iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Fir Bark

Started by Firebass, August 13, 2007, 11:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebass

I am finding that I am accumulating a large pile of bark from my mill.  Anyone have any really niffty ideas what to do with it?  Is there a fairly economical chipper that can handle chipping bark ???  or is it just best to add it to the burn pile ::)

Firebass

Jeff

Since no one has jumped in, I'll give you my opinion. 

I don't know. :-\

I'm sure someone will come along with some sort of solution albeit fire sounds most handy.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

How big are the pieces?
I would guess seeing how it's just bark, a smaller 5 or 8 horse chipper/mulcher unit would work ok to shred it.
Do you have anyplace you can spread it as is for mulch/weed barrier?

thecfarm

Own any woods just to dump it in?I feel if you did not keep up chipping it than it would become a all day job to get rid of the pile.I take all my sawdust,bark from spliting my wood down to my wood yard.It's a little bit uneven and I hope some day it will be level.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Firebass

Spreading it in the woods is not a bad Idea.  Some of the pieces are big chunks 2" thick.  I wonder if a brush hog as ever been used for busting up bark. :o

Firebass

brdmkr

Quote from: Firebass on August 15, 2007, 10:54:14 PM
Spreading it in the woods is not a bad Idea.  Some of the pieces are big chunks 2" thick.  I wonder if a brush hog as ever been used for busting up bark. :o

Firebass

Sure it has! Maybe not on purpose :D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

SwampDonkey

I know this is just a marketing idea. But, is it Doug. fir bark? Some chemical companies use it for potato seed piece treatment, in powder form.  ;)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
TUBERSEALTM:

To Control Fusarium Seed Piece Decay

Apply at the rate of 500 g per 100 kg of seed.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!