Sponsors:

Poll: Internet shopping

Started by Ron Wenrich, December 04, 2005, 08:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

Buy as much as possible online.  I'll even go to the store to comparison shop, get the model and features I want, then go online and buy it.  I just bought a color printer for photos. The best price I could get it at any store wsa $199, plus tax.  Found it online for $155, with 2 extra print cartridegs, no tax, including shipping.  $ is too hard to make nowadays to throw it away. 

Now we need part II of the poll, selling online!  I have used ebay, Craigs list, online ads, and the latest is an online gun selling site.  I simply have too much stuff and want to clear out and stream line.  Yep, I always say that til the next auction!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

tmullen

I would have to say we try to shop online as much as possible due to drive distance from home. It's easyer to wait for the ups guy than to deal with the tourist trafic heading for tahoe on I-80. Plus the folks at Bailey's in Laytonville would get lonely if my wife and I were not constantly E-mailing them or on the phone with them. Is it a bad thing when you call up there and the guys ask how the house is coming along and how the family is doing. Gota go the ups mans here! ;D ;D
when in doubt
fire out

Tom

I do a lot of window shopping on the "Net" but buy mostly local stuff.  The reasoning is that I like to touch and feel the product, especially if I'm not familiar with it.   And, I like to do business face to face.  It's just something that I've become accustomed to from being in small towns most of my life, I guess.  I am beginning to have a change of heart though.  It seems that cashiers, clerks, tellers, servers, greeters and employees that used to offer assistance, are no longer interested in the "selling" part of selling.  I am leaning more toward the impersonal "Net" because there are few people to talk to anymore. 

Perhaps I'm in a minority, but I have always taken the time to spend with a customer, or potential customer.  I never have been able to understand the philosophy that customers are underfoot, in the way, and a hindrance to making money.  There needs to be some control of one's time but the customer is priority number one all of the time.   Selling is kinda like going fishing.  If you don't go to the water, you don't stand a chance.  If you do go to the water, you have to "lure" a fish.  Being there and doing everything right still doesn't guarantee a catch.  It's not the fish's responsibility to go home with you.

The fewer people that I find locally who are willing to make me feel at home in their store and who don't perform their tasks efficiently, like taking my money, helping me find something, trying to keep my ice cream from melting in the check-out line, offering enough open registers to handle the customer load, keep an acceptable-to-the-customer inventory, all cause me to go to my computer more frequently.

On-line isn't the answer,  I don't prefer it, but why should I ignore a little box that has a big inventory, guaranteed sales and delivery and as much, or more, customer service and care as I find down the street.

I've even found that I can replace a bunch of self-indulgent, neighbors with friends on the "net".  Hi Y'all!

fstedy

8) 8) 8) INTERNET greatest thing since sliced bread!!!   8) 8) 8)
Many great buys and the selection is unlimited. Its easy to comparison shop for price but watch out for lowballers especially on electronic items.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Max sawdust

I voted quite a bit, even though that is sort of realitive.  I am with Bro. Noble; try to avoid spending money as much as possible.
But sometimes you just need new workboots or chain saws so I buy them on the internet.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SwampDonkey

I buy used 'antique' computers on ebay sometimes and I comparison shop for videos off ebay. I will compare prices with Walmart, Amazon.ca, and Chapters. Amazon will ship free if you purchase over $39. I don't purchase goods to get over $39 in total, that's just gimmic advertising. But, the thing is not many hard cover books are less then $40 on the Canadian Amazon site. I purchase a few videos off ebay, they are no cheaper when shipping is factored in. It's just that I don't have to burn gas to go shop for one 30 miles away. Our local selection is very poor, the local  hock shop puts a price on a video as if it's brand new and wrapped, I quit going there. We are going to have a new Walmart open in another month where I can get good bargans, the locals have too big a mark up. One shoe shop has China made work boots, nothing under $200 and all steel toed, I quit going there to. I had to go over in  Maine to Roy's Army and Navy to get a decent pair of Redwing boots. All our Canadian brands are Chinese made now, Farwest, Prospector, Caterpillar........  I wish I could swear  >:( ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GHRoberts

I buy lumber over the internet. 200-400bdft from 1000 miles away.

