready for another 50 years.

They blow down all the time during storms, which presents some risks to life and property, and they bust up the understory pretty good when they come down. I've had my eye on taking them out aggressively in certain area's... And now I've got a sawmill!

What kind of lumber can I cut these into? I was planning to make them into structural lumber like 2x4's, 2x6's, 4x4's, etc. Next several projects around the homestead will be shed's and a garage... Can always use some 2x4's and I imagine they'll sell, too.

Trunks are 20+ inches and they're mostly straight... I can find 10' sections. There's no metal to worry about. I have had 1-by siding made out of some a few years back and built a couple sheds/barns with it - works fine as long as you keep something on the outside of it to protect from the rain.

Had one blow down last year already bucked into 10' logs, those are going to be my first cuts on the mill once I get it setup (shipped Saturday, should be here next week!)

Appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks.

- Kevin
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Southside

His description and those needles suggest Virginia Pine.  I don't have any here that old to know if the bark would be that way or not.  They grew quite tall and limb free if they are Virginia.  How bad were the knots in the lumber you had sawn in the past?  That's usually the issue with Virginia Pine is the whorls produce a tremendous amount of knots. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

2 needle minor southern $@!! pine would indeed be a Virginia pine. In the toolbox they fall under "mixed southern pine" in the beam calcs.

moodnacreek

It can sometimes be found this far north. We cut 1x12 x 18 from a load some years back. Lots of 2" live and sound knots. Made character grade flooring for my sons house, came out nice. Was winter cut, no stain and dried 3 years in side his barn.

NewYankeeSawmill

Quote from: Southside on February 25, 2024, 02:32:16 PMHow bad were the knots in the lumber you had sawn in the past?  That's usually the issue with Virginia Pine is the whorls produce a tremendous amount of knots.

Wanted to get some pics to share. I think it looks great! I'm wondering if it might be suitable for something higher-end, like flooring maybe?

- K

Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Thank You Sponsors!