Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Cloned meat

Started by Ron Wenrich, January 28, 2007, 08:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

The FDA will probably rule whether they think it is safe or not by the end of the year.  Would you buy it?

Poll expires 2-12-07
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

isawlogs

No , I have this thing about trying to know where and how my food is grown ... And clonning just aint right ... nature has a way of doing things that we should not be messing with .  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

It will probably be ok to eat but I think I will wait for test results.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Fla._Deadheader

Never met a burger I didn't like. All look the same to me.  ;D ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

I ain't skeered of it.  Cow meat is beef and pig meat is pork.  What I can't figger out is, WHY? ???  The animals is perfectly willing and able to take care of the procreation process on their own, and there is always artificial insemination and embryo transfer to get the optimum bloodlines.  They trying to get a cow that tastes like chicken, or what?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

I said no, but only because I still have a choice.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

Voted yes, but think most consumers will not want it in their Supermarket. At least not till more data is out there.  I'm sure we will be getting alot of customers Inquiring soon.  For Farmers, it behoves them to reproduce their best animals. If you have ever been to a cattle Ranch, you would see most are virtually looking like kissin' cousins already thru genetic modification.

Most Ranchers and Retailers are tasked with supplying consumers with a consistent product with the right amount of lean, marble, flavor and palitability. Besides if the goberment says it's safe, ain't it?  :D

Dan_Shade

i agree with DanG, Why?

our breeders should strive to improve breeds, not replicate them. 

our "science" is going to be the end of us.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

Cloning is fine as long as you aren't passing on undesirable stuff.   When genes mix, nature tends to take care of most of that stuff.  We'll have to see how cloning produces.  That sheep, Dolly was it?, died an early death supposedly from a heart malfunction.  I dont think they ever really found out why.  While cloning might carry forth the same genes, we don't yet know exactly how they will always be replicated.

I had to say "I don't know" because I'd like to know something about it before I jump in with both feet.

We eat cloned food every day and it hasn't hurt us yet, as far as I know.  Oranges, pears and persimmons are cloned.  Some Tomatoes are cloned. The main reason that we haven't eaten cloned Cow is because we didnt' know how to make'em.

Gary_C

Man has been genetically engineering our food for a very long time. Just because we now choose to call it cloning or selective breeding really makes no difference to me.

I saw up front all  the BS about BST or BGH. It was amazing knowing all the facts and hearing all the scare tatics that were used to try to stop it from being used. Bovine growth hormone was first discovered back in the 1920's and it was hoped that it could cure dwarfism in humans. So 80 years ago at John Hopkins they both fed it to humans and injected it into their blood. The tests were a complete failure as BGH had absolutely no affect on humans. Seems that protein hormones not only are species specific, but when eaten they are readily digested just like any piece of protein. Insulin is another protein hormone and that is why it must be injected, not eaten.

I am a lot more worried about contamination in our food than wether the meat is from a cloned animal.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Furby

Marcel, nature clones as well.

woodbowl

NO!   Something is just not right here.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

isawlogs

Ya , I know Furby , but I am still partial to beeing chassed by having a bull  in the pasture . Also going out to find a replacement with the qualitys that we would like in a calf .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Kcwoodbutcher

Cloning a cow or pig seems like a lot of work to do something nature does OK by itself, but it wouldn't bother me to eat it. Now they're working on another type of cloning using tissue culture to grow specific types of meat. Basically it's like growing the steak and bypassing the cow. That makes more sense to me, but I'd have to wonder if you could get the flavor of naturally grown, cloned or otherwise, meat.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Tom

The only way that makes more sense to me is if they are putting it in K-rations.  That stuff was mystery food anyway.

The good part about it is that, if they can make a steak, they maybe can make a heart, liver or kidney that works.

pigman

When I get hungry I will eat almost anything including cloned meat. Tom, what is this K-rations you are talking about? I thought they were WWll rations. You are not that old. :o  Maybe it was a Navy thing.  I have eaten C-rations and LRPPs, but no K- rations. I feel neglected since I never got any spam.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Tom

Pigman, K-rations were before my time too.  But, in the 1950's, being in an Army ROTC program, we were introduced to them as a measure of education and harrassment.  We also sampled some C-rations. 

The Navy fed us lobster, steak, eggs, potatoes,grits, tomatoes, milk and cool-aide. 

I can still remember asking from the line, What are we drinking today.  And, having on of our youngest sailers from the Bronx yell from the mess decks, "LOUD MOUTH LIME!".

Ianab

No problem with eating a cloned animal, been eating cloned friut and vegetables for years.

The problem I see is with the actual farming of said cloned animals. You have a whole herd of genetically identical animals.

Now some new strain of cow flu comes along, and if your herd happens to be susceptible to it, the ALL die. Now with with a normal herd, each animal is different, so some might snuff it, the remainder survive and pass on the resistance to their offspring.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DanG

I et a bunch of Charlie-Rats.  I was one of the few that liked the Ham and Limas, so I did ok. ;D  Where I had a problem was with "B-rations".  That was the institutional sized, canned food that was for mess halls to put something out real quick.  Well, a whole gaggle of us came in late one night, and the mess hall was already shut down.  We hadn't eaten since breakfast, so they broke out some B-rats for us.  I musta been the only one hungry enough to eat the canned hamburgers.  Next morning, I got sick, REAL sick, about 200 miles from home.  They medevaced me out to a field hospital, where I DanG near died from Botulism poisoning, while they treated me for Malaria. ::)  I got out of there after about 3 weeks and literally hitchhiked back to my unit, only to find they had shipped all my belongings home. >:(  I got my stuff back before it left the country, and it all turned out ok, except I never did find that pretty Nurse I met at the hospital. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

Oh those mess halls had such good food. I always remember the mornings when they had "eggs to order" and they had a grill right in the serving line. We had this big bellied cook that would stand over that grill in a T shirt soaked with sweat, a cigarette in his mouth with the ashes falling on the grill along with the sweat dripping off his nose, and he would fry your eggs any way you liked, no charge for the drippings.  :)

DanG

Hey Gary!  We musta been in the same outfit, eh? :D :D

Texas Ranger

I figure a fella ada eat oysters (ersters for you up easters) would have no problem with cloned meat. ::)

I joined the US of A army in 1963, and was eating 1950's C-rats.  Tasted my first grits in Folt Polk, went to Fort Wood, then Fort Dix, then Germany.  First real food we got was when the commander changed cooks and he bought out of the country store.  But I am with DanG, ham and lima beans weren't that bad, considering 60 per cent of the box was eggs and what ever.  Rarely, we would get the steak and potatos, think there was one can of that per 5000 C-rats.  But I was young and hungry, just a growing boy, dontcha know, and anything that fit between my belt and backbone was just fine with me.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Gary_C

No DanG, I hid out in Germany till I escaped from the Army in early 1964. My hats off to you for what you did to serve our country.  smiley_clapping

For me, we just got to practice and try not to get run over by a M-60 tank on those narrow roads in Europe.   :)

DanG

Thanks for the kind words, Gary. :)  What you guys were doing in Germany was important too.  Your timing was just better than mine. :D

This has kinda gotten off the track. ???  I still can't figure why anyone would want to pursue the cloning of animals for food production.  What is the REAL goal here, anyway?  I'm thinkin' maybe all this is just experimentation, and they're wanting to clone humans someday.  Is Rosie O'Donald behind this?

Texas Ranger

DanG, DanG, ya got to be Rosie into a polite conversation?  I got to Germany just ahead of getting drafted and going on a summer tour of the far east.  But there was some weird stuff going on in other parts of the world at that time, and some of the folks over there got to see the elephant, as well.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry