iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help Needed Re:Wood Species

Started by campy, October 19, 2010, 06:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 21, 2010, 03:17:20 AM
Gray birch are very warty and glandular on the fine branches, from which resin exudes.

Bark is very reliable for your region or state. Our sugar maple bark is much smoother here in farming country than it is out in the Igneous-Sediment soils in Deersdale. Sometimes challenging to separate from red maple.

The red maples down here can be quite a bit different from the ones I grew up with in Maine. Even the leaves look quite a bit different.

But beech is beech is beech.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

I have yellow birch up here, that aren't even golden yellow on the but log, no fine peeling  bark strips. Comes off the tree in plates, you could almost make shingles from (a bit of an exaggeration there). ;D

Here's a chunk of bark that was naturally shed off the trunk. I picked it up one fall.

Looks like this on the inside.

Here's the but end of the tree. Not a dead limb on it. 25 inch dbh.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

We had yellow birch in Maine, but the bark did not look quite like that. It was more peely. The bark you show there resembles some of the river birches that grow naturally around here (not the landscaping trees). Maybe it looks more like you show as it matures and most of the ones I saw were not that mature.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

The top limbs are golden yellow, it's just that if you had the log sections your golden yellow is gone. Some will call it silver birch, but it's just very old and big yellow birch. Some of our yellow birch is very pronounced pink in the wood and substituted for cherry. Veneer buyers don't kick on large percentage of heart in birch. I've seen white birch veneer go for just as much as yellow birch at Columbia, over $2000/mbf at it's height before the Forestry melt down in 2005. Here is the price after 2005, Dec 2008.

Old price list attached. I think most those markets have vanished the last couple of years. I don't see much activity with hardwood at the marketing board wood yard other than pulp now. One land owner was told a while back that they aren't excepting any veneer and logs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

weisyboy

what you have there is beenatree.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

campy

My 92 year old neighbor who is a master woodworker came over and ID'd the wood as Pecan.

It just looks a lot different from the Shaggy Bark Hickory I have been cutting.

Thanks all who helped me solve the mystery.

Thank You Sponsors!