iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

104 Degrees, Hottest Day of the Year, and............

Started by WDH, August 08, 2007, 08:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

It was very hot in Athens, Ga. on Saturday and Dodgy Loner would not answer his phone when we called for help in moving furniture. :( ;D ;D  Thats ok Dodgy, we got everything unloaded and were resting in the cool air by 4pm.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Now Pigman has a Bulldog in the family 8).  Now that is COOL ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

After a one-day respite, it's about to be even hotter in Dublin, GA.

Predicted actual for    Tuesday:         105 F
                                Wednesday:           107 F
                                Thursday:   103 F

Any volunteers to help me start a new sawing job on Wednesday?  It's not much,
just a bunch (40?) of short logs, loose bark logs, and miscellaneous left-behinds from
a clear cut.  Plenty of cat faces in the bunch too! Oh, did I mention they all are to be cut into 1X6s?

Phil L.                         
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Larry

Neighbor found out I was on the prowl in north Missouri so he asked me to help him house tobacco.  Forecast was for a heat index of 117...it never made it that high but I still quit at noon.  He called me a pansy. ;D :D ;D :D

Still, right across the Missouri river in the foundry at Atchison Casting I would guess the heat index bumping 150 degrees or higher.  No wonder so many quit round this time of year.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I'm thinking that Wed. saw time may be from 6:30 AM, til about noon.

I stayed with it until 3:00 one day last week.  Heat index was 119, actual 103.
Took a long break, then tuned a piano.  I went back to stack lumber from 7-9 PM.

I couldn't get to sleep that night until my legs had wound down a couple of hours. 
Must have been "Restless Leg Syndrome."

(See illustration:   8)  )

That was a little much.  TOO much!

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

pigman

Larry, you sound like a smart pansy to me. On second thought, you might be less than smart for even helping to house tobacco at all. ::)

Bob the former tobacco farmer

dail_h

Hey Larry,
   What kind of tobacco you guys grow in MO,and how do you house it? 1inquring mind here in N.C.,home of flue cured wants ta know
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

pigman

dail_h, I am not Larry, but I do know they had and I assume still have a burley market in Weston Mo. I think some  burley tobacco farmers moved to that area way back and took their tobacco growing expertise with them.

Bob

Larry

Dail, Bob was right about our market in Weston.  Only two counties in Missouri and one county across the river in Kansas grow it.  We air cure our tobacco by hanging it on sticks from rails in very tall tobacco barns.  There might be three or more men handing the tobacco from the wagon, hand over hand until you get the rails filled at the top of the barn.  Hot nasty work. 

Neighbor had a crew hired, but there was couple of no-shows which is pretty typical on hot days or for a few days after they get paid. :(
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!