The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Poll: Cloned meat  (Read 13294 times)

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
Re: Poll: Cloned meat
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2007, 06:00:14 AM »
Seeing the success of the irradiated foods is why the cloned meat producers don't want their foods labeled.  Irradiated foods would have made the recent ecoli a non-factor.  But, if you had the irradiation, farming practices would get even sloppier.  Its all industrialized food. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2007, 09:26:54 AM »
But, if you had the irradiation, farming practices would get even sloppier. Its all industrialized food.

It's not farming practices that are sloppy. The problems with contamination come from packing plant practices. Those processors save every scrap of tissue (not necessarily meat) from the carcass of every animal they process.  :)

Even with that, we have the best, safest food supply in the world. Yes, there is always room for improvement, and irradiation IS one of those improvements. Most of the food contamination incidents are due to accidential contamination and irradiation would eliminate those problems. But if people do not want their food to "glow in the dark" like the opponents have claimed, then so be it.   :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2007, 06:03:58 PM »
I'm thinking that spinach thing they had in the fall.  I know that Chi-Chi's had problems with Mexican onions that gave ecoli.  It ended up that it was in the irrigation water.  I'm not sure that was the same problem with the spinach.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2007, 06:09:37 PM »
Well, Ron, Spinach is poison.  I know for a fact that it is because my Botany instructor at the University of Georgia stood right there at the foot of the auditorium in the Lecture hall and said so.  He said it contains a deadly poison of which there is no anti-dote.  Yessir!   If you eat about three big truckloads of that stuff at a sitting, it'll kill you deader'n a hammer. :P
extinct

Offline DWM II

• Share Post
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2007, 06:47:57 PM »
Tobacco is poison too. I prefer the spinach!!! 8)

Aint never tried smoking or chewin spinach though.
Stewardship Counts!

Offline Max sawdust

• If it's got to do with making sawdust; count me in!
    • Share Post
    • truetimbers.com
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2007, 09:03:24 PM »
I voted no NOT because I am against cloning.  But because it just gets the big corp farms richer and puts more small guys in the city.  Food should be produced and processed locally. Not shipped across the world, manufactured in some mega corperate farm that has a deal with the wal-mart type stores of the world.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Offline Chris Burchfield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2007, 09:08:51 PM »
Long as it don't effect the taste of beef (rare & red), chicken fried, baked or grilled, pork (the other white meat) fried, grilled or smoked, turkey, baked or smoked I'll be just fine. My beef goes to tasten like turkey, chicken or pork, "NASA, We have a problem." Next thread, we'll cover cloned grits.  :D :D :D Where I'll get serious!
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Offline Jason_WI

• He who dies with the most toys wins.
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2007, 12:26:54 AM »
But because it just gets the big corp farms richer and puts more small guys in the city.

The big corp farm only seem richer because the corp owners skim there salary off the top to by a new truck every year with a mansion for a house with a gas well needed to heat it. They are all 6 and 7 figgers in debt. The american consumer is the one who will suffer to bail these guys out.

My dad made a dang good living with 400 acers and 52 cows. Sure he had debt but he paid it all off and every thing he has is his and paid for. With 12 dollar milk the young small guy can't make it go no matter how sharp your pencil is. The big guys are having to apply for grants just to stay alive. The only small ones that can make it today are the ones that had the farm handed to them from their parents with very little debt.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Offline srt

• Full Member x2
  • Specialization is for Insects
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2007, 05:25:56 PM »
I don't think I'd care to eat cloned meat, but that's just probably ignorance on my part.  I'd have no problem with meat that had been irriadiated.  Played with reactors for about 15 years, and (think) I have an understanding of radiation and therefore am not afraid. 

Just loaded up 2 steers to take to the butcher in the morning.  Now that's the best meat - homegrown with nothing added it doesn't need.  Butchered by a guy who has to look you in the face when you pick up the meat.  Since we started raising our own about 10 years ago, we have become "beef snobs". 

Now as to the Navy feeding lobster...........well, I don't remember any of that, and I was on a sub, where we were supposed to eat better than the rest of the navy.    Do remember those nasty Alaskan crab legs.  Never did acquire a taste for them.  Also remember "grissel chunks and snot sauce".  That was the crews name for any pre-cut meat that was thawed/cooked  in the steam table and then had some sauce poured over it.  They had official names like "pork adobo", "yankee beef stew", "beef terriyaki", etc... it all tasted about the same, and had about the same texture.

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2007, 05:50:34 PM »
It's the bit ships that get the good groceries.  I ate like a king on an aircraft carrier and a Tender. 

We ate good on our destroyer too, but I have to hand most of it to the cook.  He would vary the menu for the day, assigned by the Navy, to fit his own menu.   Stuff like the Navy's Salad would be chopped up vegetables in a big serving tub would be slopped on your tray on most Cans.  On our Can it was changed into indiual servings of a slice of tomato on a bed of lettuce with a dollop of his special sauce on top.  That's what made our ship special. 

I ate on sewer pipe in Key West and it was good.  The best part was that it was an open mess.  You could eat anytime your were hungry.

We ate steaks and lobster on the tender. 

We ate hotdogs on my tin can.  ....but we had steaks and ham and good stuff too.  When we pulled out of a foreign port, we would have pastries from that country for a couple of days too.

Yep, it paid to have a good cook.
extinct

Offline Beweller

• Share Post
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2007, 07:26:43 PM »
The mystery of K-rations was how the material in the sealed can came to taste just like the wax coating the carton smelled.

Coming back through a replacement depot, I found I could time my arrival in the chow line such that when I finished the line was very short and I could wash my mess kit and get back in line.  By the time I had finished that serving, the line was gone and they where serving seconds, and I could fill up again.

I was in the repo depo for about a week, and almost got filled up.
Beweller

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2007, 08:21:27 PM »
Seen a Corp. Memo today being prepared and sent to all our Meat Suppliers to inform them we will not carry, nor consider any commodity derived from cloned animals or their progeny.  It does not meet our specifications (and some legal mumbo-jumbo) All products being supplied have to be derived solely from conventionally bred animals. There is a certification, audit and verification process thru out the supply chain that suppliers also have to agree with also if they want to do business.

Also,
2 of the 3 irradiated items we carry are being discontinued because of no to little movement.
Lane Circle Mill
Homemade Bandmill

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Meat stick

Started by Kasba on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

9 Replies
Last post October 27, 2015, 08:34:56 AM
by petefrom bearswamp
xx
meat pie recipes?

Started by moose207 on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

7 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 12:10:07 PM
by POSTON WIDEHEAD
xx
Deer Meat

Started by Kansas on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

37 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 04:02:19 PM
by ErikC
xx
Smoked Meat

Started by K-Guy on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!