The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Poll: organic  (Read 10585 times)

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
  • A proper coffee break...
    • Share Post
    • Finca Leola Reforestation
Re: Poll: organic
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 07:35:33 PM »
There is a certain ebb and flow to things. Many years ago, chemicals were considered a God send. Loosing your entire crop to a bunch of potatoe bugs isn't a pleasant thing. Chemicals allowed people to have a more reliable crop.

Then of course, people decided if a little is good - lets start spraying before we have a problem. Pretty soon, people don't want a head of lettuce unless it is perfect.

Now, things are shifting back a bit. After you have been around for a while, it is hard to get worked up about it. I will always try to use the least amount of chemicals possible - but at times, it is either spray, or lose the crop. If I have plenty of other things - fine. But, if not, them bugs are toast.

But I don't mind a few holes in the leaves of my lettuce.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Offline Quartlow

• Senior Member x2
  • Amuture Sawer, master wood destroyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 10:19:30 PM »
SD You and I have had this talk before friend  ;D Them must potato bugs must like you canucks  :D :D

Seriusly though I guess my brother and I have both been lucky, neither one of us have ever had a problem with them.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 04:22:26 PM »
man oh man, have I spent some time picking potato bugs.  they will destroy a potato crop.

i'd like to be 100% organic, but i really don't think we could feed the entire country on organic produce.  i do agree the pesticides and such are used too much....  it's bad stuff.  i'm working towards being completely vegitable independent....

next question is do the organic farmers have to use organic manure? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline wiam

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2006, 10:53:57 PM »
Dan, that is one of my biggest pet peaves about organic.  NO MANURE IS ORGANIC UNTIL 60 DAYS.  AT 61 DAYS,  ALL MANURE IS ORGANIC. ::) ::) ::)

Will

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2006, 06:23:35 AM »
SD You and I have had this talk before friend  ;D Them must potato bugs must like you canucks  :D :D

Seriusly though I guess my brother and I have both been lucky, neither one of us have ever had a problem with them.

You probably growing gene spliced hybrid potatoes with insectide against the bugs. :D :D  They do have them you know and you are not allowed to grow your own seed because of patents on them. ;D
“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

Offline Quartlow

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2006, 03:42:44 PM »
You probably growing gene spliced hybrid potatoes with insectide against the bugs. :D :D  They do have them you know and you are not allowed to grow your own seed because of patents on them. ;D

Your the one with the spliced jeans SD  :D  :D  :D

Actually all of our seed that we buy which isn't much comes from here
http://www.ronnigers.com/
We get the odd stuff from them, our reds and white potato seeds our all our own and have been in the family over 25 years. My brother raise all our seed potatos for those.

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2006, 04:41:26 PM »

Your the one with the spliced jeans SD :D :D :D

No, but they might have a few rips and tears from all the brush and brambles. ;)

Quartlow, doesn't the seed have to be approved by Dept of Agriculture as far as using your own seed? I'm sure that's the case in the US as well, since our seed is sent to Florida for testing. We have several areas that are quaranteened seed producing areas. Can't even bring spuds from Newfoundland to NB. I remember being over there once and before boarding the ferry back to the mainland they went through our stuff looking for spuds in transit.  We have foundation, elite and certified that have to be tested and approved. Certified is the lowest on the scale and usually very labour intensive to get approval on it by roguing the disease out of the field. Of course the other grades of seed are rogued to. We've had boughten certified seed that was simply a mess of disease. Someone got approval by a Fed with his feet up on the dashboard of the pickup.  ::) You have to take tops and tubers and all from the field in sacs and dispose of them. I believe (not 100 % sure) that the foundation tubers comes from plants grown from the actual flower seed (controlled pollination) and not the tubers. You can't even leave piles of waste potatoes around without burrying them. 25 years seems like a long time to me. ;) Father sold seed for 40 years, but he had to keep buying improved stock every 2 or 3 years.
“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2006, 08:12:12 PM »
Maybe for me it is not about the chemical definition of organic, it is about something being raised locally by small farmers and not triple wrapped in plastic and shipped around the world from some big factory farm.

This is how I feel too.  I don't care if it's labeled "organic" particulary, but I buy from local farmers or grow my own.   I use raw whole milk, and buy yogurt, butter, eggs and vegetables from local Amish farmers.  We supply our own beef.  If I buy from the grocery store, I prefer to buy organic products because the waxed appearance and feel of the "regular" produce upsets me.   :D  I wouldn't eat the peel on those super shiny apples or cucumbers for nothing!  I've picked apples, cucumbers and green peppers, and that ain't how they look! 
My major pet peeve is "salad greens" in those plastic bags.  Is it just me?  Has anyone else noticed that there is a stink when ya open the bag?  The real deal is just a few steps away and if ya pick up a hunk of fresh romaine, it doesn't smell like that!   ::)
I really enjoy good quality, locally grown foods.......but oh those hot dogs!!   8)
Say when

Offline Max sawdust

• If it's got to do with making sawdust; count me in!
    • Share Post
    • truetimbers.com
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2006, 09:08:50 PM »
Roxie,
 8) 8) 8)
Yup 100% with ya.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Offline Quartlow

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2006, 11:47:46 PM »
SD
Honestly I have no idea, all I know is brother plants stuff late in the year for harvest as seed potato's been doing it that way for years. I don't have the room to do it so I just get mine from him.

Your right about one thing though a certification is only as good as the bribe that was paid off  :D
One thing I can tell you is the OCIA inspectors that show up at my Brothers and his neighbors don't mess around. you better have every thing documented and there better not be any thing on the farm thats not allowed. Scary part is since the Dept of ag and the USDA  got involved they are easier to deal with than the OCIA. They go by a much more relaxed set of rules
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Offline Don_Papenburg

• Senior Member x2
  • I need money
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006, 12:01:38 AM »
Roxy I heard on the radio that there had been a lot of people getting sick from baged salads. a lot of them had e-coli  or something like that.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 05:54:40 AM »
Lettuce shouldn't stink..........here's your sign.   :D

Say when

Offline bull

• im getting board on a daily basis  ho hum
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 07:56:19 AM »
Organic is defined as : Matter that was once living and is now dead !!  yummie !!! ;)

BMP / IPM  only way to fly, I use very little in the way of Chemicals, but some are necessary and the organic crowd has made some of there own.  Some of the organic remidies are more toxic to humans and animals than what the chemical company's make, becareful and use common sence ! And above all: Please don't P/O Mother Nature.!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Poll: organic

Started by Ron Wenrich on General Board

0 Replies
Last post June 19, 2006, 05:52:43 AM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
Organic

Started by goose63 on General Board

27 Replies
Last post July 08, 2019, 02:14:32 PM
by Bandmill Bandit