iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why do we fix these things?

Started by Saw Dr., January 27, 2011, 01:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saw Dr.

I was discussing this with another member.  Why do we do this?  Most of the oldies I get going and then just set them on a shelf.  I must be nuts, as I have more saws than trees on my property.

Case in point:  I get distracted by a shiny object the other day.  I got a freebie Poulan 2000 that a guy was going to throw away.  Very nice saw cosmetically, but non running.  I have probably 50 projects in my shop, most of which can earn me money.  So what do I do but start jacking around with that stupid little Poulan?  Turns out that the fuel line is not broken, it has good spark, and compression feels strong.  So I pulled the carb and cleaned it out.  Couple of pulls, and it is running like a champ.  I notice the starter cord is frayed, so I make a mental note that I'll be changing that.  I go to the wood pile to do a few test cuts and tune it in.  Lo and behold, the chain locks up due to no lubrication.  So I spend the ENTIRE rest of the day pizzing around with the oiler on a saw that cost $80 new.  Those things will be lucky to fetch $50 on CL here in running order.  Something about it not working right just has me keep going until I win.  So anyway, the new oiler check valves arrived in at the dealer yesterday, and I still do not have an oiling 2000.  Once it is fixed, then what will I do?  Sell it for $45 on CL when I have $200 worth of time into it?

So anyway, why do we bother?  Your turn to tell a story.  Extra points if it is actually true.

I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

beenthere

I would guess that you fix 'em because you can, and are good at it........and getting an old saw running (that someone else cannot) is proof to yourself that you are as good as you are. Nothing wrong with that. Kinda a great feeling to know that the old beater will run.
Bask in the skill that not many have under their belt.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

Probably for the same reason that people restore old cars :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

lumberjack48

You tell me Saw Dr., I'm always looking for old saws,ect, Doc my hands don't work, why would i get something i have to fix.[ The wife gets mad at me ]
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

:D It's just something some of do simpley because we can if for no other reason .

There's times though you just have to walk away because the rascals can get the best of anybody at times .Now I've never been whipped by one yet but they've beat me up pretty bad .I always win though . ;)

Al_Smith

Quote from: Saw Dr. on January 27, 2011, 01:48:34 PM
      Your turn to tell a story.  Extra points if it is actually true.

Story eh? Probabley the most challange was making a cast iron cylinder sleeve  for a 125 Mac . I've got a Mall model 12 in the shed though that might take the cake as it is sparkless but it's not stuck which is a good thing .

In addition a Mac super 44 that Dozer Dan sent me stuck tighter than a bulls butt in fly time . That ones going to be a vintage hotty stuck in a 250 frame work when I get around to it . I dislike right hand start saws with a passion .

weimedog

Because its fun..they are mechanical puzzles that actually help on the farm! That's my story...stickin to it! I have no idea why actually. I just like the goofy things...
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Spike60

Guys, it's just never a good idea to keep track of the time you spend working on old saws.  :)  At the store of course, the labor clock is ticking. At the workshop at home, I just count the beers.

To me it's a relaxing hobby. I enjoy taking a dead saw and bringing it back to life. But I only do it with saws that I can or will actually use. So, I don't bother with things like those little Poulans and real old saws that I'd never take out and run.

I'll probably be out there tonight tinkering on a couple projects.  8)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

If it weren't for the fact my garage is unheated I'd be at it too . I kind of loose my enthusiasm during winter .

I somehow doubt Mrs Smith would approve of me tinkering with a greasey old saw on the kitchen table .Not good . :D

Maine372

Quote from: lumberjack48 on January 27, 2011, 02:17:01 PM
You tell me Saw Dr., I'm always looking for old saws,ect, Doc my hands don't work, why would i get something i have to fix.[ The wife gets mad at me ]

so if you dont mind my asking, how do you type your posts?

Bandmill Bandit

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

SwampDonkey

I fix'm to save the outgoing cash for someone else to do it, in order to bring in more cash in my pocket the end of the week. :D Any idle ones are spares or parts, because they still make my model brush saw since the mid 90's.  8)

When you get a garage full of older working saws, you gonna start making your fortunes? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Now the 64 thousand dollar question Mr Donkey .Do you actually own a chainsaw or just a fleet of those weedwackers ? Inquisitive minds want to know . ;)

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D I am intrigued by stuff that doesn't work. There is a reason and I want to find it. Saws are a cheap hobby and easy relatively speaking to keep under wraps from the missus who thinks I am a little wonky. O.K I am but that's another story altogether. She really put her foot down when I expressed interest in a really neat old truck. ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

:D My dear sweet wife bless her heart made some snied comment about my saws once .My reply was to her "Honey sometimes the woman in you really comes out "

weimedog

The real answer....we cut a lot of wood, clearing trail, clearing fence lines, fire wood to heat with, raw materials to fix the barns & build things like stalls..and sell timber from time to time. We have over 100 acres of hardwood..and another 160 or so of farm fields in various stages of development...so...if we have to do this why not make it fun as well?

