Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Dogs

Started by Ron Wenrich, May 21, 2006, 07:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Expires 6-5-06

The more people I meet, the more I like my dog. - Unknown
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

crtreedude

Current dog - Balin, the wonder dog. He currently is having a sabatical at a house of ill repute I am told. (he is being used as a stud)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

pigman

I don't know what option to select. smiley_headscratch  My dog stopped in for a visit four years ago. He stayed here for three years, even got hurt and the wife spent $600 on vet bills.  In the last year he only stays here one or two days a week. :(  I think he has found another home and only comes back to visit a spell.  I need an option for a part time dog. ::)
No, he is not doing what crtreedude's dog is doing, he has been "fixed".
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dan_Shade

dogs are great.

Every boy should have two things, a dog and a mother willing to let him have one - Anonymous
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

We had a cat like that Bob!

DanG

I had to check "4 or more" since I have 8 dogs.  Goofy, Pluto, Gracie, Frank, Beavis, Happy Girl, Clover, and Silk.  They keep the coons out of my chicken house and garden, etc. :)

Goofy has a really big bark, so he is the first line of defense.  He doesn't have many teeth left, though, so the visual part of the barrier falls to Pluto.  He's part bulldog, and was bitten in the neck by a rattlesnake a few years ago.  His head swelled up so big, the skin never quite returned to its former size.  It gives him a really grumpy look, and most folks don't want to turn their back on him.  Frank, an American Bulldog, will be found wherever Linda is.  Failing that, he will be found wherever he last saw her.  Happy Girl is one of those bouncey type dogs that is always glad to see you.  She reminds me of Snoopy doing his little suppertime dance.  I brought Gracie home on horseback, after finding her in a ditch as a crippled pup.  A few weeks of vitamins and good food had her up to speed.  She looks more like a fox than a dog.  She mostly just lays about, but is Johnny on the spot if anything is going on.  Beavis was dropped off on our little road a couple of years ago, along with her brother, Knothead, who has since disappeared.  She is some sort of a hound or birddog, and helps keep the deer out of the garden.  Silk is the family coward.  She is coal black and built something like a greyhound.  She's the most nervous animal I've ever seen.  She will come up to me at feeding time, but if I extend a hand she will yelp and run away. ??? ::)  She is always the first to bark if anybody comes around.  Clover is my favorite.  She is part Great Pyrinees and part Golden Lab.  She is the one that will take a cheek off your butt while you're keeping an eye on Pluto. ;D  You wouldn't even know she was there till it was too late.  At least one ForestryForum member could attest to that. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

gary

I have a 16 yr old beagle mix.  I just built her a ramp to get up and down the porch steps. She has arthrights in her back legs .  We give her a baby asprin a couple times a day. She has been a real good dog for us.

breederman

we have a three legged beagle with a broken tail and a few teeth,her name is Rose but should have been Lucky. She thinks she owns the place and will give us heck if we leave her alone too long.
Together we got this !

submarinesailor

Gota yellow lab - the only dumb blond girlfriend my wife will let me have. ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D

Bruce

moosehunter

Odie and Spaz
Odie, the good and smart dog is on the left. Pure English Springer Spanial.
Spaz, is.... well ... Spaz. He named himself.
This is them in their summer haircuts

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

asy

I love dogs, but don't have one at the moment...  :-\

Best dog I ever had was Jerry, the black greyhound/whippet cross thingy, he was smart and adoreable.

After he tangoed with a car and lost, we got Lucy. She's the dumbest dog ever made, bar none. A Cavalier king charles spaniel. My Dad took a shine to her and dognapped her. So she became his dog. They were a mutual admiration society unto themselves, she's pining pretty bad now he's gone.

At the moment, no dog. The kids are only home every second weekend (yay!) and away half of each holiday (again YAY!) and whilst I'd LOVE a dog, I can't really afford one at the moment. Notwithstanding all this, we also don't have secure gates (none on one side) and live on a fairly main road.

