The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Why do we fix these things?  (Read 5556 times)

Offline Saw Dr.

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Why do we fix these things?
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 08:51:25 AM »
The real answer....we cut a lot of wood, clearing trail, clearing fence lines, fire wood to heat with, raw materials to fix the barns & build things like stalls..and sell timber from time to time. We have over 100 acres of hardwood..and another 160 or so of farm fields in various stages of development...so...if we have to do this why not make it fun as well?

I'm an old clutch head from way back and my motorcycle riding days are numbers, so saws have filled the gap for mechanical things that motorcycles used to ....and I'm also an ex engineer with an interest in history, especially relative to manufacturing. All this blended together and saws ends up being the venue those interests are expressed. That's really it..and then when we started doing GTG's, the social aspect became yet another reason to stay with saws vs. go back to racing. Have developed some good friends and this one of those things we can do...sort of like going for a trail ride with friends on dirt bikes, we have these GTG' s and run saws. Same thing..only at the end of the day there is at least firewood where with the trail ride you just spend a day going no where fast!

So every time My wife gives me crap about yet another saw...I just ask her does she like having a warm house when its -10 outside? Do you like those stall the horses are in? You want beams to fix the barn? Fence posts? It goes pretty quick to silence. Where went I wanted to go ride....there was no logic to rationalize that hobby! (Well...maybe the physical stuff but we won't go there)

I used to work on motorcycles as a mechanic while I worked my way through college.  Interesting how it worked out, as I doubt very many (if any) folks do that.  Once I got out of school, I started working on airplanes for a living and enjoyed (almost) every minute of it.  Winds of change led me in a different direction, and I ended up with a new house and a large box of tools collecting dust.  With two little girls, it didn't seem fair to spend alot of time with the motorcycles.  I had a false-start at restoring a Honda CBX, and then that fizzled out.  Time for riding them was at an all time low, so I took the plates off my beloved 900 Kawasaki.  Lo and behold, one of my neighbors trash-picked a pair of Stihl saws that were both non-runners.  He brought them over knowing that I could probably get them going.  Deal was that I give him one runner back, and keep the other for myself.  That worked out pretty well and I started sniffing around craigslist for saws.  Another neighbor came by shortly after with three non-runners.  That pretty much sealed the deal for me. 
So my short answer is this:  I must work on things or I will implode.  Airplanes and motorcycles take up too much space and $$$.  Saws are cheaper, and easier to store or sell.  Plus it is fun playing with something that you can hold wide open for several minutes and not get a ticket or get killed.  Just the gearhead in me I guess.  I must be a sadist, as I enjoy saving a trashed chain almost as much as rebuilding a powerhead.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

Offline gloud

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »
I see a lot of stories like mine here .
Former MotoX racer (always did my own wrenching. ) Can't ride anymore due to multiple injuries but have worked myself back to being able to Cut and do cordwood again so we are burning wood again.
(had to stop for a few years after my spinal fusion)  And I got into rebuilding saws as a cheap way to get my Stihls back up and running.   Been picking up saws with problems and fixing them and selling to make a few bucks to pay for upgrades to my saws.
Glenn

Stihl 009l,025, 026
Homelite 360 auto
Homemade splitter
Jotul 118 stove

Offline Jims small husky

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 06:00:32 PM »
Can't say I've restored a lot if saws but I just hate to see repairable stuff wasted. There's so much well made solid old stuff, machinery, that's ridiculously expensive to repair even if you can find parts but throwing it in the trash just seems so wrong. One of my first cars was an old chevy sitting on blocks in some guys yard my Dad and I towed home. A week and $20 later away I drove in it proud as could be. I loved that old heap far more than it was worth cause I'd given it life again I guess. Same with everything else that comes back to life at my hands. More satisfaction than buying the newest and best shiny whatever. Those shiny new whatevers sometimes run great with no more trouble than pulling the rope or throwing the switch  though. Still wish I'd finished that '36 Ariel square four.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 06:05:40 PM »
   Still wish I'd finished that '36 Ariel square four.
Rare as a hens' tooth .I've seen one in my life time .

