Main Menu

Sponsors:

Seatbelts

Started by Ron Wenrich, June 05, 2005, 07:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Poll ends 6-19-05

I'm talking about cars and trucks, not necessarily your other equipment.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Furby

All the time!
Rule for riding with me: no belt, get out!

Fraxinus

Don't feel right without it.  Sorta like I forgot to zip my fly feeling.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Paul_H

It's law in BC to wear them with stiff fines if caught without wearing a seatbelt.I still never bothered for a long time until someone pointed out that if I was ever in an accident with my kids in the car(always belted),wouldn't it be better if I could unbuckle and help them safely out of the truck instead of having them see me fly out the windshield and bleed out.

It was a eye opener.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Sprucegum

I wear mine on the highway but never around town, someday I will be fined :-[

Defensive driving will save your life a lot less stressfully than slamming into a seatbelt.

Don R

funny thing, I never put them on when driving the f250. I always put them on when driving the car. Aint that something. Well Iv'e always been a little mixed up.

Furby

Sprucegum,
Things happen!
No matter how defensive you drive.

musher

All the time.  I like to have natural selection working in my favor.
Mike

Paul_H

You've got that right Furby.

When we were bringing Lucy home from the hospital when she was 3 days old,I was driving as defensively as possible but had an oncoming car sliding on the ice across into our lane. I slowed down but then had to floor it and drive off the road to avoid a head on collision.

He still managed to take the front drivers fender,both doors including the doorpost and half the box off of the crewcab.

The look on the guys face as he went past my window was priceless  :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

We always do. If I ever happen to forget, which is rare, I get reminded. As does anyone else in my vehicles. We drilled it in the kids to the point where they were the ones that were reminding us. Now, its like furby mentions.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

maple flats

When my wife was hit head on in a snow storm by a driver who crossed into her lane I saw the light. That was in 1991. She had her seatbelt on and that was the only thing that saved her, she was hurt real bad and the car looked like noone could have survived, but her and I both wear them ALL of the time since that. I used to do it about 40-50% before the accident 8) 8).
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

EZ

Same as what Furby said.
EZ

Kirk_Allen

Having responded to numerous Vehicl Accidents I can tell you, if you dont wear your seatbelt your nuts.  I have seen more "arond town" car accidents with MAJOR injuries than you can imagine. 

The other side that most may not be aware of is Insurance.  MOST insurance companies WILL NOT cover you if yoru in an accident and did not have your seatbelt on.  They may fix the car but your medical stuff may be left in your lap. 

Some have it written that way in the policy coverage, which few people read, or they use the "Law Violation" clause found in most policies, meaning if your injured because you did not comply with the law they are not obligated to pay. 

Dont be stupid!  Come home to your family.  Click-it! 

Ianab

I dont start the engine without mine on.
Doesn't matter how defensively you drive... how carefull is the other guy???

On Thursday I passed an accident on the road, someone had run off a relatively straight section of road and 45ft down a bank into a stream.

Found out on Sat what what happened.
My buddy that drives a logging truck was coming home just around dusk when a couple of stray black cattle decide to make a run across the main road. He collected the 2nd one with his loaded truck / trailer and threw it into the path of an oncoming 4wd. The lady in the 4wd quietly driving along minding her own business at 60mph, when a cow comes flying out of nowhere and takes her out. Defensive driving wouldn't have done her any good, seatbelt did. No serious injuries, apart from the cow.

