Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: CAFE standards

Started by Ron Wenrich, June 18, 2007, 05:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I am undecided. I do agree that the automakers aren't going to do anything unless they are forced to. I watch the pickup diesels, and a few years ago you wouldn't have believed someone if they said they where going to do what they have done regarding emissions and horsepower. I would have thought that they would have had to derate the engines to meet the standards, but diesel pickups are at an all time high as far as power. And as far as I know, they are maintaining the same MPG standards as well, or least the Dodges are.

OWW, Dodge offers a Cummins/electric hybrid truck for fleet use. It can also be used for a serious genset as well. I haven't heard anything abou them lately, as they are not mainstream.

FDH, the computer chips in the diesel pickups can actually be a good thing, if they are used wisely. My truck got better mileage with the computer, and better towing as well. I attribute this to more boost, earlier in the rpm range. In stock form the engine wouldn't start building much boost until about 1200 rpms, so there was lag and soot etc. Now with the computer it makes more power from less fuel (less waste). That isn't to say that you can't tank your economy as well, I can turn my computer up to "Soft Coal" and stop traffic behind me, but used wisely, I think they are valuable.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Fla._Deadheader

I fully agree about the chips, Dave. I think a LOT of people are just interested in dusting others off at the light ???

Dodge 3500 I had, was a bear off the line. Once ya get to 35 MPH, better have a hole to go through if ya nailed it.  8)

Diesels are now dusting gassers at the Drag Strips. Just thought y'all might wanna know.  ::) ::) ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dave Shepard

In my opinion, the best diesel for a car would be under 2.0L, four cylinder, twin-turbo. This would be an efficient light weight engine, that could easily meet any reasonable horsepower needs. Todays diesels don't use a small fraction of their potential. Why have an engine that will last 1,000,000 miles, when the truck it is in won't? At least not in northern climates. A tiny engine using more of it's potential, with a reasonable life expectancy of 250k would make more sense to me. A friend of mine has done some driving in Europe, and he said that the cars he drives are set up just this way. They have more than enough power with unheard of (to the U.S.) fuel economy. I know we are fighting a big corporate machine, but I think we can do much better than we are right now.

I have done my fair share of stoplight racing, and making sports cars look foolish. ;)

I also have a pile of transmission parts to show for it. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

PineNut

I agree with Tom about automatic transmissions freewheeling when going down hill. When on cruise control and going downhill, note the tachometer decreasing significantly while the speed increases.

PawNature

I don't like government messing with anything. 95% of the time whatever the government tries to fix, gets worse.

GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

rebocardo

> 95% of the time whatever the government tries to fix, gets worse.

Like the tax code and the IRS    food2

> > "how do you attach a tag to horse"?

From the front with a sugar cube. The biggest question is what to put on the horse to lower tail pipe emissions. 
smiley_horserider

Modat22

The human animal will get away with whatever it can and mess up the whole planet for everyone. The problem isn't the government, the problem is human nature.
remember man that thy are dust.

Bill

Being the cheapskate that I am I sure do envy those foreigners over in Europe - had low sulfur since the early nineties with lower diesel emissions and from what I'm reading they can buy station wagons that get 70 mpg or smartcars and vw's that get 75-95 mpg on the highway. I 'd buy one if I could as the cars are pretty much what is certified here - cepting for the diesel motors . And all this baloney about lowering the use of foreign oil - US of A grown biodiesel is OK with me ( algae or soy beans don't matter to me ) and there's that governor out west ( Wyoming or Dakota(s) that would give us all the low polluting diesel we want from coal. Doesn't take any high-fallutin new technology - the coal stuff has been around since WWII - next thing you know they'll all be acomplaining about how they're gonna make and where they're gonna put all the old batteries. Course that's too easy - better to build a whole bunch of new power plants ( or hydrogen plants ? )  so we can plug our cars in to drive a few miles . . .   Almost seems like the people writing the rules forgot who they work for - spend more time bickering over whose turn it is to talk then what's good for us .

Sure doesn't make sense that they can do it in Europe but we don't know how to - are they that much smarter than us ?

BBTom

Maybe it is just me, but I think the goverment should go back to the constitution, and repeal 99% of the laws they have passed in the last 60 years.  I believe the goverment is supposed to provide for the military and police to protect rights and not much else.  Now they are bent on taking away all our rights for the betterment of a few.

It is long past time for goverment to downsize. 

If that means that we have to pay $5 a gallon for gas, then we will probably get smart and buy fuel efficient vehicles.  If we all buy fuel effiecent vehicles, then the manufacturers will make them.

Sorry for the rant, just tired of being taxed to help raise generations of idiots that won't take care of themselves.

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

thurlow

smiley_clapping smiley_hellow_im_here smiley_beertoast smiley_sun smiley_contract_point smiley_clapping smiley_hellow_im_here smiley_beertoast smiley_contract
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

rebocardo

>  I believe the goverment is supposed to provide for the military and
> police to protect rights and not much else.

I think that way many times and then think about all the things I would not have if it had not been federally mandated.

Such as having ingredients listed on food packages, seatbelts and airbags in cars, dual circuit brake systems, gas tanks not in the passenger compartment of vehicles especially buses, parts available for new cars for 15 years after date of manufacture. All things that the public wanted, but, companes refused to supply until the law forced it on them.

Then I think about the things I hate such as the roadless int. and monuments passed by Clinton.

Then I think about the things I hate seeing money go to. Such as the NEA.

It is so confusing for me to determine when less is more and more is less  smiley_huh

BBTom

I do believe that most of the things you mentioned would have come to pass, had the government not stifled progress with mandates.  What we will never know, is what fantastic new things we could be using right now, if laws had not mandated what had to be used.  Sure, some of the new things would have flopped or caused bodily harm, but once in a while something that revolutionizes the way we think comes along.  I am willing to use my brain to figure out what I should use and what i should not.  I may be wrong once in a while, but at least i tried.

The law of supply and demand works, but it works only when not interfered with.

Sorry, I guess I jumped back on my soap box.  I will get down for good now.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.