iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cell phones and laptop internet

Started by Furby, December 25, 2005, 12:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

I know this has been talked about a bit, but not the info I need.
I need to get a cell phone ASAP, as in tomorrow! ;D
I would like to be able to access the internet on my laptop via the cell.
Most newer cells have data cables for them and some companies offer data services.
Now I know data services are required for net access ON the cell, but I can't seem to find out if I can access the net on the laptop using the cell same as I would a land line and not having "data service".
Anyone know anything about this?

IMERC

laptop to cell to the internet is worse than dial up
LT directly to the internet is a bit better.
Go fer both wireless and WI-FI.
WI-FI is great. this lap top is all of those. came built in.
adaptor cards are available to up grade older LT's to do what you want providing they aren't too old.
T -  Mobile and Verizion offer these packages.
Qwest and AT&T suck.
Earthlink has some deals too but limited area.
look into area coverage then service package.
With the right WI-FI / satillite (big bucks) you can see 2G+ transfer rates. A poor system you will get 1 or 2KB speeds on some good days maybe.

BTW. yesterday will be easier to get all of this done than tomorrow  - 2 strikes - Sunday and Christmas. Shall we try for Monday instead?

MI has good coverages listed for all of these avenues
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

IMERC

spot checked.

WI-FI is at a 840MB transfer rate and Wireless is at 11KB right now.

VA-Sawyer

Furby,
Why are you online now ???? Figured you would be off in Santa's sleigh helping him on his rounds. ;D ;D

Furby

Um, it's already Sunday here! ;)
I have WI-FI on the laptop, but it's hard finding coverage.
Data service for the cells are more then I'm willing to pay.
T-Mobile has very little coverage in the US based on their maps.

Quote from: VA-Sawyer on December 25, 2005, 01:38:22 AM
Furby,
Why are you online now ???? Figured you would off in Santa's sleigh helping him on his rounds. ;D ;D
Why in the world would you think that ???
Wait, maybe I don't want to know! ;)

IMERC

all of the wireless companies will set up a week trial period or least several days at no charge so you can test drive a system and the coverage.

knock on everybody's doors

Furby

I have TWO days to set this up, and it will be around the US, not local, thus the need for the cell access. ;)

IMERC

i use mine all over the US.
in the mountains any service is the pits and AR.

Jeff

Furby, leave a message for James .  He uses wireless on his laptop. Plenty of truckstops now have wireless internet ready for when you drive in and its fast. He tries to plan where he stops for the night as he knows where he can get on line. There is a small monthly service fee.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

IMERC

Most any hotel has free internet access.

Frickman

I checked into this recently, and talked about it some here. With one company, There is a port at the bottom of the cell phone. You spend forty or so dollars for a special cable and plug the computer into it. Internet access is forty to eighty dollars/month, depending on usage. That is the company I'm leaving.

The big V has a little antenna and card you plug right into the computer, you don't even go through a cell phone. They call it broadband or something like that, and it costs the same forty to eighty dollars/month, depending on usage. I'm switching my cell phone plan to them this week and will get on this broadband thing when I get a laptop.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

IMERC

Quote from: Frickman on December 25, 2005, 05:47:42 PM

The big V has a little antenna and card you plug right into the computer, you don't even go through a cell phone. They call it broadband or something like that, and it costs the same forty to eighty dollars/month, depending on usage. I'm switching my cell phone plan to them this week and will get on this broadband thing when I get a laptop.

that's wireless. it can be a lot worse than dial up. slow and lots of dropout once ya learn ropes to WI-FI. watchout!!!!!!!
I'm using WI-FI right now and I'm 70 miles from the house.

Furby

Hotels/motels will be out of the question 99% of the time.
Truck stops were what I planned on when I got the laptop and made sure it had Wi-Fi.
Some truck stops even have "hard" conections at the truck for phone, power, cable, and internet.
The good truck stops fill up fast and I really want something to fall back on when I can't get access any other way.
Some rest stops along the turnpikes also have access, but with a different service provider.
I sure don't want to have a half dozen different subscriptions for different areas.

IMERC

WI-FI is the way to the internet so you can hook up to your own provider via the web.
wireless still leaves a lot to be desired.
other than Starbucks most coffee shops have free WI-FI. I use it as 1st choice. Seems like you can find it everywhere. also stay equiped for dial up. the big providers have dial up and DSL hook ups everywhere and the software for compatibilty.

Furby

I don't drink coffee and won't start!!!
McD's has SBC/Yahoo, but that's another subscription. :-\

IMERC

You don't drink coffee and I won't set foot near a Mick D's. Tea a plan "B"? or some thing else that isn't coffee.
so don't drink coffee. pull up in the parking lot and hit "find available wireless net works" so after 9 choices show up - go fer it.

I have wireless and seldom if ever use it. it's expensive and really not all that great. tempermental at best.
up at forest hills I get 2GB+ speeds with WI-FI.
the worst state I found so far is AR for any of this.
google Sprint, Big V, Earthlink and a few others and see who they are in partnership with and I think you will find one carrier to cover most of your needs.
BTW the higher the population density the more the WI-FI links and hook ups. Heavy political cities and capitals have these tecnoligies out the wazoo.

Furby

I didn't do too bad in Arky land.
The fastest I've seen is the Hotel up at the lake, 10 min drive to get there from the lake, but faaaaaast!
Mostly I just pull into a motel parking lot and fire it up. After trying a few, you learn what chains require passwords, and what ones have open connections.
Only been busted once, and the officer didn't ask me to leave, but I passed him on my way out as he was coming back in my direction from the lobby. I figure they didn't want me there.
As more and more people do that to the hotels, more and more hotels will go to password protection to keep unwanted non guests from tapping in. Can't blame them, but then again I can! ;)

I still would rather choose a phone/service that gives me the option, now, rather then have to make changes down the road or wait for a contract to run out.

Rockn H

A friend of mine went with Sprint so he could get one of their phones that could connect to his laptop.  The service was ok except when he was at some of the customers getting loaded or unload.  The problem their was the coverage of the phone itself in those locations.  I agree with what was said earlier about using the Wi-Fi provided at most truckstops.  I have never, well that may not be right.  I can't remember very well ever having to leave a trukcstop because it was full. ;)  There are some that are very small that fill up fast, but there is normally a decent sized one next door. :)  If there is a hole open and the guys on each side haven't parked over the line, well never give up. ;D  And never be afraid to get out and check for clearance.  It's not nearly as embarassing as backing into someone. ;)

Riles

When I came to this town house hunting, I just drove through the neighborhoods until the wireless card in my laptop lit up. Most people don't secure their connection and the internet works just fine from the curb outside their house. Email is harder if you're not using a web based email client.

Just don't linger too long...
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!