No excuse for not wearing them.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dan_Shade

I always wear mine, but the seatbelt laws really annoy me.

buckle up out there  I lost three friends in highschool that maybe would be around today had they been buckled up, and a seatbelt probably saved my Dad  a few years ago in an accident.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

wiam

To start with, I always wear mine.  The other day we went to a bad accident that ended with a bronco 2 that had a roof at the level of the hood.  The guy was not wearing his belt and probably would be dead if he was.  He was badly bruised.  I know this is not the norm, but it makes you think. :-\

Almost 20 years I had a car pull in front of me (blind drive way) with a tone truck.  It totaled both rigs.  At the time when ever I went anywhere I almost always drove myself.  When the police got there he asked if I was wearing my seatbelt.  I was and told him so.  When the report was done he offered a ride to work about a mile away.  I got in the cruiser and he started it but did not move.  After a pause he said he could not move the car until I put my belt on. ::) ::)  It was second nature when I started a vehicle but not on that side.  BOY DID I FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT AFTER TELLING HIM I ALWAYS WEAR MY SEATBELT!! :(

Will

redpowerd

but do we really need laws telling you to keep yourself safe?

i wear mine, but its hard when your only on the road for a quarter mile or so. thats when they getcha.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

bitternut

I have the same policy as Furby

Frank_Pender

I am not against  the wearing of belts.  What I am agianst is the way it has been jammed down the throats of folks that have it as manditory in the various states.  I resent these sorts of issues being dictated.  I know, I know, safety and all when in an accident.  I have awaken on an operating table after the forced totaling of my '66 2 + 2 Mustang, that was only 6 months old.  I was t boned on the passangers side by a 48 years old bar maid without any insurance.   :'(  I was wearing my belt and all.  I still do not like the fact of being forced by statutes, aministrative decisions and board actions.
Frank Pender

Woodcarver

My wife and I always wear ours.  We had an accident similar to Paul's several years ago during a snow storm when a driver we were meeting lost control and slid into our lane of traffic. We both had fractured ribs. My wife had complete break and the rib punctured a lung. She spent a night in the hospital.  Bad enough, but our injuries would have been much worse if we hadn't both been wearing our seat belts.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Paschale

I always wear mine too, and feel naked when if I ever realize I've forgotten.  I think a lot of people wear them most of the time, but for that trip up to the corner market, they figure there's no need.  I read a statistic somewhere that the vast majority of accidents occur within a five mile radius of your home.  It's in those short trips that you're most statistically likely to get into a fender bender, so it's just as vital then to wear 'em.  As to the laws requiring us to do it, I don't worry about it, cuz I always wear 'em.   ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

fstedy

Don't make a move without it. Accidents always happen when you least expect it.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

iain

No click no drive here, been in enough and seen enough to go naked, boys are worse than me, they dont let you move less everybody is ready, regardless of who's car it is ;D

iain

Gilman

Still training Miss Kathy,
I'll stop the truck in the middle of the road to make my point with her.  Physics is physics can't argue with the laws of nature.  She's getting a lot better about the seat belt.

The funny thing is me backing up the trailer aroud the block to the shop.  I still feel unfonfortable about hopping in with ear plugs (not hearing a thing) but backing up one block without the seatbelt on.

I have a friend that is adament about not wearing a seatbelt, good luck finding one when you ride with him.   I find that I plan "meatings" with him to make sure I have to drive my own vehicle.  I'll go as far as hauling my trailer if need be.

The only wreck I was involed in was a rear-ender.  I sure wish I had a rear end type seat belt (the seat gave way and crumpled my back mid way) Wear your DanG seatbelts.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Fraxinus

Quote from: Kirk Allen on June 05, 2005, 09:56:18 PM
Having responded to numerous Vehicl Accidents I can tell you, if you dont wear your seatbelt your nuts.  I have seen more "arond town" car accidents with MAJOR injuries than you can imagine. 

The other side that most may not be aware of is Insurance.  MOST insurance companies WILL NOT cover you if yoru in an accident and did not have your seatbelt on.  They may fix the car but your medical stuff may be left in your lap. 

Some have it written that way in the policy coverage, which few people read, or they use the "Law Violation" clause found in most policies, meaning if your injured because you did not comply with the law they are not obligated to pay. 

Dont be stupid!  Come home to your family.  Click-it! 
Sometimes I buy gas at a convenience store that is about 0.3 miles from where I work.  I put my seat belt on even to go that little distance.  A few years ago, a woman was killed in an accident right in front of that store. :'( :'(
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!