Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Garden

Started by Ron Wenrich, March 12, 2006, 07:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Poll Expires 3-38-06

Springtime is upon us (except for those down under).  The seed catalogs have arrived.  Visions of zucchini dance through our heads.  How does your garden grow?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Radar67

Usually just a few tomato plants, some carrots, squash, and cucumbers.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Corley5

I'm deciding on punkin varieties right now.  Gonna go with some Aladdins which are 30-50lbers and have a powdery mildew tolerance, another large variety and a mini to fill a demand.  I'll fill in with buternut and buttercup squash and some zucchini to keep the squash bugs off the pumpkins 8)  I got the fever ;D ;D ;D.  My garden is kinda big but since I'm not a big vegey eater I grow stuff that sells ;) ;D 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

I'm too DanG lazy to garden. :D I love the end result but will let the market gardeners do all the work. Can't wait for some fresh veggies and fruit right off the tree.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Sprucegum

I marked small - cause it is  :D

When my kids were small and my bank account even smaller, our whole back yard was in garden. We ate good. A lot of our "quality time" as a family was spent working in the garden. The boys couldn't wait to get old enough to run the tiller.

The kids are all bigger than me now and have gardens of their own that I like to raid  :-X
My garden now is mostly strawberries, raspberries, ruhbarb, and a few other fun things for the grandkids to work on.

DanG

I cluck(past tense of click) on "average sized".  My garden plot measures about 40'x60'.  Right now, it's all grown up with the remains of the fall garden, with all the greens bolted into beautiful yeller flowers.  I missed "tater day" by almost a month now, so I probably won't bother with that.  I do intend to get some stuff in there soon, but we all know where that road paved with good intentions leads.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbowl

I said large but it is only about 1/4 acre. Thats pretty big when the weeds get ahead and you got a lot of hoeing to do!
   Dang, it ain't too late to plant taters! They may not be here when the pole beans are ready but they'll eat just as good.  ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

Yeah, I've planted them this late with good results, before.  Gittin' tater eyes can be a problem, though.  Gittin' the time to put'em in can be an even bigger problem.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dale Hatfield

I plant a 4 x 16 raised be garden.  broke up in  4x4 sections
Thats more then plenty for the 2 of us. I give lots away havent got into canning or freezing anything yet.
This system works well for me i plant early and eat early. The beds warm faster than the ground. Plus if a frost is comming all i have to do is roll out some plastic and were safe
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

thecfarm

We have 3 gardens.We sell most of our crops.We have both low and high bush bluebreeies.Working on a raspberry batch now.We have the old fashioned ruhburb,which only a very few people buy and strawberry ruhburb that everyone wants.We have a asparagus that I think we could have an acre and still not have enough and we have a grape wine that is not doing good at all.We have a root cellar to keep out veggies in.Buttercup did not keep well at all this year. I don't each veggie either,Corley5,Too Green For Me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thedeeredude

Our garden is real small this year.  Probably a little corn, some watermelons I want, and tomatoes.  My grandfather used to have a gigantic garden.  A couple rows of sweet corn, tomatoes, asparagus, potatoes, peppers, rhubarb, and thats as far as I can remember.  And then he had fruit trees too.  The nectarines off there were amazing.  I'm getting kind of hungry now.

Sawyerfortyish

Im not sure what would be considered gigantic. But I think I qualify at least 2 acres of potatoes probably 3 acres sweetcorn and another 3 acres of mixed vegies. Would that be considered just big or gigantic :-\ or maybe medium or small by some Hmmm I need some definitions.

crtreedude

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Our gardens measure more than 1.7 acres (a manzana down here) - and then there is all the fruit trees, etc.

