iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice things ?

Started by sprucebunny, November 19, 2005, 09:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

I don't know what this kind of formation is called. Rime came to mind but that is more ' ice deposited by wind' ..... I think...

It happens in the spring and fall . When the ground freezes it seems to squeeze the water out and these upsidedown icicles form ;D

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Paul_H

That is Buck ice.Did you know that Ohio is the Buck ice state?
Yes,it's very common there.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

Quick thinking, Paul.  I do not care what Carla said about you being a bit late on things, when you were down this way a few months ago. 8)
Frank Pender

chet

I hate ta be da one ta disagree with ya Paul but, it looks more like New Hampshire Buck Ice.   :P
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Paul_H

Since when have you hated disagreeing with me Chet?  :D

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Quartlow

I don't know what kind of ice that is but I'm going to hang out witht the bunny, she's got money just laying around!!  :D :D :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

sprucebunny

It don't grow on trees where you are ??? :D

Yup...fall's the time to rake it up :D

Fla._Deadheader

Buck ICE ???  Ohio the Buck ICE State ???  ::) ::) ::)

That looks like the first freeze and partial thaw, when I youster was a "yankee".  :-[ :-[ :-[ ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

isawlogs

Those are really cool pics Joan .
But gotta say I dont got a clue to what they are called ... Icycles for what its worth  ;D
Harrold .. you yousta be a Yankee ....  :o  :o :o  and are admitting ti it   ::) ::) ::) ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Dat's rite, Marcel, but, I converted just as quick as I could.  Them Arkansaw folks hepped us immensely, and adopted our family as true converts.  ;) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

chet

Bunny,
I have aways known them as Frost Columns. But I don't know if that is the proper name for them.  :-\

sprucebunny

Thanks, Chet.

They fascinate me . I think they ought to have a special name from a fairy tale or something.

They appear overnight and vanish quickly and have such a delicate and variable structure.  :)

Fla._Deadheader

Kinda related to Hoar Frost. Here's a write up, sorta.

Frost often appears as a light feathery deposit of ice, often of a curious and delicate pattern. The dates on which killing frosts (frost destructive to vegetation and staple agricultural products) occur vary considerably.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Paul_H

I was thinking Hoar frost too but from a google search tonight,it looks like we tend to use it as a blanket term here.
SB,
Do the columns sound like breaking glass/plastic when you step on it?

CHARLIE

Dat ain't Hoar Frost as I know it FDH.  Hoar Frost appears on bushes and trees, usually on a real cold foggy morning when the moisture freezes on the branches and twigs. It's real pretty and resembles a flocked tree.  Dem Tings Sprucebunny took a picture of are pure ice.  Note:  I'm trying ta write so Chet can unnnerstan.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sprucebunny

Yup....pretty crunchy :D

Next time I see them I'll be sure to get closer and poke them with a stick. Might sound different than just stepping on them :D

Hoar frost and rime ice form on THINGS....

Fla._Deadheader

Not necessarily, according to the info I googled up  ::) ::) ::)

It also stated that it is formed from moist gasses that rise from Things, grass, leaves, etc., and forms little delicate columns of "HOLLOW" stemmed structures, rising from the ground ???  ::) ::) ::)  I forgot all them "Yankee" things, long ago.  ::) ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ianab

We get that sort of frost a lot here.
It usually forms on moist dirt areas, and because it usually melts every day it doesn't get that long.
If it forms on bare clay it usually lifts a crust of loose dirt and moss on the ends of the crystals.
Then it melts during the day and turns the otherwise dry track into a slippery mess of mud and ice  ::)

I think FDH has got the right reference, it seems to form here from moisture escaping out of the soil.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sprucebunny

You left that part out the first time , Harold . Moisture rising would explain it. I'll have to beep in on it and see if it's hollow.

Ya, Ian, I've seen it lift up a layer of moss or dirt.

So what is the origins of the term " hoar frost" ? I still think it should have a more magical name ;D

crtreedude

I used to see this kind of ice in the spring when the ground was soaked and then it turned cold again.  I also used to see it in the fall when I was hunting. I think you all are right about the source. Their is a mist rising because the ground is warm, and then it freezes.

We don't see that down here...  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

I agree with Chets explanation with the emphasis on frost. ;D It's a big problem with certain types of plantation scarification where all the litter and fermation layer is scalped off the topsoil. I've seen the frost pop the trees out of the ground as if the seedling was just throwed on the ground. To prevent it there has to be a good bunch of organic mixed in the soil or a thin layer of duff. :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

I saw that phenomenon back in '64 or so in Athens Georgia.  That was back before the turn of the century and almosst forgot.  We had snow that year too. :)

chet

I did a little diggin'  :P  Check out the third picture down on the left Frost Column.

Thank You Sponsors!