The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Poll: windfall profits  (Read 12778 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: Poll: windfall profits
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2006, 09:34:07 AM »
Reminds me of the pension fiasco with the defunct St Anne mill. The retirees are now trying to muster enough cash ($200,000 ??) to pay a lawyer to fight the government for reducing their pensions to redistribute funds among all workers 55 and older, not just the folks who were already in retirement. To me, it just looks like some lawyer is going to get rich off a few pensioners that haven't got a chance, like a snow ball in Haiti. Some folks who worked at the mill for 30 years were going to get nothing until the government restributed funds. Now if the funds aren't there, do they think I'm going to give them my tax dollars to give them a topped up pension? They are already getting Canada and Old Aged pensions besides. Their mill pension is already more than the average retiree is getting to live off.  ::) My uncle was laid off with about 20 other people 1 year before retirement, so they couldn't get pensions. They worked there for over 20 years, and some including my uncle help set the mill up. He traveled all over the country building mills and no one gave him no stinking pension. >:(
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2006, 11:29:51 AM »
Karl Marx thought that too.  As a matter of fact, his lean on things was that it all belonged to the Government anyway and you were just using it.  See, the Government can dole it out fairly and that way your neighbor won't have more than you will.   That's fair, isn't it?   I hear it a lot lately.   "The rich people have too much".  "Rich people are bad", "big business corrupts", "that fellow has too much money".  "They have more than they need".   Stuff like that.

Now, the Russians must've had it right. the USSR just kept the citizens in a manner that was equally fair for all.  Wonderful wasn't it?   Too bad it didn't work long enough to usurp the entire world.  That is what they wanted.  I don't think I would have liked it.  But then, I'm not too smart when it comes to Political Economics.  We still have a lot of people running the streets here in the USA that believe that "what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too".   They riot the streets now and again burn up their stores and take stuff from others that is "rightfully theirs anyway".

Some of them even made it to the top of the companies that they think were so bad.  You hear of them taking huge bonuses from dieing companies and moving retirement funds into areas that make them available to folks other than who they were initially destined. Sometimes they can move into a job and gut the profits so that they can run with their take while the company whimpers in the aftermath.  It's only right you know.   Those workers wouldn't be happy if they had all that money anyway.   Yep, charge what the market will bear.  Put the screws to your buddy before he figures out that he can get ahead by putting the screws to you.  It's only ethics.  What in the Hell has that got to do with anything. 

Social Economics.  I wonder why we don't understand more about it?   I remember a story told by Brother Dave Gardner about a fellow at a work site, leaning on his shovel saying, "one of these days, I'm going to own this constructioncompany".  There was another fellow down in the hole with a shovel and he was digging to beat the band.  Twenty years later, the fellow in the hole owned the company and the fellow leaning on his was still right there saying, "one of these days I'm going to own this construction company".   It's amazing how unfair companies can be.  They actually allowed the fellow in the hole to surpass the fellow on the shovel.  What would Karl have thought?   Well, Karl might have understood a little better than Nikita.  Nikita didn't have a clue.  He was too busy trying to make  life fair for everybody.

Brother Dave figured  "don't tax the rich.  ya ought to tax the little man....  give him something to strive for.....   let'em get on out there and do something.".  Yes sir, tax'em. Teddy K. understands that.  That's what makes him such a wise and fair fellow.   See, He'd spread all of his wealth to the needy and eat cornbread if he just didn't need all the money so that he could fight poverty and look out for the little man.  Course he would have to drive a Chevy and wear combat boots, so.....  well...    I guess that wasn't a good idea after all.  The poor fellow would starve to death.

Yes sir.  Taxes!   They are wonderful things.  They are about the only thing we have for redistributing the wealth.  Taking one fellow's hard earned dollars and giving them to some sorry sack of worthlessness on the street corner.  Is there such a thing as a fair tax?  Yes, I think so.  We don't like them, but we need to keep water running and roads paved and armies fed.  Somebody has to pay for it and a share of the country to one man should be a share to the other.    The problem with Taxes is when we start trying it identify the worth of the earnings of another man.  It's those "others" that always make too much.  I don't think I've ever had a day in my life when I thought I had too much money.
extinct

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2006, 11:59:21 AM »
Tom, well said.

Now, I haven't started working on my taxes yet, but you must have started working on yours this morning.  :)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2006, 12:09:59 PM »
How many of us hate forced taxes?  How many of us  had visions of sugarplums dancing in our heads as we voluntarily  donated to the government when we bought powerball tickets?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2006, 01:15:29 PM »
When I used to work at the marketing board, Revenue Canada used to send notices to us to collect on income taxes for a particular logger. I never thought it was our role or business to collect revenue taxes for government. That's between government and the guy who owes the income tax. It's not the same as collecting goods and services or provincial sales tax in my mind. The government used intimidation and said it was the law. What about our staff that has to deal with the irate logger because we had to withhold that tax? We never got a cent from government to administer that function.  >:(
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Poll: windfall profits

Started by Ron Wenrich on General Board

0 Replies
Last post February 26, 2006, 08:12:24 PM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
windfall

Started by Wade on Sawmills and Milling

1 Replies
Last post July 19, 2003, 03:34:35 PM
by AtLast