iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carlton file o plate

Started by Old_Hickory, August 21, 2008, 04:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old_Hickory

anyone have any experience with these,Just looking for a good guide to file rakers
gotta love those XP saws

timberfaller390

I always just hit them 2 or 3 licks every other time I sharpened the chain.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Old_Hickory

thank you timberfaller  are there anything you go by as to when
gotta love those XP saws

beenthere

I'd suggest using a guide, and then your rakers will be in direct proportion to your filed teeth.
For some, '2 or 3 licks' means one thing, and something completly different to others.

After using a guide for awhile, you may find yourself switching to the "2 or 3" licks, and know just what you can expect.

Just a thought... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old_Hickory

thank you beenthere  what type guide
gotta love those XP saws

beenthere

Old_Hickory
I presently use the guide that comes attached to the Husky roller guide, as shown.
Appears to be similar to the Carlton file-o-plate.  Has a slot for hardwood or softwood settings and the flat file removes the raker height that projects through the slot. Can't go too deep, or contact the sharpended tooth with the flat file. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old_Hickory

gotta love those XP saws

beenthere

Bailey's (sponsor on left column) has the Carlton file-o-plate (item #65986) and another universal file guide (item #15225).

I didn't see the Husky roller guide, but did picked mine up at a local Husky dealer. I do like the roller feature as well.
south central Wisconsin

Old_Hickory

i do also I had looked at Baileys and did'nt see them
gotta love those XP saws

Bro. Noble

I have used a 'file-o-plate' for almost 40 years.  They are a little slower than some of the other guides because you have to turn them over foevery other tooth and fit the drag into the hole.  The advantages are they let you file each drag so that each individual tooth removes the same amount of wood.  The drag is sloped rather than flat on top,  and you have a choice of drag height for soft or hardwood.  They are probably the simplest and cheapest guides that you can buy.  They don't last forever,  however.  I finally filed my first one in two,  but I'm afraid the second one is going to outlast me :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Old_Hickory

thank you Noble was it the Carlton
gotta love those XP saws

Cut4fun

These work for me  http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15225&catID=274
I also really like the single gauge one from Madsen's and Oregon the best.
I have a brand new Carlton File -o- Plate in 375 I have never tried. 

Here is some  reading on rakers  http://www.madsens1.com/bnc%20depth%20gauge.htm

Now if you got extra money just burning a hole in your pocket for raker's, I have seen one of these in action.  http://www.madsens1.com/sil%20hdg6.htm

Corley5

I've used a File O Plate for years and still carry one in my wallet even though I've been using a grinder for a several years.  I never used it as a raker gauge only to get the proper gullet and angle on the cutter. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bro. Noble

milking and logging and sawing and milking

olyman

for the price of the carlton plate---cant beat em--they work great---

Don K

I recently ordered two of the file guides that beenthere posted. For the life of me I can't remember who I ordered from. I yahoo'd chainsaw roller guide or something similar I think or either I sent for a catalog from a link somebody posted on here for logging winches. They are a logging supply house.

I bought one of those at Moultrie last year on WDH's advice and it is the ticket. I found them a decided to order a coupla extra for hard times. I will try to find my source and post later.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Old_Hickory

gotta love those XP saws

SawTroll

Quote from: Old_Hickory on August 21, 2008, 07:20:18 PM
where do you get those

Most often at a Husky or Jonsered dealer - make sure you get the right one for your chain.

They are made for different models of Oregon chain, so they may not fit all other chain
Information collector.

RSteiner

I tried using the Carlton file plate once or twice years ago without much luck, turns out I just didn't understand how to properly sharpen a chain then.

I have been using an Oregon raker gauge that sets on the top of the tooth and lets the raker protrude through the slot.  A couple of passes with a flat file and its done.  I find that every twoo ro three sharpenings is about the right time to take down the rakers again.

A friend didn't have a raker gauge and tried to take them down by eye and ended up taking them down too much.  The chain after that tried to take too much of a bite which made it grab and jump especially when trying to bore cut.

Randy
Randy

Don K

I believe I ordered the roller file guide from a Labonville catalog I sent for.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Old_Hickory

i just went and picked up my 346 XP  i asked my dealer and he recommended the
Husqvarna Sharpforce so i got one.Its like a guide that has to files in it a round & square,it is supposed to keep rakers filed as you sharpen cutters
gotta love those XP saws

Cut4fun

Sounds like the Pferd made ones Baileys sells. Some people like them some dont. Give feed back on your use, because I have a friend that cant hand file for crappola even after showing him throughly and having him do rakers after sharpening.
He left the saw with me and she was ready to cut firewood shortly after. I dont see what he is doing wrong but he screws something up.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17049&catID=272

Old_Hickory

yes it says made by Pferd on it,its just Husky orange with H emblem
gotta love those XP saws

Dale Hatfield

The sharp forve works great on vangurd chain.
I always use a file plate a single tooth plate. The ones that span over 3 theeth dont cut it for me.
the roller guides work as well but as the rubber roller wears then you will be  too deep and under the tooth.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Thank You Sponsors!