iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black walnut Log uses/ideas needed

Started by 123maxbars, May 21, 2011, 10:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I recently cut a black walnut that was shadowing my garden too much. I have about 30feet of log that is around 8 to 10in diameter. Looking for some ideas on what to do with this wood. Not interested in having it milled, any thoughts with details will be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

sgschwend

You say you are not interested in having it milled?  But you post a question on a Sawmill and milling forum.

How about turning blanks?  A little small perhaps unless the turner like the sapwood contrast.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

123maxbars

Quote from: sgschwend on May 21, 2011, 10:50:53 AM
You say you are not interested in having it milled?  But you post a question on a Sawmill and milling forum.

How about turning blanks?  A little small perhaps unless the turner like the sapwood contrast.
[/quote

Just looking for help, If i am in the wrong place I apologize,
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

houtwurm

homemade bandmill
stihl ms 441
case 5130 with alo quicke q690 us loader
homemade sawbench

Larry

It makes great fence posts once the sapwood rots off.

The only details I can think of is to put the big end in the ground. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom

Nah!  It's not the wrong site. 

There are many uses for any log, besides sawing it up into lumber.  Have you searched our site for rustic furniture, and subjects like that? 

Several of the guys have made tables, chairs, beds and even used logs for accent pieces within a home.  Not everything has to be construction material.  Sometimes wood is pretty just for pretty's sake.  I've seen many small pieces of wood that would be good for nothing other than to admire the grain and I have hung some of them up and looked at them.

Your tree has value, if for no other reason than it is your tree.  A piece of it used in your garden for a bench might be an idea.  Maybe you could peel a short length of it, polish it and stand it in the corner for a conversation piece or make a coat rack out of it.

Split a short piece with an axe, plane it down with a draw knife or hand plane and admire the grain structure.  It will be different depending upon the angle you split the wood.  You might get good enough that you could make a short board out of some of it and use it on the table for a hot plate, or cutting board. You could make a lazy susan, make a decoupaged photograph and hang it on the wall, drill holes in a piece of log and use it to store your screwdrivers or drill bits. 

If you have a strange sense of humor, like I do, you might split out a board, smooth it down, finish it, put a hanging device on the back of it and write "I grew this tree and made this board, date it, finish it with polyurethane and give it away to some family member for a Christmas present.  Then make a point of visiting that person and asking, "Where did you hang that 'special' walnut board I made for you?"  And do it every time.  When they hear you are coming to visit, they'll start scrambling around the house, trying to find it, and put it in a place where you can see it.   Then you can make up some story you could relate about the board they would have to listen to each time.  That would be fun. ;D

The important and valuable thing is to be able to tell everybody, "that is my tree." :)

LeeB

Take the bark off and smooth the surface of the sap wood, cut it into short pieces and make bandsawn jewelry boxes. The more small branches, or knots you might say, the better. There is a piece like that beside the creek at home that I noticed when I was driving out to go to work. It looks really neat from being tumbled down in a recent flood and has been scoured quite smooth. I hope it is still there when I get back. My daughter asked me to make her just such a bandsawn box several years ago and up till now I just haven't found the right piece for it. should of picked it up then. Some times people get stuck  in a rut and don't think outside the square world of boards. If nothing else it will always make fire wood.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kansas

Have a mill split into it into half for seats around a house or garden. Take a chainsaw or mill and have rounds cut out of it for stepping stones (or clocks for Christmas gifts). Have a chainsaw carver carve something for the end of your driveway or patio. Split it into pieces and make a decorative split rail fence.  And if all else fails, put part of it in your house for the cat to have something to scratch on besides your leg. Cut a short piece, stand it up outside, and give your dog a good fire hydrant alternative.

Brad_bb

Having a Black walnut log and not opening it up is like getting a present and never unwrapping it.  The key features of black walnut are:  Beautiful grain(and sometimes figure if you're lucky), beautiful color heartwood, rot resistant heartwood, strength.  So to not take advantage of any of those qualities...well you may as well use any ol log then.

If you saw on two sides, you get the beauty of the heartwood and softwood together.  How much heartwood does the log have- 5 inches?
What would you like to make, something for inside or outside?  Furniture?  Something decorative?  Something useful?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

metalspinner

For three years, my firepit had three logs set around it for seating.  It looked cool.  But most of my visitors are under 4' tall (Cub Scout).  :D

Your's are a little small for even those short legs.  But, you can cut two firewood length pieces, notch out the tops and set longer logs in them for a raised log bench.  Watch out , though!  Walnut logs have these little spike bumps under the bark that need to be wacked off with a hatchet before you set your bumm down. :)

If your 8"-10" diameter is the large end measurement, the log probably is a bit small to mill. But, if that is the measurement at the small end of 30', there would be a lot of pretty boards being under utilized.  ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

123maxbars

Got some good ideas, thanks for the help guys,
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

dovetails

First thing that came to my mind was tell us where your at, so one of us could try to talk you out of it and put it to good use!  lol   Black walnut is a terrible thing to waste
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Patty

Black walnut is beautiful when turned on a lathe. You might chunk it up and turn beautiful bowls. A guy we know uses black walnut in his long bow crafting. I love walnut, it is one of my favorite woods. A piece we donated to a friend ended up as a cross in a church. Your possibilities are only limited by your imagination!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!