Main Menu

Sponsors:

poll: old growth

Started by Ron Wenrich, August 28, 2005, 09:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

There are, maybe were, some pretty big cypress over there also. Measured some 3 meters on the butt that were just left there. Those are worth big bucks. One area logged in the 40's has red cedar left that they couldn't get out of the bush, they were about 8 to 10 feet high just laying in mud and moss. >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

We have a lot of old growth in some areas - probably about 20% of the land here. I know a few patchs and up behind us into Juan Castro Blanco Parque de Agua is about 70,000 acres, about 70% has never been touched.

No snags or anything, rainforest rot REALLY fast.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

rcaretti

I've been up to Cook's Forest in PA some years ago to see the virgin White Pine and hemlock stands.  Some of the trees had to be 150 feet tall.

Whenever I'm out driving, I'm always looking for old growth forest, or even the few loners left here and there for whatever reason.

fishhuntcutwood

Yes.  Olympic Nat'l Forest and Park.  Just 1.6 miles out my back door.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Ron Wenrich

I've been to Cook's and to Alan Seeger.  For a map of the ones in PA, try this:  http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/oldgrowth/index.aspx

Of course, we have the box huckleberry, which is estimated to be 1,300 years old.  1 plant covers 10 acres.  Here's some info: LINK
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Grawulf

Ayup! Will be headed for it again in another week for some canoeing and fishing!  8) 8) 8)   http://lucid.dreaming.org/dreams/temagami/images/leto00/index.html

Rockn H

We have the Helen Wilcoxin Demonstration Forest.  It is a virgin stand of southern pine and hardwood that was set aside in the early part of the century to save because it had never been cut.  It currently has one, possibly two record trees.  We also have the Saline River bottoms that has old growth timber, some of which has not been logged since the early settlers.  Many portions are virgin having never been touched.  Tall oaks with distinct lower canopies and open ground cover with scattered ferns and palmetos.

mur

Yea, the Queen Charlottes - Dinan Bay, early 80's.  Did some "hiking" in the forest with an 075 and a 42" bar.  Will be trying to grab some of the old photos here in a bit when I visit down South.  A friend lying in the undercut of a 14 foot Sitka etc.  Big wood.  Got some befores, durings and afters.  The things we do when we were young and foolish!
Don't dream it, be it.

SwampDonkey

Just discovered this article off the government's website.

Old Growth and Pine Drops
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frickman

I've also been to Cook. Ron, thanks for the link to the box huckleberry, I've never heard of it before.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Cedarman

Accidently hiked through Savage Gulf in Tenn. huge timber on hard to get to slopes.  Found out later no one hikes through there because you can't get through.  We had low water and came in from the end that wasn't marked.
Saw some 5 foot hemlocks.

Pioneer Mother Memorial south of Paoli, In has some huge trees.  5 foot walnuts if I remember right.   I believe it is a small patch of virgin woods.  Easy to visit beside highway 37.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

maple flats

I voted yes, Redwood forest in California. But then I remember many stumps amongst the giants, therefor it must not be old growth forest, just forest with a % of old growth remaining, kind of like timberstand improvement on a giant species.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

DeepWoods

There is what is called the Lost 40 (actually 114 acres) in Northern Minnesota that is very close to our cabin.  I have never been there, but have always wanted to make the trip over there.  There are White Pine that are over 300 years old.  I have 100+ year old Red pine on our 40 that I can't get my arms around.  I can only imagine what the DBH of a  300 year old would be.  The Minnesota DNR  has more info

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snas/sna01063/index.html

Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.