Main Menu

Sponsors:

knowledge base poll

Started by Tom, December 27, 2007, 10:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Dan_Shade

I think the knowledge base here is great.  I sometimes forget about it, but there's some real good stuff in there.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don_Papenburg

I have visited it without knowingly doing so  and searched it out also.
May have even contributed once.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

sgtmaconga

I ran it ragged untill i bought my mill. now i pick thru it everyday for one thing or another.
Measure twice cut once

Bibbyman

I think the Knowledge base is a good tool and idea.  We've kind of let it slip into the background the last few years. It has even been taken from the top row of options and hidden under "Forum Extras".

I've not tried to add or update anything in it since the new Forum software has been installed.  Is it still a bit cumbersome to manage a post into it?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

I go in there once in awhile and have added an item or two. My visiting frequency is probably once every 2-3 months.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don K

I have used it and find it quite handy.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

I wonder if the Forum Extras button shouldn't be in the menu bar. I think it gets missed because the button doesn't really stand out that well, it kind of blends into the graphics of the page. Once in awhile someone might click on it to see if it sends them into another page, out of curiosity. Could a script be written to have the button flash every few seconds to draw attention to it?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Bartley

I clicked "don't know how to use it" because I have never visited it, and that's because I didn't know that there was such a thing ... typical newbie eh? :)

I guess I'll go have a look ...

cheers eh?

EDIT:  well .... having had a look-see ... that's an interesting part of the forum that I didn't know about. There's a whole range of interesting, useful, entertaining stuff there!!
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

pineywoods

I have used the knowledge base and the forum toolbox extensively. The experience and knowledge on this forum is PRICELESS. and the range of subjects covered is just awsome.
Thanks Jeff
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

David Freed

I voted "don't know how to use it" because I didn't know there was one. I agree with SwampDonkey. The forum extras button blends into the page so well I almost gave up trying to find it.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

That certainly helps a lot Jeff, Thanks.  :)

pigman

That blinking light at the top right was blinding me. :o   I put a piece of masking tape on the monitor and now everything is fine. :D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Larry

I hardly ever use the Knowledge Base cause I forget we have it.  I do use the search function a lot.  Could Knowledge Base results be displayed when you do a search?

I think the blinking light is really cool. 8) 8)  Course it don't take much to keep me occupied anymore. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

The knowledge base is for the most part  taken from the Forum content and exists there as well and will be returned by a search in its original form. The Knowledge base is just a different way to display some notable things in a different way. Something to virtually "thumb through" to find interesting tidbits. Forestry Forum popcorn. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Coon

The knowledge base has more info in there then I will ever know in my lifetime.  Great place to research any thoughts and questions I have.  More often than not I'll search in the knowledge base before I post a question in a topic, hence my few posts in the time I have been a member here.  ;)  It would be a very big disappointment to lose it.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Tom

Did you know that any member can nominate posts or other informtion for the Knowledge base?  It's a part of logging onto the Knowledge base.    The applications are researched by an admin to determine duplicates or to keep spam out, but a precursor effort by the one doing the application will sure save a lot of time.   To be in the knowledge base info doesn't have to be on the forum first, even though that is usually the case.  If you have a good magazine, you might just want to tell about it in the knowledge base.  If you want to retain credit for the entry, put your userid in the bottom of the entry.

shinnlinger

Hi,

I am a relatively new person to this site, and I dont mean to offend any one in any way shape or form.  If I wanted to I could have kept this to myself, but I am sharing it as a suggestion. 

For starters I didn't know about the knowledge base until I suggested that there should be one sort of like they have at the top of the timber framers forum (but weed out the "gee whiz thats cool!" comments that offer no "knowledge" ) when some one got a new sawmill in the milling section. 

Well I went to it then and I think it has one or two good entries with solid information , but it is not the give and take lets build on each other ideas type of thing that you might find if it was at the top of each respective forum.  I mean how many folks have asked "What should I look for when buying a sawmill?" type questions. 

My 2 cents.

I love this site(except the photo upload thing) , please dont take this defensively
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Furby

I think that's where this board comes in and should cover what you are talking about with out any trouble.
Maybe you can start a thread there along the lines you are thinking, in order to get the ball rolling. :)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/board,65.0.html

thecfarm

good idea shinnlinger.Yes,the photos does take time.Two reason for this that I know of.One is putting photos in a FF gallery.These pictures will always be there.You are not suppose to delete them.Once you post them in a FF album they belong to the FF.I have been on other forums and have got the dreaded red "X" where a picture should be.We like to compress pictures to a certain size for people with dail up.The compress pictures load much faster.I have dail up and I like it that way.I had a hard time at first with photos,but now I can breeze right through it without a problem.Unless I do something wrong.   ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

I am getting better at the photo thing and what you said makes perfect sense, but it is things like you have to pick which gallery you want to put the photo in or it wont work, but there is only one gallery you can put it in.  Why cant it default to your gallery?  Or why can a photo be 38 kb but too big when 44 kb is the max size allowed?  Why cant you just click on a photo and have it go in your post instead of copy and pasting?  These are minor pet peaves though in the big picture and I do apprecaite that.  I also dont like how it takes FOREVER to load a thread that has a video in it, but you cant watch it any way.  Can you select threads in such a way that it will disable video links?

And I am getting off trackI  was just trying to suggest the knowledge poll might get more use if it were more visible.  My suggestion is to stick it at the top of each forum and post rules, like noe "gee whiz" type comments, only comment on what experinces are or have been.
Shinnlinger

Tom

This has really left me wondering what the suggestion is all about.  The Knowledge base poll served its time in the open forum, was closed and moved to this archives area.  what is more important to me than being able to post in the poll forever is for folks to contribute to the knowledge base.  That's actually a place on the forum with interesting stuff and it can be found in Forum Extras at the top right corner of the screen.  It's purpose has never to have been a place to banter.  The Forum is for that.  The knowledge base is for recording finite statements.

Gee, golly whiz stuff is common on most forums and Ienjoy seeing the exhuberance of new owners on the Forestry Forum.  I guess I just don't understand.

SwampDonkey

Well I think there is confusion about what/where the knowledge base is, versus the regular forum boards. There are lots of areas to explore and we hope the 'Forum Extras' gets explored and in doing so you discover some little jems. Don't forget the little toolbox either. ;D

shinnlinger

Tom,

To clarify my suggestion, I was thinking that the hi lit blue threads which are always at the top of the timber frame forum and others, be used like the knowledge base(or perhaps a different color right under/above those).  Post rules to keep it concise and meaninful and that  only comments that go in it are from a posters first hand experience, things they know for certain to work or not work and then post topics in the different forums like How do you get a chainsaw running?"  What should one consider before buying a portable sawmill?  WHen should I put out my sap buckets?  That kind of thing and let people comment on what has worked /not worked for them.  

I have seen the above questions (well maybe not the sap one) answered over and over again in different threads, but they are not that easy to search and find, you have to wade through alot of fluff to get to the nuggets of knowledge.  You could come up with some topic starters for it and take a poll as to what folks would like to see asked.

Hope that clears up my idea a bit, I won't be offended if it doesn't happen.
Shinnlinger