The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Poll: paper or plastic  (Read 9596 times)

Offline katie-did

• Full Member x2
  • Hey There! Hi There!
    • Share Post
Re: Poll: paper or plastic
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 09:46:14 AM »
Paper Please!

If I have a choice I would rather have paper but unfortunately most of my shopping happens at the Superstores and all they have is plastic.  :(  I will give them one brownie point in the fact that they have a box that you can return them to be recycled. So when I come home for my big once a month trip I just unload the bags and toss them in the middle of the kitchen floor and bag them all back up and put them back in the truck for the next trip.

I have very little respect for the training of cashiers this days though they have no idea about common sense  :-\ YOU DO NOT PUT CLEANING SUPPLIES IN WITH FOOD, AND CLOTHING GOES IN A BAG BY ITSELF. I will only shop during the day and I am picky as to which cashier I pick when checking out so I do not get a lot of grief when I want things done my way.  I have to unload my cart so that I know that things get bags correct and so I end up with as few bags as possibly. I put all of my colds, boxes, can and cleaning stuff together so that I know that they will get bags separately. You can fit more in a bag if you put likes together and if you can only fit one thing in a bag or if you have to double bag it other then cans dont bother bagging it. I cut my number of bag in half by doing this.

Personally, I love the stores that promote boxes and gives you the option to pay extra to get the paper bags. I guess I am a little biased since paper and boxes put the food on our table. Part-Timer works in a 100% recycle paper mill. But I figure that by me recycling my plastic bags are putting food on someone elses table and hopefully they are recycling there paper and cardboard for us. 8)

You would think that more stores would promote customer to take the boxes since they have to pay to have them haled way. The middle man it really making out because they get paid to haul the bails way and then they charge top dollar to sell it to the mills.  :-\

Talking about the price of paper verses plastic the plastics would not be a cheep if they would make the bags heavy enough to hold what was being put in them. :o

Brucer- sound like your wife need to patent them bags you could be making millions!  ;)
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 12:18:05 AM »
I don't think it's patentable (is that a word) ???

In any case, I wouldn't want to make a buck off it. Maybe we could get someone to manufacture a bunch of these bags and stick the FF logo on them. Sale proceeds to go to Jeff, naturally.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Offline IMERC

• Senior Member x2
  • I have fishin'itis.... Really bad...
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 01:58:34 AM »
use their boxes that the food stock comes in...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Offline Don_Papenburg

• Senior Member x2
  • I need money
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 11:17:10 PM »
Used to be a grocier in town that had a stack of boxes that his products came in setting by his cashregister.  He ran the whole store himself ,for the most part. anyway when you would check out he would look at his stack, pick a box and box up your goods and they fit the box without any gaps that would let them fall or slide . Then he would offeer to carry them to your car.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Offline Bill

• Why Not ?
    • Share Post
    • Photos
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2007, 08:37:12 PM »
FWIW

I choose paper - then use 'em to collect the junk mail or old newspapers that're left over for recycling day.

They also do double duty for other stuff - once even pulled the old trick of making carb gaskets when nobody could find a rebuild kit at the auto parts place - worked cool  ;D

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2007, 04:14:17 PM »
The big supermarkets here have enviro bags now. I suppose they are made from recycled plastics. Nothing to stop anyone from using their own cloth ones. Paper bags for groceries went out of here years ago as soon as Irving started their on plastic bag business, since they run the largest refinery in Canada, and building a second one. 

My father used paper and burlap in the potato business. I remember wrestling those wired up, 1000 burlap bag bundles. What wasn't so fun was toting them full of 100 lbs of potatoes and stacking them on pallets 8 feet high. :D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 05:39:47 PM »
When Mary shops at Wal-Mart,  we get about 20 plastic bags.  Some with just one item in them.

We also do a lot of bulk shopping at Aldies - they charge 5 for a paper bag I think.  Mary takes a big box and has it in the back of the Durango.  She'll empty the cart of all the small items in the box and the rest just has to hold on the best it can.

There is a new grocery store in town. It's not a mega-mart and it's on our side of town making it even better.  Mary's shopped there a time or two.  The last time she said something about all the plastic bags and they asked if she wanted paper she said yes so they d-sacked all the stuff and re-stuffed it in paper bags.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline treebucker

• Full Member x2
  • God 1st.
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 12:07:41 AM »
Ok, I saw something on TV last week where a company was using recycled grocery bags mixed with wood chips to produce decking boards. The boards contained color throughout and were guaranteed not to warp, split, check, etc... I can't remember if I saw it on The History Channel's The Boneyard "Garbage" episode or on Ask This Old House or on This Old House.  This seems to bring the wood back into the grocery bag. Or is is the grocery bag back into the wood?

I use whatever is handy (paper, plastic, boxes, shirttail, nieces, nephews, etc.)

Do fences and power lines geta vote here? They sure do like them plastic ones. :D
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Offline schmism

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 10:19:29 AM »
i use a combo of both.

I perfer to bag my own as i know what i want in what bags.

Boxy sq stuff i put in paper.

heavy bulky stuff (cans etc) i put 3x more in one bag then double bag it,   i dont want to have to carry 15 bags with 2 items in each bag!
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2007, 08:55:17 PM »

Here we still have choice of plastic or paper in the smaller convinience stores .. the box stores almost all went to plastic .   We do have some bags available at the stores , these bags are made of heavy plastic and have handles sewed to them , much like the bags that Eaton's and Sears had a long time ago ( I dont recall there names ...  this happens to me from time to time ...  ::)  )  we buy them for one dollar and the store credits you .03 cents for every bag you use for your groceries . I had one with me at the piggy roast ... it never did make it back over da border   :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 04:06:57 PM »
Some stores here now are weaning the public off plastic bags by charging $0.05 a bag at the grocery til. Many will be toting those cloth bags or boxes. Some store chains have been doing this for over 10 years in other provinces. In Wal-Mart the other day I noticed a big bin full of paper grocery bags, only they weren't labeled as such. I forget now what they were marketing them as. It never took in my memory cells. ;D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline Ironmower

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 06:57:35 AM »
I ain't seen paper bags in the grocery stores around here in 20 years :( My wife keeps'em and crochets rugs out of them ;)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
paper or plastic

Started by timh on Firewood and Wood Heating

9 Replies
Last post January 19, 2013, 07:16:27 PM
by bill m
xx
Rosin Paper of roofing felt paper

Started by bulldozerjoe on General Woodworking

8 Replies
Last post September 16, 2019, 04:25:54 PM
by Nebraska