I buy computer parts and software over the internet. Easier to get the right product.

highpockets

I told a friend of mine that I was going to have to start selling dope to cover my cost of Ebay.  Thing is we live in the country and it is so easy. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

pigman

Quote from: highpockets on December 08, 2005, 03:12:10 PM
I told a friend of mine that I was going to have to start selling dope to cover my cost of Ebay. Thing is we live in the country and it is so easy.
I sure hope you are saying that Ebay is the easy part , not the dope selling.::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Woodcarver

Ebay, Amazon.com, Bailey's, Woodcraft, northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company, Surplus Center, Dubuque Trading, JC Penny, Mason Shoes, Cabela's, Yesterday's Tractors, and several others I can't recall at the moment.  It' convenient and, as someone mentioned earlier, there's usually no sales tax.  :)

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

DanG

I buy local, pretty much for the same reasons that Tom listed.  Also, I have a vested interest in our local economy.  Even if I buy from Walmart, at least they are providing jobs for people who would otherwise not have one.  I get my groceries from the local IGA, and try to buy most of my hardware and building materials from the local hardware or a small, regional chain.  I only go to the "big box" or Walmart if their prices and availability are overwhelming.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

crtreedude

If the thing I need is in town - I buy it here. If it isn't here, I think long and hard about if I need it. However, I do tend to purchase things from the Internet because of availability.

If there is a local shop that has something and good service, I will often buy from them rather than go elsewhere - this way I don't have to travel to San Jose or ship it.

However, if I have the option of the Internet or a surly clerk - I will go the Internet everytime. Just call me old fashion, if you want my money, be nice.  >:( Where DanG is I suspect the clerks are nice - but back in October we were in the Northeast and needed to buy a lot - I hated it.

Maybe I am spoiled here in being surrounded by clerks who want to help me find a 10 cent part.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Daren

I have had years I spent $20k online. I live in the boonies sort of, no real hardware stores or supply houses within 30 miles. It was invaluable in heating service work and such. I couldn't stock $1,000,000 worth of obscure parts, but Grainger, McMaster Carr... could. I would do a temporary fix if I could and order the real part. It is always here the very next day. Sure Grainger was only 30 mins away, but that is an hour driving + 1/2 hour waiting on the counter guy for a $20 part and I was charging $50 only when tools were in my hands, not the steering wheel. And if you had more than one call a day (I usually had 6-8) you spend all day driving and none making money. I had guys working for me for $15-$20 hour, by the time they went after the part and a donut and whatever else. It was a heck of alot cheaper to pay $10 shipping. I bought complete boiler systems including shipping cheaper than I could get here (The salesman got cut out and so did his piece of the money) Plus it is handy for finding stuff I can't get locally, or if I want to shop at midnight in my p.j.s.. I was a victim of I.D. theft though. Some joker bought a $5000 ring in the Netherlands. When I called to say something was fishy the customer service guy said "Well I guess this other charge for $2500 in another jewelry store over there isn't your either" It was no problem, They sent me a new card and a form that I filled out and they erased the charge.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quartlow

I buy quite a bit online just because I hate to go out. The few exceptions are the 45 minute trip to Hartville Hardware. Right now I have to go out and get a sheet of plywood. I don't want to go but the two toyboxes sitting in the shop need bottoms  :D

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Minnesota_boy

I just finished working on my truck with parts ordered over the net.  If I had gone to the local auto part store (1/2 hour drive away), I wouldn't have know that I could get that part unless I bought a complete assembly for 5 times the price.  I'd have sat in the parking lot for an hour waiting for them to open after dropping my wife off to work, sat at the counter waiting for someone to help me, waited while he answered the phone 3 times, only to be told that they didn't have that part in stock and I could come back tomorrow and pick it up.  Instead I wandered around the net until I found someone with a store front presence, searched for what I thought I wanted, found that they had it in seperate parts that I could buy and get just the parts I wanted instead of an assembly, and bought it for cheap and they paid the freight.  Now how can I justify shopping locally?  ::)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Homer

I buy from McMaster - Carr, stainless hardware and pieces/parts for crazy projects. Have'nt yet got courage or knowledge to buy on line. Guess I'll have to learn! Homer.

Miss Moose

Well, speaking from a woman's prespective.  I do not shop at all on line.  My husband Sam shops more then I do... 8)

Part_Timer

I'll have to go with Tom on this one.  It seems that when you go into a store especially one of the big box stores they treat you like you're bothering them or have no idea what you need. 

My personal favorite is when the 16 year old kid wants to sell me the size wire he thinks I need to wire the house.  I know that code  here is 14 gauge and that it is cheaper but I  wire with 12 for the outlets and lights I know it's oversized for code  but hay it's my money.  It's always fun to see their face when I point out that I've been an electrician longer than they have been alive. ;D

Man I'm getting old

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.