The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Poll: cell phones  (Read 20006 times)

Offline Mr Mom

• still alive!!!!
    • Share Post
Re: Poll: cell phones
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2006, 07:43:19 PM »
     I said to band them in car only and when driving.
     I have no problem with laws that keep people safe. Now some laws like alot of you have said are bull and should not be on the books.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Offline dundee

• Full Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 09:06:01 PM »
Hands free are OK--BUT when I see folk TEXTING while driving, that ain't "hands free", downright stupid
Richard

Offline Blake22

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 10:32:39 PM »
What's the difference in talking to your buddy on a cell phone vs him sitting in the seat next to you? Hell where I live you have to stop on a hill in the open for the phone to work in the 1st place. As for as a ban (a new law) no way. To start with the laws we already have aren't enforced. That's just what we need, let a theif or rapist or drug dealer slip by because all effort is on a person TALKING ON A PHONE WHILE DRIVING A CAR. Hope my 'hood doesn't fill up with people with phones.

Leave me alone.
Blake

Offline Engineer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 07:17:02 PM »
My vote is for "hands-free allowed" with a caveat or two.  Some folks might say, "well you can just pull over and talk".  Well not everybody does that, and I have nearly rear-ended several idiots for abruptly slamming on the brakes and partially pulling off the road because they had to answer the cell phone.    If you can use all of the important functions of the phone without touching the phone, that's ''hands-free".  If you have to pick it up even to press a button to talk, that's not, and it shouldn't be allowed.   People don't NEED cell phones but it has made business a lot easier.  I keep my cell in my truck 24/7, I look at it as a device for my personal use and nobody else's (that means incoming calls).

Not directly cell-related (or driving related) but a few times I've had a customer in my office when the phone rings.  They look at me and most ask "Aren't ya gonna get that?".  I tell them that I pay the phone bill, not the guy on the other end, and they can leave a message.  It helps my relations with the customer immensely.   The phone is for ME - MY convenience.   

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 10:25:02 PM »
Hey Jon!  PM me your cellphone number, would ya?  If I ever get a call from you, I ain't gonna answer it. ;D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline Engineer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 07:45:41 AM »
You know the type, dontcha?  You go into a store/office/business and the drone behind the desk seems to think the phone ringing is MUCH more important that a live customer standing there.    There's been a few times when I have been in a store, the moron answers the phone, I make sure I catch their attention as I deliberately leave whatever I was buying behind, and exit.  The looks I get are priceless.  Occasionally they'll get a clue.

The message on my cell says that it's for emergencies only, and the best way to get ahold of me is calling my office and leaving a message.    One time I had the cell phone in the office all morning sitting on a charger.   It rang.  The caller was a guy who was trying to get me to do some work for him, was impatient and annoying to boot.  I asked him if he had called the office first (he had, several days before).  Did he call this morning and leave a message? "Oh yeah, I sure did", and proceeded to segue right into his impatient diatribe about his problems.   I cut him off, told him he was a liar to his face, and told him I didn't work for people who can't even be honest about a simple phone call.

Offline Max sawdust

• If it's got to do with making sawdust; count me in!
    • Share Post
    • truetimbers.com
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2006, 08:49:35 AM »
Don't we have enough laws that are not enforced?  Really what should be banned is irresponsible people that have no regard for other people ;)  Hmmm we can banish all the irresponsibles to Washington DC and keep them there with all the politicians, then the rest of us can go on with living a dignified life with respect for a neighbor :D
Anyway..
I use mine with a headset in the car.  I checked the hands free box.  I have been trying to be less polarized on issues ::) But after reading the posts my dander is getting up and I should have checked no ban, cause a phone is just a tool, and it is the person behind it that makes it dangerous, just like other tools :-X
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Offline Bro. Noble

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2006, 02:07:42 PM »
I ain't got a cell phone and don't need one-----------very few people on speaking terms with me ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Offline Frickman

• Senior Member x2
  • Ouch, that hurt!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2006, 05:56:04 PM »
Bro. Noble,

If you got all your cows phones, you'd have plenty of reasons to use a cell phone.  ;)
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2006, 06:21:11 PM »
Naw, he only needs some nice cow bells on his lead/pet cows so he knows where the heard is. ;D Uncle had 2 or 3 old bossys in the heard he'de dangle a cow bell on and could here them when grazing or walking. Most the time they were at the door to go in to be milked at the right times of day. He milked by hand and had up to 8 cows milking, everyone went modern and he still milked by hand for 13 years before he called it quits. There was never any money in it, it was a hobby and lotsa work.
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline Bro. Noble

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2006, 02:58:59 PM »
SD,  still lotsa work and no money :(  I been thinking about that.  Here I been calling those cows stoopid.  They lay around in the shade all day and about run over me at milk time getting to the feed.  I bust my butt trying to pay the feed bill,  which is about as big as the milk check and comes more often >:(  Maybe the cows ain't the ones whats stoopid :o :o
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Offline Frickman

• Senior Member x2
  • Ouch, that hurt!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2006, 09:00:24 PM »
I'm driving down a local interstate/toll road this morning, about 55 mph in a 65 mph zone, with a load of logs on the truck. A young lady enters the highway from an on ramp and gets about one hundred feet in front of me. She's talking on the phone, totally oblivious to anything outside her PT Cruiser. That would be ok, if she accelerated and got a ways in front of me. She didn't, she went a few hundred yards, a quarter mile at most, and slammed on the brakes to pull off on the shoulder for something, I don't know what. I slammed on my brakes, skidded all over my lane, and came within ten or fifteen feet from hitting her. She still didn't see me or was aware of her surroundings. We almost had a major accident because she was yakking on the phone instead of driving. This is why I would like to see them banned while driving, or at least limited in some way.

