The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Poll: cell phones  (Read 19980 times)

Offline Faron

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Poll: cell phones
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2006, 10:07:43 AM »
I vote no ban, - but people need to use some common sense.

My wife kind of talked me in to carrying a cell phone.  I didn't think I wanted or needed one.  I needed it.  Many customers can now reach me when they need to talk to me, and that makes life easier for both of us.  I may be in the woodshop, the sawmill, farm, or woods.  If I depend on the answering machine at home, it may mean a trip back, whereas with the cell phone, lots of times I can take care of the customer's needs before I come home.  Friday my wife got in her car, dog tired after a long day, and the DanG thing wouldn't start.  50 miles from home and really no one available to call down there, at least not without emptying her pockets and mortgaging her firstborn.  She got hold of me, cell phone to cell phone.  I was able to get there and fix the problem, but I wouldn't have been home to answer the phone for another 2 hours at least.  It works the other way, too.  I often call someone to pick me up when I am moving equipment from farm to farm. 

I answer the phone whenever it is safe to do so.  I don't see any reason to keep a customer waiting.  He just might have both hands full of cash for me. ;)

Gary_C ,   Ya shoulda honked, man.  That was probably me going to fix the car! ;) :D

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Offline sandman2234

• Full Member x2
  • A serious accident is one that money won't fix.
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2006, 01:40:27 PM »
I will probably catch some heat for this one...
     I have driven all over this country, in familiar towns, and others that I hope to never have to return to. Since the early 90's, I have had a cell phone, and have managed to talk on it without getting in too much trouble. Or in other words, have managed to avoid hitting or running into anyone or anything.
   I did manage to ruin my almost perfect record in a small town in Florida, by catching a telephone pole coming out of a parking lot. A lady came out of the parking lot across the street from me, and I was in her lane. I spun the wheel to avoid her, and actually drove across the base of the pole with one tire. Never touched it with the vehicle, and managed to miss her, but ruined my perfect record.
    I have a friend who cannot answer a phone while driving. He knows it, and will pull off and call you back if you have hung up. I have spent hours on the phone while driving in bumper to bumper traffic, at 70+ mph down the interstates, backing up to a dock, or negotiating curves and street corners, while talking to him and others, and it amazes him.
     In case you don't know, I drive a tractor trailer for a living, and keep in touch with friends and family via a cell phone. I don't use a hands free device, mainly because I don't think holding a phone up to your ear stops you from using your eyes to watch what you are doing. It doesn't keep you from turning your head to see what is happening around you. When I need to shift a gear, I can reach thru the wheel with my other hand  and change the gears. (Truckers used to have to do this all the time with a duplex or triplex transmission,ie multiple sticks,  so don't jump on that bandwagon)
   The part that gives me the most problem, is actually dialing a phone number. The act of looking at the keypad to push the correct numbers gives me a problem. I reallly wish they would stop making keypads where each button is against the next. I used to could dial a phone without looking at it, but with new flater keys, it makes it hard to feel each key from the next.
   The technology to be completely hands free has been around for quite a while, including dialing. Mash one button, to activate it , and you don't have to look or touch the phone again. Now that was great.

A man has to know his limitations...
     David from jax

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2006, 03:22:32 PM »
I will probably catch some heat for this one...

Not from me.   ::)
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline Modat22

• Senior Member x2
  • I love my dog.
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2006, 07:19:07 PM »
I figure that a person should not do anything while driving that he or she wouldn't do while shooting a firearm.
remember man that thy are dust.

Offline sandman2234

• Full Member x2
  • A serious accident is one that money won't fix.
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2006, 03:46:15 PM »
Kind of hard to hear a cell phone with earmuffs on. With the new technology in smaller and smaller phones, maybe they will have one that will fit inside my earmuffs pretty soon!
   David from jax

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Poll: cell phones

Started by Ron Wenrich on General Board

0 Replies
Last post July 23, 2006, 09:36:30 PM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
cdl's and cell phones

Started by snowstorm on Forestry and Logging

17 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 06:32:50 PM
by Sprucegum