Sponsors:

Poll: Sawmill involvement

Started by Ron Wenrich, November 12, 2006, 08:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leweee

Quote from: OneWithWood on November 13, 2006, 09:14:41 AM
I'm with Lewee except I would have to add that I do have another job 'cause I am a full-time bill payer  :D

I could use one of those other jobs.  ;D then I could pay them bills faster. 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

tcsmpsi

Part timing.  But then, I reckon most all that I do is "part time". 

Just entering in, really.  Made the initial set up, cut up logs I had, enough to learn a great deal of the process and reasonable expectations.  Made the lumber I need to work on some projects already conceived and build the mill shed. 

Got the mill moved and stored, drying stacks dispersed, stacked and stored and have begun the mill shed.  Holding four owners with cedar logs at bay until I get the new set up ginning.

As the owner/operator/manager/accountant/technical engineer/advertising executive/marketing strategist/janitor, etc. of three diverse DBA's with individual and convergent subsidiaries, sawmilling and its various tangents is becoming a welcome part of the family.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

SwampDonkey

I've been a part time on looker from a comfortable distance.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raphael

I picked part time as it seems to fit a bit better than hobby mill but I'm not producing lumber to be sold.  It would be more accurate to describe my mill as one of many Timber Framing tools I use.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

metalspinner

Well, since there is no "Hobbiest Log and Wood Collector" checkbox, I checked "Thinking About Getting Into It".  That is actually kind of correct because I go to bed thinking of sawing and which mill would be the best for what I like to do.  But the reality is that I'm already to many things as it is, so "Thinking About It" will have to do.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

jackpine

I picked " part time"because even though I don't have another job I don't always saw every day. 90% of what I do is custom sawing both at the customers site and here where I live. There is not enough business in this area to saw every day but that works for me as I'm semi-retired and if I had to saw every day it would begin to feel like work :D  As it is I love sawing 8)

Bill

Cedarman

Treecycler, congratulations. It is tough to make the leap. Invigoration!!!!  Your brain will be fully engaged, you will be surprised at the things that will happen now.  You will think wood 24-7 and love every minute of it-even the rough times. If you have that entreprenureal spirit life will get even more exciting.  Money won't be the best reward, action will be.  Ride like a champ.

Started on an old LT-30 manual in '83.  Went full time about '89.  Lived poor for some time as every dime went into building the business.  Life is great. Am working 6- 12 hour days most of the time.  Not just sawing, but all the other things that make up the business. On the phone a lot with some really interesting people.  Just talked to the executive manager of an Indian nation in Ok. Never would have done that before.  I still love sawing nice ERC.  I can't think of a time when I have hated hearing the phone ring.  What new challenge will this be?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

sawguy21

There is no "Other" category.  ;D I grew up around loggers and spent some time cutting firewood and fence posts. Got into small engines and chainsaws over 30 years ago. Spent a few years heli logging and now sell saws (among other things). I have developed a real interest in milling since joining this forum.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bedway

Im in the early stages of building a saw carriage from a kit i got from Gary at Linn lumber. 8)

Mooseherder

I checked Thinking of Jumping in because I already jumped in and there wasn't a "In Limbo" choice. Spent a better part of all vacation days this year dismanteling a Fencing/Circle Mill operation that will be used later on down the road.  When I was 13, my friend Armand also 13 got me a job cleaning the debarker at Blier's Cedar Fence Mill in Keegan Maine on Saturdays. From there I graduated to putting the fence boards into the machine that made the dog ears on the boards. (Second shift) :D
The mill burned down about 30 years ago.
Todays child labor laws would have had a field day with that place. no_no

blaze83

Greetings all,

I just came across this site a few days ago and had to join. I picked the jumping in catagory,  I currently live in seattle but my folks have a 40 acre wood lot in Ohio and my dad is wanting to cut some boards and build a shop. He's offered to by the mill so next spring it looks like it's good by to the big city and hello rural living again. yahoo  8) is all I can say. I got the name and number of a guy in the seattle area that has a TK 1220. I drove for an hour to go see it and he let me run it. what a nice little mill, then I got stuck in traffic on Saturday on the way back and it took 2 hours to get back home.  >:( I'm ready to get outa here. any how, as the days go by I'm sure I will learn a lot and ask a lot of questions.

blessing to all,

steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, blaze83.

thecfarm

Welcome blaze83.If you ever want to go to a event where you can see sawmills in action check out the calender on the top of the page.Hope you get to live your dream.I do every day and I am lucky I can.Now if I did not have to work for someone else to do it.I'm more than half way there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SAW MILLER

I reckon I am part time but I custom saw around fourty hours a week and work second shift at a hospital another fourty so maybe I have two full time jobs.!!!
  I hooked up with a logger and saw all his walnut and cherry which he then wholesales
He says I'm makin him money.whooopeeee :) :)
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Tom

That's a long week, sawmiller.  Don't forget to smell the roses.  Life is short.  :)

mike_van

I sawed 4 walnut logs for a guy this week, been down for 2 years. Black, slimey, ugly looking logs. Inside though, was some really nice lumber, that hopefully is going to be around for a long time as furniture, floor, whatever - That part i really enjoy.  :)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

SwampDonkey

Mike I had some nice butternut logs on the ground for a couple years, while I waited for them to be sawed up. Actually, they were suppose to be sawed up with a bunch of other wood a couple months after i delivered to the guys yard. But, that's another story. Anyway, those logs cut out some nice lumber. They were a little bit darker, but not punky or spalted. It seems the wood is quite rot resistant. I've used it out doors without treatment and it seems to last for ever. After a couple episodes with portable mill owners I just hauled my logs to a circular and picked them up as boards at the end of the day.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DWM II

I got my w/m to work on projects on my home site after katrina nocked down a bunch of trees, then a neighbor would stop by and need a little something cut, or his friend in town was interested in having the trees on his lot turned into beams for his new home.......It looks like it is taking on a life of its own. I have two more weeks in school(yeeeeeehaaaaaaaa)and I think I will start to actually pursue some work and see if I can let the w/m pay for itself! Anyway, I get encoureged and educated everyday when I stop by here to see whats going on with you folks. I hear of yalls sucsesses and tight spots, how you work through'em and from what I can tell, everybody gets to eat at night. I do want to try to go full time one day!
Stewardship Counts!