I said large - after all, my family used to have 300 acres of vegetable gardens...  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

bull

1/2 acre of pumpkins
1/2 acre of winter squash
1/2 acre of sweet corn
20 hills of summer squash
20 hills of zucchini
2 -  100' double rows of carrots
25 red pepper
25 green pepper
50 mixed tomatoes
4 - 100" double rows of peas
2- 100'  rows of green beans
2- 100' rows of wax beans
25 egg plants
2 - 100' rows of beets
1 - 100" row of spinach
1- 100" row of swis chard
20 hills of mellons
1 100" row mixed greens
and much more...... :o

THIS ONE WAS FOUND!

jerry-m

About one acre plus ...

Dang, Go ahead and just through those Taters on the ground and cover them in pine straw and or (never tried it but they might do just as well under some old sawdust)... Not much work and if they make Great, if not, not much lost :D :D :D

Jerry
Jerry

DoubleD

I marked average size because I don't remember the really size  ??? ??? ??? ::). My parents and I plant potatoes ( about half garden), tomatoes, zucchini, pumpkins, beans, pea, green beans, almost every kind of salad, onion, garlic, carrot, cabbage, beet, leek, straberry, raspberry, currant, parsley, sage rosemary.
I like gardening (if that is a word) in a organic manner 8) 8) 8) without herbicide and chemical fertilizer. We fertilize only with solid manure.
It is really cool go in your garden and pick up fresh veggies to eat ;D ;D 8) 8) :D :D
Wannabe a sawmiller

Luckyfarmer

DanG

place your taters in 12 inch squares and cover with straw.  I use wheat straw here.  works wonderful

Snag

I always put in the biggest I can at the time.  I can/preserve as much as possible and the rest goes to pig and chicken feed.

CHARLIE

Ron!  Spring is upon us??? :o  I ran to look out the window and the 2 foot deep, hard windpacked snowdrifts are still there.  I'm pretty sure the ground underneath it is still frozen harder than concrete.  I'm not a gardner. I have a black thumb.  There is some kind of field that surrounds me that kills plants if I'm around them very much.  I prepare the ground and put up the fence for Donna but she's the gardner.  She plants after Mother's Day because there is less chance for a killing frost to occur.  So I have some time before I have to even think about getting the rototiller cranked up. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

crtreedude

Nope, no spring here - Just endless late spring...

Tom

Fred,
How does your apples, pears, peaches, blackberries, blueberries and persimmons know when to bloom?

crtreedude

Very good question Tom!

Apples, pears, peaches, blueberries, persimmons - we don't really have any. You can make them grow here by causing the leaves to fall off about once a year - various methods of doing that - usually chemical.

blackberries just keep producing - they really don't ever stop. Citrus is twice a year, so is Manzanas de Agua and many others. We are nearly awash in fruits year round here - something is always in season.

Strawberries are year round as well.

We have a variation of about 30 minutes in the length of the day year round, and we have a dry period of about 3 months - both may cause the cyclic nature of the fruit.

Because the start and the end of the dry season varies a lot over the country, most fruits are available most of the time. I think there is two months you can't get a good mango - but that is about it. We are coming into mango season now - we tend to have so many that we feed them to the pigs.

But I love mangos, but there is a limit to how many I can eat.

Fred

UNCLEBUCK

I am applying the Corley techniques this year ! Burn dem DanG weeds out !  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Tom

burn'em 'buck. :D  Show us some pictures. 8)

Fred,
I was lucky enough to experience Florida with  fruit like that.  It went away when the influx of outsiders took over in the 50's and decided that they didn't want to deal with the "mess" of fruit trees.  Florida's calling card was destroyed in less than one generation.

Here is the reminiscences thread describing some of my and Charlie's life

I sure do miss life like it was then.  It's gone now though, and probably for good.

crtreedude

I hear you Tom, I never experienced it until we moved here. Often, while walking the fields I will be passing by some kind of fruit tree - nothing is more nature than just reaching up and grabbing some. It is great for everyone who works for us too.

One of the things we are doing is planting lots of fruit trees on the farms - for the animals, and for us. I have a lot of pruning to do right now on the Monte Cristo property to produce even more fruit. This is fine, creates more jobs - and more food.