iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pricing

Started by Oldsawdust, November 04, 2008, 11:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldsawdust

I get .35 b/ft-2xs and .50 b/ft-1xs custom sawing, how does this price compare to others? 8) ps they provide the logs. GO VOTE!! 8) 8) 8)
Help-I'am new at this

John Bartley

I won't saw by the foot. When you saw by the foot, there's no motivation for the customer to do anything to help you. There's no incentive for them to have decent logs or to have them properly piled, clean and limbed. When you charge by the hour, the customer can only benefit by doing all those things and then both the customer and the sawyer get a fair deal.

I charge $75/hr for retail type customers (not farmers or contractors or folks who might give a referral) I give a 20%discount for farmers etc. I don't (yet) charge for travel or setup, but I also don't saw full time for a living (I'm sort of retired), so I can afford to screen my customers and I only cut where I can make a decent buck. Sounds a bit mercenary??? Yup, it is, and I wish I'd been more mercenary when I started my last business 18 years ago. I'd have retired sooner...

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

jdtuttle

I charge .30 BF if they supply an offbearer, .35 if I have to off load. Most guys charge .25 BF around here. With decent logs I average $80.00 an hour minus blades, gas, oil, wear & tear. I also charge $10.00 if I hit metal and $30.00 if I ruin a blade on junk. I usually throw in a few extra BF at no charge if their good customers. (attitude)
Jim
Have a great day

backwoods sawyer

I charge $.30 bft for softwoods and $60.00 an hour for hardwoods, log handling, chainsaw work ect. I also charge $1.00 a mile one way, and for damaged saws. Keep your billing simple and don't load the customer down with a lot of petty-hidden fees. Each customer gets a discount of some sort, like no mileage charge, extra bft, ect. Check with local sawyers and charge the same rate as they do.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!