IF I could have a dog, any dog, I'd have a blue, black or brindle Greyhound. Maybe adopt an adult ex-racing dog or such. I just adore them.

Or maybe a labrador or golden retreiver, but I'm not sure I have the energy at the moment to go through the puppy stage!!!  I'm fairly sure my 10 and 12 year old kids would love it too... 

Thankfully their Dad's got a dog (Well, his partner has, and they live together) so they see her every second weekend and get their dose of doggie play...  I'm reliably told that the dog sleeps for a couple of days after they go!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

crtreedude

I didn't mention, but Balin is either a beagle or a basset hound. I love hounds.

I swear - so far he is proving himself to perhaps be the first ever hyperactive hound.  :D

Tom

Asy,

I know it's fun to have a dog because if its looks, but if you are really interested in a larger piece of property out in the boonies (farm), you can't beat a hound.  One of medium size will be loyal, generally stay around the house, understand livestock and run off wild beasts.  They will protect you till death and fight till the end.  They lack the pretty looks of the mainicured new breeds but I find them good looking on the other end of the spectrum.  Some are so ugly they are pretty.  Most will love you to death. :)

It's all those dogs of "High Breeding" that suffer so much from any little illness and either have nervous conditions or cause you nervous breakdowns.

crtreedude

Balin, so ugly he is distinguished looking...

Does that apply to me too? Just hoping...

Den Socling

Rosebud is the nicest hound you ever met but for two faults. She always listens to her nose. She belongs to the group "Dogs Without Borders". And we are always needing to clean under her floppy ears.

Don't let her off that leash.

Ed_K

None. Had a red & white husky. will never have another one. Its to Dang hard when you have to put them down.
Ed K

Mooseherder

We have 2 Dogs and a Cat that thinks he is a dog.

Bruno is my 15 year old Loyal as heck Sheperd Mix.
Lindi is my wife's Pomeranian

Keepa is the Cat that will let you pet him once....then watchout!

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pigman

My dog came home today, so I selected one.  I still have a problem, my dog just doesn't look like any of the dogs of the other members . smiley_headscratch  I guess he is just a special dog. 8)

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

C_Miller

Had a dog. Got her fixed when she wasn't even broke.
CJM

asy

Tom,

I'd NEVER choose a dog on it's looks as such. I like Greyhounds coz they are friendly lovely dogs who tend to lie about and snooze all day (suits my personality :D) Also the colour is just the colours I like, I'd take whichever one was friendliest at the time.

Some of the nicest dogs I've known have been butt ugly, so ugly they were gorgeous.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

crtreedude

I love hounds, but I understand the dogs without borders comment. Your average hound puts it nose to the ground, and then, can never be found!

We had a hound named Candy that when ever she would get out would visit the local police station - who would feed her dog biscuits - and fine me 15 bucks! I figured she probably ate that much in dog biscuits, being a chow hound too.

Dan_Shade

my dog's a chow hound as well.  maybe we could start chow hound competitions to see who's is fastest!

Tom

Because of the dog tracks and racing greyhoud breeding going on in Florida, Greyhounds are a dime a dozen.  If they can't win, they are disposed of .  Several organizations have been started, trying to find adoption homes for those dogs that can't race.   You hear from them once in a while.  They will get a lot of press and then they disappear.

ohsoloco

Tom, I agree about the "high-breeding", which is why I prefer mutts so much.  I was so happy to finally have a dog that doesn't need to be tied to whenever she's outside.  First dog we ever had when I was little was a beagle/terrier mix.  The first chance she got to slip out the door, she'd be gone for at least a day....we'd find her the next morning in the bushes out front, hardly able to lift her head she was so tired  :D  And STINK  ::)

Maya sticks around pretty good, but she knows where the neighbor's sheep are, so I gotta keep an eye on her.  Any sign of a critter and she is GONE, but always returns shortly.  I was thinking I could post a picture of her that I have in my gallery, but...  ::)  :D