iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Prices?

Started by jerryatric, May 01, 2011, 12:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

I know around here the mills are telling us to be ready and do not buy anything stupid that you do not need . It's going to be a real bumpy ride

ehp

Stock up on popcorn and your favorite soda and hope your favorite shows are on TV so you and your dog can watch them together 

beenthere

QuoteI heard last week that there was a slight increase in red oak lumber,

Hogdaddy
One would think an increase in lumber should or eventually mean an increase in log prices. Hope that happens.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Old marketing ploy, is to get others to slow down so there will be fewer producers. But in the meantime, keep producing themselves.  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stavebuyer

Yes, marginal. The demand end hasn't moved but the weather and subsequent supply drop off has the major domestic players feeling like the market has bottomed out. Same old story. Fear of missing out on a rising market or getting hung in a declining one has more to do with pricing than actual supply and demand. 

nativewolf

I have heard several reports of small price increases, @ehp AMEX just raised prices and apparently is looking for wood.  

I even heard walnut had bumped but I do t know how much.
Liking Walnut

mudfarmer

AMEX is not just looking for wood they are crying and begging for it!

nativewolf

Also I confess that I think stavebuyer has it right, careful buying wood.  Good time to raise cash and be ready for a downturn. 
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: mudfarmer on February 05, 2023, 08:19:45 PM
AMEX is not just looking for wood they are crying and begging for it!
But not raising pricing too much 😂
Liking Walnut

ehp

Amex does not come here , they tried and that didnot work . Trucking is a long ways from here and they only want the best so what do you do with the rest as once your log pile has been picked threw good luck selling the rest cause no one wants the left overs . They cannot mix our wood with the rest cause ours is white in colour compared to anything grown on clay or different colour sand . 

ehp

It's like the Big Guy here says , 2023 will seperate  the girls from the boys and lets see who is left and standing at the end , Cost of buying timber has not gone done a touch in the last year but our cost to cut has gone up alot and what we get at the mill is the same pretty much so less money left for the logger . Mill knows things has to  change or there will be no loggers left

mudfarmer

How are things looking for you guys?

Price on Select white ash has bumped up for me but Prime did not, now getting the same for both ($750/mbf). I will start sending more Select instead of hoarding them. We need a bit more nice hardwood for a house build but not for 10 house builds...

beenthere

mudfarmer
Do you have the grade-specs that separate Select from Prime logs that you can post or link?
south central Wisconsin

mudfarmer

Sure thing. Prime: 14"+ 3CF, Select 12" 3cf, 15" 2CF

beenthere

Thanks. 
No minimum length?
south central Wisconsin

mudfarmer

8' minimum, 6" of trim on everything 

ehp

everything is about the same here , I was to see another $50/1000 on beech timber logs starting last week but some how the mill seems to of forgotten that but Monday morning they will get a reminder . 

mudfarmer

Hey that's good, nobody wants our beech because of the blister, $50/mbf increase would be 25% ;D, no matter how nice it is I can only get $200 from main buyer.

mudfarmer

Buyer says hold on, price drop inbound here... That's ok for me I am back in a firewood hole and prices only going up for that, shut down april1 for bark slip too.

Watch out for the bears on st Patty wknd they are as thick as spruce and apparently I forgot to register trailer  :o

Firewoodjoe

What was the price drop on?

mudfarmer

Hey Joe, hasn't happened yet, sounded like he expected nearly across the board but tight lips or didn't know. I know the most recent sheet Amex sent out was down a little. I'm still new to this for all I know this is normal and happens every spring?

Firewoodjoe

Yeah in years past things dropped some in spring. Then they started saying "oh that don't matter anymore." (Storage and stain do to heat) then the last few years it's been wide open sky high about year round. I'm expecting things to be "normal" just high operating cost. Less profit overall. Honestly as long as we keep moving wood I'm ready. 

ehp

For the first time I can remember there is quite a few loggers trying to sell their logs on social media and lots. Guys with junk to good stuff like hard maple.  That cannot be a good sign 

dnash

From what I was told, HM lumber isn't moving at all up here. Some of the mills up north that deal mostly with WA and HM have shut completely with a few out for good.

My understanding is that if it isn't WN or WO, it isn't worth cutting right now.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

barbender

No if real loggers are trying to sell logs on FB Marketplace that is not a good sign at all, ehp. If my old boss popped up with an ad on there selling logs I'd know the end was near😬
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!