iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Distance between standards???

Started by Ironwood, December 27, 2010, 06:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I am welding pockets for standards and it looks like a 10' log will fit if the knuckleboom is behind the cab, if at the rear it will fit a 12'er, sooooo any input on distance between standards? any minimum, maxium?

Thanks for input.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

bill m

What is the shortest piece of wood you would ever put on your truck? What ever that is make your stakes 12 to 18 inches closer.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ironwood

Yeah, that is one thought. I suppose a 6' long walnut crotch if it where BIG in diameter would be about it. I thought of that as well.

I am trying to keep the number to three on each side, and the "shortest length" argument seems to be the deciding factor. I guess as long as there are two each side contacting the log (at a reasonable distance) then that is enough. After reading the other post on "Transporting logs safely", I found no real specs in the paragraphs posted from the DOT text.

I am literally, welding this as we "speak" and needed some input. HEY, it is cold and windy out there for welding!!! I have had only one "fire" on the front of my insulated coveralls that I did not catch immeadiately.  :o Cant see the flames thru my welding helmet and burning glasses, BUT it does smell funny at that is when I usually start looking for burning clothing.  :D

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

tlandrum

standards are generally about 7ft in between so that the loader forks will clear
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Banjo picker

I wielded my uprights to another piece of square tubing then wielded it to a section of angle iron...drilled holes in the angle iron and the truck bed..I have them set for about 7 ft..to easily support a tie log...but they can be moved farther apart to haul pulp wood...there are two bolts in each angle..I have been just sliding them farther apart and used one bolt in each...I should drill the other four holes... :-[  and will when I can get just a little caught up..

That pic has already been posted somewhere, but o well I haven't seen any rules against using one twice.

Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

paul case

your truck may be related to mine. 7' works well for me too.
tim,
do you dump those logs off with the hoist on your truck?
pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

captain_crunch

I would think 7 ft would work shorter log could be loaded on cradle of longer logs long at they can't fall thru and one Stake (standard) captures one end or other should be ok. Best to have enough gap as so they can't roll but not fall thru 
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Banjo picker

Paul I have dumped a few loads of slabs..that folks wanted delivered, but not logs...I am going to put some gussets on the front and back of the uprights so I would feel more comfortable dumping the slabs....I have a Prentice that I unload at the mill with...I don't need any extra dirt or gravel imbeded for the saw to find...

Those trucks look like they may be at least first cousins... :D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!