iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Average Sawyer Age ?

Started by SCSawyer, August 29, 2007, 09:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCSawyer

Hey guys I was told today that I was to young to know much about sawing and was wondering what the average age of the sawyers is in here so I will know if I can tell this feller to ~#^* well you get my point >:( Thanks guys ???
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

saw4you

I am 33 just got my sawmill almost 2 years ago, but I have been a carpenter all my life

DanG

Well Silas, that's a really interesting question, and one I hope a lot of people will answer.  Let's see now.....I've been on this earth as a semi-active human for 61 years, and I've been sawing for 5 years.  61+5 is 66, and half of that is 33, so I guess my average sawing age is 33. ;D

I'uz jist pullin' yer leg there ::) but I did have a point to make.  It doesn't matter how old you are or even how long you've been sawing.  What matters is how much you know about it and how good you are at bringing that knowledge to bear.  Basically, it boils down to how much homework you have done.  Now, with only 5 years experience, I think I'm a fairly competent sawyer on the type of mill I run.  I haven't sawn millions of board feet, but I care about what I'm doing and I have put a lot of effort into the learning process.  I think about every log and try to get the very best lumber out of it that the log has to offer.  There is still an awful lot for me to learn, and I probably won't live long enough to consider myself an expert, but I'm pretty happy with where I am right now. :)

Your profile says you're 31, so you could easily have much more sawing time than I have. ;)  How long have you been sawing?

I hope everybody will post their age and sawing time too. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

So, how old do you have to be to know something?   That's stupid.  You learn by studying.  If you don't study, and don't learn to listen, you could be ignorant at 110 years old.

I think I would tell him that you have had some really good teachers.  :D

pineywoods

I'm probably gonna mess up your average figures a bit. 71 and still going strong..only 12 of that sawing, the restspent messing with big computers
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

JimMoore

I am 43 I got my sawmill  4 years ago still a lot for me to learn

footer

Been sawing for about 10 years

inspectorwoody

Well I have been sawing in the big mill since I was 19. I don't do it full time,just a relief sawyer. I learned by experience,studying and talking with other sawyers.

Your never to young to learn something knew.  ;) I'd just tell him his kind is out dated!  ;D

Brad_S.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

beenthere

I'm 68 and don't know much about sawing.. ;D ;D..how long do I have to wait.... ::) ::) ::)
(PS   don't know nuttin about ATV ridin... ;D ;D ;D)

SCSawyer
Whoever told you that, doesn't know jack......IMO :)  I looked at your Bio, and I'd say you have to know a lot about sawing...Any idea why this guy would suggest you didn't   ??? ??? ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kelvin

Howdy,
I'm 36, and been sawing and selling wood part time for about 8 years now, sawing full time since this January, if you could call it that.  I think i spend about 10% of my time actually sawing and the rest stacking and moving stuff around.
KP

Larry

I'm 18 going on 59 most quick.  Sawing for 13 years...and still learning.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tree dude

40 sawing for 1 ,trying to learn as much as possible as quick as possible,been cutting trees for about 15. Does that count? smiley_hollywood_cool

woodmills1

56 and dunna know mucca then tella me please
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Don K

43 and sawing a coupla years.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

jackpine

62 and have been sawing part time for 7 years

Bill

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SAW MILLER

I am 55 and bought my first mill in 1979 and I'm still learnin :)
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Jeff

I've added a poll to the question to help sort it out. ;) :)  I gotta think our average age at least on the forum is 50+

sawing time: in my 29th year
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

I started sawing on my 30th birthday, 12-02-06. I take exception to the theory that you have to have been doing something all your life to do it well. I know people who have done one thing all their life, and done it poorly.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

dutchman

56 years and started sawin Feb 1999

BBTom

56 and sawing for 6

Don't think I've hit the million BDFT mark yet, but am pretty certain I am more than halfway there.  I guess you could say I have had some practice, but I know I am not perfect... yet!!! ;D
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Shamus

37 and milling for the last 4 years as often as I can, just feel like I am getting up to speed, and slowly starting to bring in some customers and nickels. Its amazing how much you think you know when you get started, and how much you realize there is still to learn after the learning curve starts to level out. People sure do like the finished product, and as hard as I have been trying to stay low profile, I think that they are on to me...
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

little-guy

well am 47 and have been sawing as a hobby for about 10 years ..but the first 8.5 have been with my old 46" round mill ( built as a salvage mill,14 ft cutting length).the last 1.5 has been with my Norwood lumberlite. but now the hobby is actually getting busier with customers,but not enough to quit my day job. some day soon i hope..lol
Cec
you gotta be happy playing with your toys ..mine are ..norwood lumberlite 24 ,743 bobcat and 1950 John Deere 4010 crawler

Thank You Sponsors!