Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Hot

Started by Ron Wenrich, June 19, 2006, 05:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Expires:7/3/06

At what temperature do you finally sit back and say its just too DanG hot. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

asy

Ron,

I was going to say 40C, even found an Online Temperature Converter but to no avail.

It tells me the conversion is 104F, but 95F is only 35C, which is normal summer here.

But there IS a "Too dang hot", it's 40C.

I'll vote for 95+.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

DanG

95+ for me, too.  91-95 is pretty much normal here, so ya kinda gotta function in it.  The older I get, the less well I do in the heat.  Ask me again next year and the answer might be different. :-\ :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pigman

I try not to work if it is over 80 and if it is under 75 it is too cold to work. :(
Wife says I'm just lazy. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Quartlow

All depends, last week or so its been in the high 80's but it wasn't too humid so you could work outside
yesterday wasn't any hotter but it was humid as al get out, I stayed inside, well except for getting out the window ac units and putting them in.

I tend to get used to it. first summer home after GA folks here where complaing about the heat and my nephew and I where like what do you mean this is nice  :D

It gets below 25 and I want to stay inside too  :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

IL Bull

Quote from: DanG on June 19, 2006, 07:20:40 AM
  The older I get, the less well I do in the heat.  Ask me again next year and the answer might be different. :-\ :D

I resemble that remark. :D
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

JimBuis

95+ is too hot for me if I have a choice in the matter.  That's when it's time to prop your feet up in the shade and sip some ice-cold homemade lemonade.

IMHO,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

OneWithWood

The temperature is only one component  of the thing.  It can be too hot anywhere over 85 if the humigdity is above 80%.  smiley_sweat_drop
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Burlkraft

Quote from: DanG on June 19, 2006, 07:20:40 AM
95+ for me, too.  91-95 is pretty much normal here, so ya kinda gotta function in it.  The older I get, the less well I do in the heat.  Ask me again next year and the answer might be different. :-\ :D

91-95 + is normal ??? ??? ??? ???  DanG you gotta move  ::) ::) ::) The heat must be like the cold....

I usta like that below zero crap...It was invigorating.....Now I stay real close ta the fire :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pappy

Anything over 75 for this northern Maine boy... our blood never really thins out cause the summers are so short... I prefer a sunny balmy 25 degrees and my sled (snowmobile to y'all sun-nun-ners)  :D  Now that's comfortable   ;D
So the only  prescription is more shade and your favorite beverage... ;)

Quote from: OneWithWood on June 19, 2006, 08:43:20 AM
The temperature is only one component of the thing. It can be too hot anywhere over 85 if the humigdity is above 80%. smiley_sweat_drop

OWW dats fer sure   :o   Only 85 here today (92 yesterday) but it's the Dang hu mids a tea...
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Furby

Yup, I can't vote as it's all about the humidity not the temp!

Tom

While I can still go in 95°,  my exposed skin begins to burn.  I don't mean suntan type burn, I mean burn like you're standing too close to the fire.   At 95°, it starts to become difficult to keep your body hydrated.  This is important to recognize for co-workers as well as yourself.

As a sawyer, I am not expending the physical energy that the off-bearers are.  It is just about as difficult on the body because I'm having to work constantly to provide intermittant work for others. But, the others are having to strain, and that is very taxing. 

It's up to the person who is driving the pace to look out for his co-workers.  Just because you aren't being affected doesn't mean that they aren't about to drop out.  Some workers won't complain and will find themselves on the ground.  It's a macho thing, peer pressure, ignorance, or whatever, but real.

When you see your off-bearers starting to huff and puff, getting red in the face, making comments about the heat, then reach up there and turn the danged motor off.  Production has never been more important than life.

A water cooler next to the work area is important too.  When it is 95°, a worker should be constantly intaking water. Electrolytes are important too, so sports drinks may be handy.  But Water is the life's blood.   Don't put your water container so far from the work area that a worker must leave to use it.  Keep those things like water and snacks within an arms reach all of the time and you will find that they won't be abused.

Hats are important too.  A full brimmed hat will keep the sun off of your face, ears and neck.  It may not be as good looking as baseball cap to the fashion conscience, but, it is much more functional.  You can be a leader by ignoring the jests and wearing cooling clothes yourself.  Other's egos will break down when they recognize that the image requirement has changed.

As the sawyer, take responsibility for the entire operation.  You may get kidded about being a wimp, but, suck it up laugh and stand your ground.  Force breaks when those around you are suffering.  You may all live longer.

