iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bark on, Bark Off?

Started by OlJarhead, February 18, 2011, 03:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

So I've read different folks (countryplans forum) talking about debarking logs before milling, but I've not bothered to do that with the CSM.

Now I have an LT10 and am getting ready to start milling and this question came up -- so, gang, does it matter?  Should I not mill with the bark on?
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

ely

if the bark is loose on a dry log and easy to scrape off i use a flat hoe to knock the bark off, if its  tight on the log i dont worry with it. the only reasons i take the bark off is to get rid of any dirt or grit that may be imbedded into the bark. it prolongs the sharpness of the bands.

isawlogs

Only reason to take the bark off is one of a few.

• If the bark is dirty, better to try and clean it up before sawing , if you can't, try to come out of the dirty part with the blade, that way the edge will last longer.
  • If the bark is loose , I like to take it off as to not have a peice of it fall on the bonks while turning it and get forgotten there and saw.. makes for unparralel faces on a cant
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sigidi

For me with my Lucas, I tend to only take bark off if it's full of dirt, sand I'm not so bothered about, it does tend to wear the blade down prematurely, but dirt knocks teeth off if the blade hits stone. If I can I orientate the log so dirt is on the bottom and then don't have to bark it or deal with it on the blade. Having said this if the bark is on tight and takin ages to get at, and I have no choice but to slice through the crud, I'll try orientate the log so it is on the exit side of the log, so the blade isn't dragging it through a cut, but hitting it as the blade is coming out the log

At the end of the day, if I can't get around it easily I just go for it anyway ;D ;) a re-tip isn't much other than a bit of down time
Always willing to help - Allan

Magicman

It all depends upon the logs.  With loose bark, the build up under the mill will make a mess.  Do whatever it takes to remove dirt from your cut path.  The back side of the log doesn't dull as badly, but I still remove it.

Notice the loose bark.  All of the bark was easily removed from these logs before sawing.

Same saw job, different day, different logs.  No bark was removed.

I have a power Debarker, but these get regular use.  Notice the top brush is completely worn out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bugdust

Naturally bark off is the answer to help keep blades sharper longer, but peeling bark is time comsuming. A high pressure washer is one way if you have access to a water source. I sawed white pine today that was cut late last summer and the bark fell off or peeled with little effort. I've found my WM debarker serves the purpose well but there are still times I have to pull out the old wire prush and hatchet.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

bandmiller2

Its pure pleasure to mill barkless logs.Debarking is a good way to hold logs you won't get around to milling for a wile.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sigidi

I have to agree Frank, a barked log is 'cleaner' to mill and when ya tailing out waste you get one clean piece to carry away.

Recently had some older Ironbark which had some thick, fresh, just felled bark and found I needed to 'score' the bark's first 1.5inch then cut into the timber or the blade was getting pushed up in the cut due to the edge of bark gettin 'feathery' (for want of a better word) and pushin up the blade - was sorted easy with scoring first then cutting
Always willing to help - Allan

carykong

I have a LT25 and often just slab the logs into a rough cant thereby removing the bark and dirt. Stack the cants and come back on another day and cut to final size.  I think I go through fewer blades taking this step and,also, slabbing logs is usually an one man job for me. When cutting cants to final thickness,I try to get my 18 year old son out in the field to off load the boards.

Thank You Sponsors!