I'm an old clutch head from way back and my motorcycle riding days are numbers, so saws have filled the gap for mechanical things that motorcycles used to ....and I'm also an ex engineer with an interest in history, especially relative to manufacturing. All this blended together and saws ends up being the venue those interests are expressed. That's really it..and then when we started doing GTG's, the social aspect became yet another reason to stay with saws vs. go back to racing. Have developed some good friends and this one of those things we can do...sort of like going for a trail ride with friends on dirt bikes, we have these GTG' s and run saws. Same thing..only at the end of the day there is at least firewood where with the trail ride you just spend a day going no where fast!

So every time My wife gives me crap about yet another saw...I just ask her does she like having a warm house when its -10 outside? Do you like those stall the horses are in? You want beams to fix the barn? Fence posts? It goes pretty quick to silence. Where went I wanted to go ride....there was no logic to rationalize that hobby! (Well...maybe the physical stuff but we won't go there)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

M.Darnell

For me it started as a need, I could not afford a new saw so I had to find and fix what I could afford.  Now it is mostly mostly just my love of old stuff, And wanting something to tinker with. As for the wife I only have 3 saws right now so she don't complain yet.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 27, 2011, 10:28:37 PM
Now the 64 thousand dollar question Mr Donkey .Do you actually own a chainsaw or just a fleet of those weedwackers ? Inquisitive minds want to know . ;)

Two 53 cc saws I got new and never paid a dime for, the best kind.  :D ;D

Hey, a 56 cc clearing saw is a step above a weed eater. Plus is pays to operate one, the best part. Weed whacking around the yard, don't pay quite so good. :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I think I've had a fascination with 2 cycle engines since I saw my first chainsaw as a little boy .The go karts were when I was a teenager and 2 cycle karting was in its' glory days .

The actual small time collection of the things was spured on by a Lombard Commango I found at a garage sale for 25 bucks and I had it running a half hour after I got it home .

So a few years go by and I attended a GTG and saw how well tuned modifed saws ran and said to myself ,self you are just as bright as anybody and you can do that too .Sure enough with a little experimentation I found I could  indeed . ;D

Now the saws as a rule are not shelf queens except for a couple of gear drives .In addition I maintain as time allows the saws and equipment for two tree service companys so I get more than enough time turning a wrench .By trade I'm an electrician but my true love is a tool and die makers' type work .

weimedog

Have to say 2 strokes have also been an long time interest. The racing motorcycles and most of the better off road trail bikes were all two strokes. AND the interest in two strokes also wandered off in to Mercury Out Boards ...spent a bunch of years taking old mercury's and bringing them back to life...much as I now do with old saws. I lived on a river then...moved to a lake...and that hobby died when I moved out to Colorado! An irrigated desert. Back to old motorcycles out there and focused on old Bultaco's and Husqvarna's, those racing icons for my earlt years when I couldn't afford them..then we moved back here. And with the farm and tree's the interest has manifested itself in saws...(Any one interested in a bunch of old 4 cylinder Mercury stuff? MK58A era Mags, parts, and a power head etc? Will trade for saw stuff!)

Saw Dr.

Quote from: weimedog on January 28, 2011, 12:28:31 AM
The real answer....we cut a lot of wood, clearing trail, clearing fence lines, fire wood to heat with, raw materials to fix the barns & build things like stalls..and sell timber from time to time. We have over 100 acres of hardwood..and another 160 or so of farm fields in various stages of development...so...if we have to do this why not make it fun as well?

I'm an old clutch head from way back and my motorcycle riding days are numbers, so saws have filled the gap for mechanical things that motorcycles used to ....and I'm also an ex engineer with an interest in history, especially relative to manufacturing. All this blended together and saws ends up being the venue those interests are expressed. That's really it..and then when we started doing GTG's, the social aspect became yet another reason to stay with saws vs. go back to racing. Have developed some good friends and this one of those things we can do...sort of like going for a trail ride with friends on dirt bikes, we have these GTG' s and run saws. Same thing..only at the end of the day there is at least firewood where with the trail ride you just spend a day going no where fast!