Offline Jims small husky

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 02:23:18 AM »
  Re "36 sq.4, Al I'm old so I've seen a few. Square fours that is, not "36s. Only one of them.They were scarce not rare when I was a kid. Last one built in '58. 2 of my riding buddies had them, a '54 and a '56 I think, and I wrenched on them some. Had a weird head design, there were a number of studs, about 1/4" diameter,  maybe 12 or so? attached to the head which were stuck down through the top flange of the barrel and then nuts were slid in between the fins on the barrel and tightened with an open end wrench. Very exacting work to get a decent torque and of course those back cylinders got pretty hot so if the torque wasn't right the head gasket blew. Not a screamingly powerful bike but fairly strong and very smooth and a beautiful sound with a pair of open megaphones. They'd do a respectable wheelie too. The '36 was siezed up when I got it, leaning against the wall in an old chicken coop (really). It's last use had been as a dirt bike if you can imagine that. We didn't have Husky's then so anything with 2 wheels might become the dirt bike de jure, imagine opposite lock on a cushman eagle. I only fiddled with it and got distracted by the interests of a fool boy and then drafted so I sold it. Would have made a very classy ride, springer front end and plunger rear, looked like a hard tail with a short spring arrangement at the axle end. Not very good suspension but better than nothing. Kind of fun to go on about a thing I unloaded nearly half a century ago. As some have said, saws are cheaper and don't get me in as much trouble, Jim.   

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 05:11:37 AM »
 :D Well Jim I'm no spring chicken either .No Ariels here but a couple of Indians not to count 3-4 Harleys and a widow maker chopper . 8)

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 08:02:39 AM »
Teenage Weime & the two strokes that moved me at that time!

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 09:02:29 AM »
No wonder some of you guys have old battle scars. My brother was in the same group, jumping snow mobiles and bikes (Quads and Motorbikes). But, apparently had no contribution to his bad back problems.  ::) ::)
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 06:50:15 PM »
No wonder some of you guys have old battle scars.
:D  Yep some of us,shall we say "vintage " bikers have a few nicks and dings on our persons .I've had a case of asphault fever myself a time or two . ;)

Offline gloud

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 06:27:23 AM »
I raced a 81 Maico 490 when I was in Berlin Germany while in the Army.  I got some pics somewhere. (I will have to scan them and post)  But I paid for it LOL..
Glenn

Stihl 009l,025, 026
Homelite 360 auto
Homemade splitter
Jotul 118 stove

Offline sharkey

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 05:15:03 PM »
I think its about the high we get completing a challenge, like when it roars to life.  Just something about an engine firing after being rebuilt.  I know that always makes me feel better or at least I forget about the parts cost for a little bit!

When I was a kid back in the 60's one of my friends Dads had a large machine shop.  His Dad was into radio controled cars which were new at this time and sold engine and chassis parts through hobby catalogs.  Together we could make almost anything in that shop whether it be for guns, cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles or chainsaws.  I learned alot there.       

Offline Captain

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 07:46:47 PM »
I put two on the bench last night.  A nice looking Poulan 25 and a late 80s Husky 55.  I don't know why either.  I usually end up selling them very cheaply to needy friends.

Captain

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2011, 10:13:47 PM »
If that Poulan is an S-25  it's a keeper .Until Stihl came out with the 020T that was "the " trim saw .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Things that make me mill happy, and things that don't!

Started by Nate Surveyor on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 07:33:30 PM
by Engineer
xx
Is it just me or are things a little different?

Started by Pete J on General Board

27 Replies
Last post December 08, 2004, 03:03:09 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
2 things

Started by petefrom bearswamp on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

10 Replies
Last post April 20, 2018, 09:47:37 PM
by Magicman
xx
If things go right

Started by Quartlow on General Board

14 Replies
Last post May 11, 2006, 04:36:52 PM
by Quartlow