iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 hydraulic system Vs LT40 Super hydraulic system

Started by Dan_Shade, May 10, 2007, 07:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

Sorry, the 2 hose list are to show you what hoses need to be changed and I included a hose diagram.  Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Dan_Shade

Thanks, Sparks.  You lost me on the alternator wiring bit.  Would I need to replace the wire from the altenator to the key switch? or just run it straight to the fuse. 

I'm going to have to look at the schematics that I have of the setup on the LT40.

I realize the problem with these projects is the little stuff will nickel and dime you, so I want to get all of that straight prior to pulling the trigger.

I figured that the larger alternator would more be necessary for the larger drive motors of a super, not the pump, but those 12V motors pull a lot of current any way you look at it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sparks

You will have to run a 6ga wire from the alternator to the fuse. That way the circuit can handle the load to the alternator.  Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Bibbyman

Looks like Wood-Mizer needs to bundle up an upgrade kit with instructions.   smiley_headscratch

Call it the Wood-Mizer Double Pumper! 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SawDust_Studios

Dan,

Just ask yourself how long it will be until you like the feed speed of the super?  Why do you think you have my ole' mill  :D :D

Then of course, there is the cutting power of the diesel!!!  Whats the point of loading the logs faster if it still takes you longer to cut through them.  Of course, that said, this from a guy that is either downgrading or getting out of the biz altogether.  But it is something to consider.

You have to consider the cost vs production too.. Will spending the 1k on upgrades really make production much faster?  Probably, but how much?  Of course, your like me and just like the idea that you probably can do it...  ;)

Dave
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Dan_Shade

I know what you mean.  I am trying to get it all preplanned out, so that I can figure out exactly what I want to do, and if it makes sense financially to go for it. 

It may well make more sense to bite the bullet and find a deal on a super, but I've made up my mind that I need to be showing profits before I go that far, and preferably have paid off this mill.   maybe I should hold off and see if I win that 25th anniversary mill :)

Dan_Shade

are the 3/8 and 1/4 hose fittings interchangeable?  it looks like it would be around $350 or so for hoses through woodmizer + the pump + all the electrical stuff.  i'm guessing the whole outfit will be over $1000 if the alternator is upgraded.

jpgreen

That is a real good point Dave.

Cause when I think about it, I'm spending time studying a log while I'm loading, clamping and turning so really, if I couldn't put the blade through the wood faster, I don't think the few seconds moving the log would up my productivity any.

Now faster up and down speeds, and being able to work the hydraulics at at point on the rail would definitely speed up the old LT 40..  8)

Not trying to highjack this thread, but just putting thoughts out there.  When it comes to spending money these days, you gotta be careful.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

pnyberg

I'm walking through the archives again, and came across this old thread. 

I must be getting better with my hydraulics handling, because they sometimes they feel slow to me now.  And I've seen all that empty space in my hydraulics box, so wheels in my head have been slowly turning.  I'll probably find more information in the archives as I continue to walk forward through time, but I didn't want to lose this thread, so I'm bumping it up.

So, Dan, you spent a lot of time looking into this back in 2007, did you ever pull the trigger?  If so, how did it work out?  If not, why not?

All other information and opinions on this topic are welcome as well.

Thanks,
    Peter
No longer milling

Dan_Shade

I didn't do it.

The main reason I didn't is the electrical system on a LT40 Hydraulic is not rated as high as the one on a superhydraulic.  The super has a larger battery, and a higher rated alternator.  It would have cost me several thousand to do it, and possibly could impact resale value of the mill.

I determined it would be a better idea to buy a larger mill and get the rest of the advantages of a super over a hydraulic mill.

Bandmill Bandit

I am thinking of doing the upgrades but including the ligt and feed motors as well. The faster hydraulics will be good but i rarely use my loader arms. I have a couple a pieces of 12 foot cedar power poles I take with me that I use for a roll way. I really dont think there is a mod capable of beating the roll way for loading time. Cuts down FEL time too cause I only have to load the roll way once or twice a day depending on the timber. I have had up to 15, 12 foot logs on at the same time smallest was about 20 inch small end. average about 26 inch. I saw over size logs from the Weyerhaeuser mill so I dont see to much small stuff 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!