Don't even ask me to wear one of those stupid looking cordless headset things over my ear. I hope I don't offend anyone, but they are some of the dumbest looking things I've ever seen. I can see where they'd be handy at work somewhere, like if you run a forklift in a warehouse and had to talk to the office. I have no problem with that. But to walk around talking to yourself, that's insane. We use to admit folks like that for psychiatric treatment, now we glorify them. I was getting fuel at the truckstop last night and some yuppy type comes in wearing one of those things like he was special or something. He wasn't even using it at the time, just wearing it. He thought it was cool, I thought it was stupid.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2006, 12:20:59 AM »
Rarely do I comment on these threads.  But, when it comes to driving I always look back at where I came from.  Back when I was turning driving age, most of us guys have already been driving.  It may have been the old Ford tractor, or the old Jeep pickup, or the old Studebaker.  Chances are, we drove them on the road long before we were of legal age to drive.

But, nowadays, instead of getting that experience on equipment operation, it seems that kids get their experience on video games.   Driving is just one big screen.  Talking on the cell phone is just another factor of life.  I still have the rotary dial phone.   Can you say old phart?   :D

It seems that some people have no problems talking on the cell phone, while others have some serious problems.  And that is the dilemna.  Should those that can be penalized by those that can't?  Personally, I don't see why anyone has to be that "connected" to the outside world that they need a 24/7 connection.  Solitude has its own rewards.

For me, I think some people have the ability to drive and yack on the phone.  For others, they are marginally able to drive.  And that is the problem with laws.  They protect us from some, but adversely effect others. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline PineNut

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2006, 04:36:40 PM »
Why should I spend good money for a cell phone so people can find me when I don't want to be found?

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2006, 04:48:43 PM »
What doesn't make sence to me is when I see folks out in their back yard yapping away and paying for air time, while it would be free inside the house on the land line. Some people have a few sinapses misfiring.  ::)
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
  • Poor white Southern trash
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2006, 06:37:13 PM »

I'm alot like Engineer in that a person standing in front of me is more important then the one on the phone.   The person who took time and effort to come and see me wants to do business.    When doing business with a person all others can wait their turn.   Sometimes you have to call and order stuff due to distance and a message machine is a good way to leave word on what you want.   I have a message machine and it is about the only way you will get a hold of me.   Do we really need that much yaking going on?    ???
ARKANSAWYER

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
  • Linda Vista, Costa Rica
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2006, 07:00:19 PM »

DITTO Engineer and Arkansawyer.

Have y'all noticed how handy them cell phones are for calling 911, RIGHT AFTER you just crashed yer rig for USING the DanG cell phone ??? 

My earliest experience was with an Attorney that we were recovering dinette chairs for. His phone was constantly going off while telling us what he wanted done to the chairs. I questioned him about that, and his response was, "I LOVE this thing". As soon as I get out of bed, I start calling people, and MY TIME starts when I dial. I make LOTS of extra money, NOW.  ::) ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Offline Paschale

• Senior Member x2
  • Got bit by some snow snakes...
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2006, 08:17:41 PM »
I voted no ban.  I use my cell phone when I drive, usually with a hands free.  I don't view as much different than if I was having a conversation with a friend who was sitting there with me in the car.  I think the problems are with people who are just bad drivers, rather than it being solely the fault of the cell phone use.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Offline Max sawdust

• If it's got to do with making sawdust; count me in!
    • Share Post
    • truetimbers.com
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2006, 08:04:18 AM »
What doesn't make sence to me is when I see folks out in their back yard yapping away and paying for air time, while it would be free inside the house on the land line. Some people have a few sinapses misfiring.  ::)

They have free land lines in Canada :o  Wow you guys sure have it good :D  Down in the USA land lines are very expensive, that is why many people just disconnect the land line and use the Cell phone for all calls.  This actually saves lots of money.

Land lines will go the way of the pay phone. Just look at Scandinavia and Europe, In Finland none of my friends have land lines, and the kids do not even know what a phone booth is ;)
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Offline treecyclers

• Running with sharp objects is my favorite pastime.
    • Share Post
    • Treecyclers, LLC
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2006, 09:47:39 AM »
There's a new push on for a "new" phone booth - a booth that is sound insulated that you can step into to take a call on your cell phone.
It's a take on the phone booths of old, but it's more of a BYOP - bring your own phone!
I thought it was a neat concept, but don't see them being used too much.
SD
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Poll: cell phones

Started by Ron Wenrich on General Board

0 Replies
Last post July 23, 2006, 09:36:30 PM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
cdl's and cell phones

Started by snowstorm on Forestry and Logging

17 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 06:32:50 PM
by Sprucegum