Murf

I'm with OWW's theory, it's the humidex that matters, not da thermomentator thingey.....  :D

I also like Tom's logic, if my back still worked, and I wasn't 1,000 miles away I'd gladly be at the other end of the mill from him any day, a good person is a easy to work for.  ;)

We had some nasty hot, humid weather up here the last week or so, Saturday was so bad, when I lifted off in the plane at 7 a.m. it was 74° and real sticky, the kinda weather my Grandpa used to say you could break a sweat jus' thinkin' hard in!! The temperature didn't drop any, nor the stickiness till we climbed above 3,000' AGL either, usually it drops in first few hundred feet. The haze was so thick you could only see the ground looking down, out in the distance everything just disappeared!!

When we got back in the afternoon it was just plumb unbearable, so we carried all the picnic tables down into the creek and sat with our feet in the water and chin-wagged some whil enjoying the shade and the breeze that had come up. The breeze was hot, but at least the evapouration felt nice. I drank about 6 quarts of water and sweet tea and musta sweated most of it right back out 'cause I didn't hafta go kill any weeds till past supper.   :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Bro. Noble

I just got in from cutting logs,  It's humid and about 90 and there was no breeze in the hollow where we were cutting.  I was drenched with sweat within a few minutes after starting the saw.  I drank a can of pop and a bunch of water.  I was really glad to get the truck and wagon loaded and back to the house.  After taking a nice long shower and putting on dry clothes,  I feel great.  My joints don.t hurt like they do when it's too cold.

I don't like to work when it's too hot or too cold,  but when you have cows that have to be milked,  hay that has to be put up,  and a son that wants to saw lumber,  you just go ahead and do it and really enjoy it when you're finished for the day.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

I'm a very tender and delicate person and anything over 72°F and I begin to melt. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

dail_h

I'm really most comfortable around 80,but like Bro Noble ,and tom,when ya gotta doit,ya gotta doit. I sweat like the villiage learning japanese 'rithmatic anyway, so I don't generly notice the humidity. I drink unheard of quanities of water,eat plenty of salt ,and keep a rag to wipe the sweat out of my eyes.
   With help.I have to be really careful,'cause most people don't take the heat as well as I do. They're dieing,and I'm going "whathot?"
   On the other hand,I can't take much below freezing
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

mike_van

I'll take winters worst over summers anytime - Even below 0, i've never been so cold I thought I might drop dead, but i've been that hot more times than I can remember.  I hate it, I wish the leaves would start changing tomorrow.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

thedeeredude

I agree with mike.  Id rather it be 30 and snowing than 70 and clear.  Todya I was taking branches off trees and cutting up stumps and it was not too fun.

Engineer

I'm really happy in temperatures between 60 and 70.  I can deal with 70-80 but not as well.  Summer is the worst season of the year for me, I hate it all - the humidity, bugs, heat, sweat, etc.  I already can't wait for September.  Even dead of winter it's 15 degrees out, you can get a lot of sawing done with good gloves and a set of Carhartt coveralls on. 

Yesterday I was at my folks house for a cookout, and we were watching the thermometer on the wall go up like a rocket.  At 4:30 pm the thing said 102 degrees (in the sun) and half an hour later it said 112 degrees.  I checked it against another thermometer and they were both the same.  I'm sure it was near 100 for real, but I've never seen 112 in Vermont, ever.  Anyway it was WAY too hot for me.  :(

brdmkr

I don't mind sweating.  But I hate, I say I HATE getting clammy (sp?).  You know the kind of sweat that wasn't enough to really get you sweaty.  It just doesn't set well with me.  When I get that way, I'll generally pick up the pace until I have a good sweat that I can handle.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

joelmar10

It's not the heat, it's the humanity... ::)

In the sun w/ midwest humidity I'm done at 90.  In the shade I'm fine til 99.

100 and I'm sittin and sippin indoors.

But then again I don't make my living at hard labor.  I don't know how the ancestors made it in full wool dress and biting flies with no screens to keep 'em out.  Of course they didn't live much past 40.  Wait a minute...I'M FORTY!!!!

Good to be alive today...fer sure
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

crtreedude

You know, the last time I made remarks about the weather - Jeff made my picture start snowing...

I am a little afraid if I mention where we live, it doesn't ever get really hot - but since they are visiting - I don't think he will mind...
  ;)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Furby

I hiked across death valley on a day of full sun and a temp around 95-100 degrees.
There was almost no humidity and I could barley sweat it was so dry.
But the heat really wasn't bad at all, so I can honestly say I don't know when it's "just too DanG hot".

Tom

I "Barley sweated" one time.  :D

Furby

Good catch Tom! :D :D :D
Ya all know what I mean't. ;)
Guess it's time for bed eh?