iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Antique Treasures in the woods

Started by Walnut Beast, February 25, 2022, 06:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Antique barbed wire Crandall Zigzag. Mr. Edward Crandall out of Chicago Illinois. Patent 1879

newoodguy78

I've found some that looked a lot like that. Didn't realize it was quite that old.  Made good stuff back then. 

aigheadish

This board was on the side of a rock shop (Zion Rock and Gem, you can see the board in Street view if you head northeast just past the building and turn around back towards it) in Springdale, Utah. I thought it was neat to see the crazy variations of barb wire.

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

hedgerow

I have pulled up out of the dirt some different looking barb wire while cleaning up old fence, tree lines in pastures. There used to be a guy that came to a local to me threshing, tractor show and had about four or five 4x8 sheets of plywood with old barb wire on them. It was always neat to take look at them. Lot of different styles of wire back in the day. 

moodnacreek

SwampDonkey

No ox shoes here, because up here it wasn't farmed and settled this far from the coast until the rail road came through. Find those down on the Fundy Coast, there are settlements there over 400 years. All horse up here when settled. Oxen would have ended about the time the railroad came through.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lxskllr

I started a barbedwire collection with the intention of stapling them to a board, but I've misplaced them all. I probably had about eight different samples. I've found long buried horseshoes. Not that they look any different than new ones, but it's cool finding shoes from when horses were the main power supply. I found a log house once. Looong abandoned, and extremely dangerous to go far inside(it was collapsed), but still super cool, and no obvious passage to get to it. It was just there in the woods.

mudfarmer

Quote from: moodnacreek on February 25, 2022, 01:17:16 PM
How many have found ox shoes?
Dad did, at the family farm.. guess it took him a bit to figure out what they were  ;D

That stuff you found looks cool!!

These were not found by us, and the display was damaged (MDF) when we got it. Maybe you inspired me to rebuild it.

newoodguy78

I've found multiple horseshoes of all random sizes, despite all my looking have yet to find an ox shoe. I suspect they tend to lay flatter in the field but don't know. Picked up 3or4 from horses last season 2 of them were sticking straight up after I went through. It's crazy what you'll find doing tillage work. 

moodnacreek

On the homestead there was wire my great grandfather put up that I have never seen anywhere or in those barb wire collections. Maybe because it was not barbed.  It was flat and twisted but plain.

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: moodnacreek on February 25, 2022, 01:17:16 PM
How many have found ox shoes?
The farm that I own and work was once worked by a man that raised and trained farming  oxen. Over 100 years ago. I think.
I have found ox shoes and more. Parts of old farm machinery, cabin foundations, wells, coins, tools, crockery, utensils, and buttons. A few arrow heads scrapers and stone knives as well.
Th wells are interesting. Some are rock lined and over 30 ft, deep.    
I like to think about the men that were here before me right down to the Seneca Indians that lived here.     How many people worked here, lived here and died here?  
Awesome to think that someone will work this land when I'm gone as well.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Don P

The neatest I guess was the last 6" or so of a sword in its scabbard, the rest was rusted and rotted away. We were on an old homesite in the woods and it seemed to belong there. Daffodils usually mean you are in an old yard, its neat to find them way back in away from any modern roads. Old zinc and china canning jar lids, those things get around, I've found those lids way underground, groundhogs I guess.  We were tree planting somewhere down on the Pee Dee, the site was deep and everyone had planted out and we were taking a shortcut back to the landing. There in the middle of the woods was a beautiful plantation house, a real gem, slowly succumbing to time.  Twice I've stumbled into a small clearing after dark, rolled out and gone to sleep, only to wake up the next morning to realize I was in an old mountain cemetery with no markers, oops.

lxskllr

Quote from: moodnacreek on February 25, 2022, 07:05:14 PM
On the homestead there was wire my great grandfather put up that I have never seen anywhere or in those barb wire collections. Maybe because it was not barbed.  It was flat and twisted but plain.
There used to be some of that around here. I used to find it playing in the woods as a little kid. I'm pretty sure around here was the only place I've seen that ribbon(?) fencing, and I'm all over the place, in all kinds of wood and field for work.

SwampDonkey

Lots of old farm stuff here behind the house, under snow. It would have been better to have taken photos when it still had it's wood components in the 70's and 80's. Great grandfather's machinery here. He never owned a tractor. The wood lasted a long time to. There was seed rollers, a sickle bar, 2-row potato planter, a hand turned potato roller table for grading taters (that was in the grainery), an elevator hay rake, wagons, sleds, plow, harrow, seeder. A lot of stuff got 'robbed' over the years to keep other stuff, sometimes newer, fixed and running. Never throw away iron, put it in the bone pile where it can be scavenged. ;D  There's at least 4 old cars from the 40's and 50's back there. I'm pretty sure the motors and trannies are all missing.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Lilacs are a sure tell sign of an old home around here. But over the years they have been chocked out by the forest.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moodnacreek

Sometimes a woodchuck will dig out a present for you.                                                                                                           The flowers that don't belong there, compacted soil, stones in a straight line; there will be a hand dug well or a spring, real people lived there once.

mike_belben

The bluff bottoms and creek hollars around me are full of arrowheads. More generations of redman than white man have inhabited it. 
Praise The Lord

aigheadish

All I've found could hardly be considered antiques... An old tube TV and what appears to be a rotting truck tool box, both in a place in the woods that didn't make sense. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Don P

An old forester told me to walk around back of a building. Todays find, I dug this set out to make sure, don't know the make, not in the woods but one heck of a brushy mess. I lost track but at least 3 sets, I spotted the feed drum, misc shafting. Y'all wouldn't believe me if I said all I had seen that the old man had drug home  :D.

There was also a lightweight Sears carriage back there, it looked like, and I'm guessing, Belsaw made it and branded it for Sears. And then there was the 12 cyl flattie.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Don P on February 26, 2022, 04:31:46 PM
An old forester told me to walk around back of a building. Todays find, I dug this set out to make sure, don't know the make, not in the woods but one heck of a brushy mess. I lost track but at least 3 sets, I spotted the feed drum, misc shafting. Y'all wouldn't believe me if I said all I had seen that the old man had drug home  :D.

There was also a lightweight Sears carriage back there, it looked like, and I'm guessing, Belsaw made it and branded it for Sears. And then there was the 12 cyl flattie.
Finding junk like that is more fun than the law's allowen :). I like Don's vision, he knows what he's looking at.

Walnut Beast

Not quite a antique but treasures from the woods 

moodnacreek

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 03, 2022, 07:32:14 AM
Not quite a antique but treasures from the woods  

Now you have to find the other side :).

Thank You Sponsors!