Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: smoking

Started by Ron Wenrich, January 29, 2006, 08:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Chris, that's a sad tale.

Years ago (late 50's) the thing to do was to offer a smoke to anyone around before lighting up ones' own. Just bein polite, I guess. I'd answer, "no thanks, don't smoke".  Invariably the response was "You're smart". 
I never thought of it as being 'smart', but that I 'couldn't' hack it.  I knew because I had hay fever real bad and breathing was real important to me, as I'd been too many times fighting for air in my swollen-up lung passages. Cig smoke just tightened my chest like being in a clamp. I suspect the emphasyma people get later in years after smoking is very similar to what I experienced (and do today if I get into hay dust and/or around horses, dogs and cats).  Gasping for air is frightening, sorta.  :o
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

Well, guess just to show it can be done...40 year smoker but I'm close to being smoke free for two years.  Cold turkey and the first couple of months are the worst.

Figure I'm saving bout around $200 a month that I can now spend on my other addictions...new tools and fishing stuff. ;D

Wasn't planning on commenting on this thread as I have real strong views that would offend some people, but couldn't resist adding something that might help someone to quit.

Need encouragement, help, or support in quitting send me an IM or call me.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Phorester

Good for you Larry.  I don't smoke myself so I don't know firsthand the tremendous addiction that cigarettes obviously create. 

My father smoked most of his life from his early teen years.  In his early 60s he started having trouble breathing.  Went to the doctor who said if you don't quit smoking you will be carrying around an oxygen tank to breathe this time next year.  That scared him so much that he took out the half-pack of cigarettes in his pocket and threw them in the doctor's trash can.  He never smoked after that.

Quit cold turkey after smoking for over 50 years.  I was amazed at his willpower.  It was a rough couple years after that, he chewed candy constantly, gained 30 pounds, but felt much better as time went on.  Never had to go on oxygen either.

Max sawdust

Quote from: Larry on February 02, 2006, 07:45:50 PM
Well, guess just to show it can be done...40 year smoker but I'm close to being smoke free for two years.  Cold turkey and the first couple of months are the worst.
Figure I'm saving bout around $200 a month that I can now spend on my other addictions...new tools and fishing Need encouragement, help, or support in quitting send me an IM or call me.
Well I am only on Year25 with nicoteen been smoke free for 10+ years but addicted to chew.
My dad had quad bypass around 60 and he quite chew after that.  (He is know 80) (He smoked for 30 years before going to chew.)  I need to end my addiction to nicoteen >:(
Keep up the good work.  You are a better man than me ::)
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

crtreedude

My key to quiting and staying quiting (besides not wanting to die quick - like instantly from a wife who is alergic to smoke  :o ) is not thinking of myself as a smoker.

In the early years, I would remind myself - if I had a cig, I would immediately have to quit again, and go through it again. I had quit, and I wasn't going back to being a smoker - no matter if I accidentally had a cig again.

Remember how hard this is to quit - and then imagine what it is like to do it again, and again... Helps keep you from backsliding, it sure did for me.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

EZ

When I first started smoking I remember an older guy tell me,(If you dont start something, you dont have to quit.)
I didnt have to quit, I wanted to, but I wanted to before I had to. I think I said that right. ;D
EZ

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

maple flats

I voted the business should decide. I smoked until 1974 and hate the smell of smoke. I do however think a business should have to put up a BIG sign at the entrance that says if smoking is allowed. This sign should be big enough to read from your car, then the decision to enter or not is up to the public. Government should not be taking away any people's rights, less government is better government. I will vote with my patronage or lack thereof.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

wiam

I think the employees of a businell should have a say.  They do not really have a choice.

Will

extrapolate85

For the record, I don't smoke and dislike being anywhere around it. I lived in Europe for years and things are slowly changing there (notably in Italy and Spain), but by in large, the percentage of smokers is much higher in Europe than in North America and they smoke everywhere. However, on average, Europeans live longer than Americans or Canadians, and their health care costs are much lower. Perhaps we should encourage smoking amongst those representing frivolous malpractice lawsuits (I would be willing to send in my tax-deductible donation for a carton of Lucky Strike filterless to the ambulance-chasers association), discourage it amongst the general population, and we would all live longer. At least we could all afford healthcare easier. Whoops! Sorry, I am heading off on a tangent.

Seriously, A fair amount of companies like Boise Building (the old Boise Cascade company), Riley Creek Timber, no longer allow the use of tobacco products (including snoose) on company property - even outside! I suppose that since, they are paying the lion-share of the health care costs of their employees and it is their property; they have the right, but it must be tough if you are a smoker.

woodnut

Hey all, might as well start with something I did well 20 years ago when I was 25 and all the way back to 2nd grade. Should they ban smoking in public places? Probably. Government Is there For our protection-and for a few too many other folks, not to change the subject.

Qweaver

I quit smoking 30 years ago but I believe that smokers have a right to smoke wherever they want as long as they do not inflict their smoke on others.  Let the owners decide where and if smoking is allowed in their place.  How many non-smokers burn wood in a fireplace and "inflict" their smoke on others?  Live and let live.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Cedarman

If I was an employee that did not smoke in a business that allowed smoking, I would either put up with it or quit. In the restaurant business, I could probably find a smoker in a non smoking establishment and work out a trade.  Jobs are too plentiful to put up with one you don't like or be at at place you don't want to be. 

Can I get someone to spray the woods for ticks so I can be sure I don't get Lyme disease when I log trees?  I want everyone else to alter their lives so that my whims are catered to.

I don't care for smoking, so I avoid smoke as much as possible.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WH_Conley

Cedarman, wouldn't work, too simple.
Bill

SwampDonkey

First off, this isn't ment as an attack..that being said.. The smoker vs the non smoking wood fire user doen't fly with me because I've seen forest fire smoke haze the air alot thicker than any chimney smoke. In the last 8 years there have been 3 big fires up in Quebec that filled the air so full of smoke it was like standing next to the fire. Who are we gonna sue for forest fires?? The government? because they didn't spend enough tax dollars to patrol every mile of forest for arsons and lightning strikes?  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Max sawdust

Forest fires what about  irresponsible smokers that drop their butt in a tinderbox forest, or throw it out the car window.   ;)

I actually worry about that when it is real dry, any kind of fire is bad in a dry forest. 

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SwampDonkey

I worry about it from mid April to the end of October every year. It don't have to be bone dry for crown fires in balsam and spruce. There was one wing nut that was bailing straw on the farm and set the fields on fire and left the place. I went up to the upper farm and it was 100 feet from my woods, had to put the fire out before it got into the dry weeds, and then the softwoods.  ::) Father never burned fields in his life and I had told this nut about making fires earlier that day, when I seen some bales burning, that it wasn't allowed. You can't tell some people anything.  ::) Little hard to sue for damages from a guy living from cheque to cheque. Lets see $600/acre for scarifying, reforestation, new seedlings and tending, plus 7 years of growth lost, on 60 acres.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))