So every time My wife gives me crap about yet another saw...I just ask her does she like having a warm house when its -10 outside? Do you like those stall the horses are in? You want beams to fix the barn? Fence posts? It goes pretty quick to silence. Where went I wanted to go ride....there was no logic to rationalize that hobby! (Well...maybe the physical stuff but we won't go there)

I used to work on motorcycles as a mechanic while I worked my way through college.  Interesting how it worked out, as I doubt very many (if any) folks do that.  Once I got out of school, I started working on airplanes for a living and enjoyed (almost) every minute of it.  Winds of change led me in a different direction, and I ended up with a new house and a large box of tools collecting dust.  With two little girls, it didn't seem fair to spend alot of time with the motorcycles.  I had a false-start at restoring a Honda CBX, and then that fizzled out.  Time for riding them was at an all time low, so I took the plates off my beloved 900 Kawasaki.  Lo and behold, one of my neighbors trash-picked a pair of Stihl saws that were both non-runners.  He brought them over knowing that I could probably get them going.  Deal was that I give him one runner back, and keep the other for myself.  That worked out pretty well and I started sniffing around craigslist for saws.  Another neighbor came by shortly after with three non-runners.  That pretty much sealed the deal for me. 
So my short answer is this:  I must work on things or I will implode.  Airplanes and motorcycles take up too much space and $$$.  Saws are cheaper, and easier to store or sell.  Plus it is fun playing with something that you can hold wide open for several minutes and not get a ticket or get killed.  Just the gearhead in me I guess.  I must be a sadist, as I enjoy saving a trashed chain almost as much as rebuilding a powerhead.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

gloud

I see a lot of stories like mine here .
Former MotoX racer (always did my own wrenching. ) Can't ride anymore due to multiple injuries but have worked myself back to being able to Cut and do cordwood again so we are burning wood again.
(had to stop for a few years after my spinal fusion)  And I got into rebuilding saws as a cheap way to get my Stihls back up and running.   Been picking up saws with problems and fixing them and selling to make a few bucks to pay for upgrades to my saws.
Glenn

Stihl 009l,025, 026
Homelite 360 auto
Homemade splitter
Jotul 118 stove

Jims small husky

Can't say I've restored a lot if saws but I just hate to see repairable stuff wasted. There's so much well made solid old stuff, machinery, that's ridiculously expensive to repair even if you can find parts but throwing it in the trash just seems so wrong. One of my first cars was an old chevy sitting on blocks in some guys yard my Dad and I towed home. A week and $20 later away I drove in it proud as could be. I loved that old heap far more than it was worth cause I'd given it life again I guess. Same with everything else that comes back to life at my hands. More satisfaction than buying the newest and best shiny whatever. Those shiny new whatevers sometimes run great with no more trouble than pulling the rope or throwing the switch  though. Still wish I'd finished that '36 Ariel square four.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Jims small husky on January 28, 2011, 06:00:32 PM
   Still wish I'd finished that '36 Ariel square four.
Rare as a hens' tooth .I've seen one in my life time .

Jims small husky

Re "36 sq.4, Al I'm old so I've seen a few. Square fours that is, not "36s. Only one of them.They were scarce not rare when I was a kid. Last one built in '58. 2 of my riding buddies had them, a '54 and a '56 I think, and I wrenched on them some. Had a weird head design, there were a number of studs, about 1/4" diameter,  maybe 12 or so? attached to the head which were stuck down through the top flange of the barrel and then nuts were slid in between the fins on the barrel and tightened with an open end wrench. Very exacting work to get a decent torque and of course those back cylinders got pretty hot so if the torque wasn't right the head gasket blew. Not a screamingly powerful bike but fairly strong and very smooth and a beautiful sound with a pair of open megaphones. They'd do a respectable wheelie too. The '36 was siezed up when I got it, leaning against the wall in an old chicken coop (really). It's last use had been as a dirt bike if you can imagine that. We didn't have Husky's then so anything with 2 wheels might become the dirt bike de jure, imagine opposite lock on a cushman eagle. I only fiddled with it and got distracted by the interests of a fool boy and then drafted so I sold it. Would have made a very classy ride, springer front end and plunger rear, looked like a hard tail with a short spring arrangement at the axle end. Not very good suspension but better than nothing. Kind of fun to go on about a thing I unloaded nearly half a century ago. As some have said, saws are cheaper and don't get me in as much trouble, Jim.   

Thank You Sponsors!