iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Another pic of things here.

Started by biziedizie, September 05, 2003, 12:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biziedizie

These big redwoods line our driveway, very pretty trees.

biziedizie

This is our Alpaca, he's kinda cute.

Steve

Minnesota_boy

Nice pictures!  :)

How far north will the redwoods grow?  I was under the impression that they were limited to coastal areas of California and southern Oregon.  Maybe i should plant some here???
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Norm

That's a nice looking place ya got there Biz, I like your deck.

Fla._Deadheader

What's the big buildings??? You raising fowl???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Frank_Pender

He Biz, are those trees Sequoia as opposed to West Coast Redwood? I have about 5,000 bd ft of them in my log deck, at this time.    8)  It makes for a very pretty paneling for walls and ceilings. Speaking of deck, I sure like your bench and table.
Frank Pender

biziedizie

Minnesota_boy from what I know about these trees there the only California redwoods in Canada. Got some better pics, gonna get them developed today.

Norm_F I got some pics of the table with finish on it. Will try to post them today. If anyone is wondering why the table is so low it's cause my kid is short. ;D

Fla them are old chicken barns, this used to be one of the biggest egg farms in B.C till the interest rates and a viruse killed things.

Frank_Pender the treess are Calafornia redwoods and were planted about 140 years ago.

Steve

Tillaway

Look like Sequoia from the shape.  Coastal Redwood have a different profile.

Both are commonly called Redwood here too.  Sequoia would tollerate the cold better and grows real well off site.  It may be a bit too cold for Coastal Redwood to grow there, but don't know for sure.

Nice place Steve.  I like the bench and table. 8)
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

biziedizie

Does anyone have a pic of Coastal redwoods???  I would like to see a pic and compare.

I took some better pics of the trees and I was going to get them developed today but the pic joint is closed.

Tillaway me thinks you might be right as we do get some cold spells here at times.

Steve

biziedizie

Well I got some better pics developed of the trees and the finished table and also some small projects that I'm working on. :)
  Sent the scanner out yesterday to my puter buddy and he's gonna fix it for free if it's fixable. 8)
  If not I will scan pics at some point on his during the day. :)
  This pic thing and posting seems to be a bit of work for me but on the internet it sure does help everyone including me if we can see things. :)

Steve

Patty

Devon is a real CUTEY.  ;)

The trees are huge. Do you need permission to cut even if they are dead? What other option would they have for a dead tree? I'm just curious that's all.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Tom

That is the red tape and Bureaucracy that we are trying to keep from being inundated with here.  If the trees are on your private property and there has been no historical reason to protect them then you should be able to make the judgment of their care without Government intervention.

Tillaway

They really look like Sequoia to me, would need a close up of the twigs and needles to be positive.  Thats just a little one, wait till they get about 10 or 12 feet in diameter.  I have worked in second growth Coastal Redwood that are about six foot in diameter and 70 odd years old and over 200' tall.  The Sequoia will grow fast as well but not like that.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

biziedizie

Patty the trees are heratige trees and I need special permission to drop them. ;D There is one that's dead but I would assume that the red tape that I would have to go through would be a pain in the butt.
  I think that the dead tree will fall over and kill somene before I get all the papers signed to give me permission to saw it.

Tilaway I think you're right about the trees being Sequoia, I did a google search and from what I could find these trees fit in well with the climate here.

Steve

RMay

biziedizie what is a heratige tree , Do you have to get permission to cut any tree on your farm . ???
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

biziedizie

RMay a heritage tree around here is a tree that you own but the goverment comes along and wants half of the tree so you won't cut them down. They divide the trees right down the middle and say hey buddy you own that half and we own this half. They then put up a plaque saying they are the best for saving the trees but when it comes to them helping out with saving the trees from the bug that they have they just walk away.
  There is one tree that is for sure dead and me thinks they would rather see it fall over and kill someone walking along the streeet then seeing me make it into a whack of lumber.

Steve

RMay

Steve I would be sure there plaqne was in good shape & could be seen form the street  ::) P.S. are you in town
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

biziedizie

RMay yeppers I'm in town, well kinda on the outskirts. We are on a farm.

Steve

redpowerd

wasnt there a post on heritage trees?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

IndyIan

biziedizie,
You've got a great place there.  How is your Alpaca?  Are they friendly, easy to care for?   They remind me of an animal from a Dr. Seuss book. :)  

They are some big trees you've got, I imagine since the one is dead you shouldn't have to much trouble getting permission to take it down.  You could say something about the dead one hosting pests that might injure the live trees... ;D  
Probably you might have to plant another in its place but I'm sure you would do that anyways.

Good luck with it,
Ian

biziedizie

Hi Ian where we live is pretty nice but big development is right around the corner :o This was a nice area till the city people started moving here, now it seems that ya gotta lock your doors as noboby knows each other ::)

The Alpaca is a very freindly animal and are very easy to look after :) This guy protects the sheep and if a coyote comes on the property the Alpaca rounds up the sheep and leads them to the barn. Then he comes back out and makes these strange sounds and chases after the coyote. Very cool to watch.

The dead tree shouldn't be a problem but with all the red tape I sometimes wonder if I should follow up on getting permission ::) :P Sure like to drop one just to see what it looks like on the inside ;D Might have to get me a swing mill to slice these suckers up ;D

Steve

Thank You Sponsors!