Sponsors:

Expand Forum to include drying and kiln section?

Started by Jeff, January 22, 2004, 12:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA-Sawyer

How about calling it " Between milling and selling" ?
Va-Sawyer

Jeff

How about

The "Its a board now what?" forum  ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Den Socling

I like Tom's idea of 'drying and machining'. Surfacing, end trimming and molding are often done by companies with kilns.

I thought before that it would be nice to have a 'craftsman's corner' where stuff like the segmented bowls and all the other handcrafted wood projects could be kept for easy access. But I don't think that they should be with drying and machining. IMO

Mobilesawyer

Jeff

I do have a few problems with pigeon holeing special topics. One,  they may get over looked. We are all guilty of ignoring one forum or the other because the way our interests run. Another is that people perceive that something they have should be posted in a catagory where it does not belong simply because they feel it will get noticed quicker. Or worse posts it on multiple boards. It grinds me when somebody posts a wanted or for sale item on a different board because they feel it wont get looked at quick enough on its correct board.

To many pigeon holes creates divisions on the forum. I know for a fact that some members only look at one board then leave. That is bothersome for me because the Forestry Forum is ONE forum divided up only to help find or place information. Yes, people have intersts that run in a straight line sometimes but this forum is about throwing in some curves. I like a doughnut for breakfast or cold pizza when I can get it, even thought I prefer ham and eggs.

Yes, I think the drying and machining, or what everway we go should be limited to that as Den suggests..

VA-Sawyer

I'd like to withdraw my suggestion.   I'm going to throw my hat in with Mobilesawer and go with  "Value Added Lumber Processing"
VA-Sawyer

shopteacher

We'll I just like to say I think it an excellent idea no matter what you call it.
  It seems to me to be an extension of the milling process rather than an integral part of sawing.  I have an interest in learning about drying whether it be air or kiln and would find it very handy to be able to access it or post to the topic easily.  Oh, Butch really liked the jerky part
, but showed very little interest in the wood subject.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

Boy, A Drying forum would be VERY NICE. So much info, so little time.  I believe our lumber is wet enough to need drying ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

EZ

I myself say it is an excellent ideal.

I must confess that I have never look at the forsale and wanted site, cause I have'nt been needed to buy anything. But I will go there now.
EZ

Jeff

Maybe I'm old school. When I hear the term "value added"  I think telemarketer. Buzz word. There is just something about that phrase that turns me off.

Now lets think out of the box on this one... ;)

Percy

Just a thot and slap me for suggesting it if you dont agree ;D but by simply changin the name of this particular forum to "Sawmills and Milling AND Value Added Processing" or somthing that may suit you better, youd have alot more people from differnt ways thinkin, collaborating with eachother instead of segregating them. On the otherhand, the place could get so busy that ther'd be too many posts to read before supper :D :D
Im just thinkin outloud and dont take me too seriously as I love this forum(s).  One that I used to hang out alot(music related) a few years ago  basicly died because the  new management of the site inadverdantly created so many different forums for the many different aspects of the topics(Music, recording,songwriting,yadda,yadda) that the posts became dilluted and predictable and no one was exposed to differnt "thinks" from other posters who may not be as involved but have novel and fresh ways of thinking about a particular topic/subject/whatever.(I hope Im makin sense here and not offending anyone as this is not my intention).
Anyhow, regardless of what happens, I think this is a great place to be/hang out at/share ideas no matter what the format... ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Jeff

Percy, thats what I am talking about. I dont do these on a whim for the reasons you mention. However,  this is not really a new forum, it is simply another catagory of one forum. The Forestry Forum.  It should help seperate the topics so you can easily find information.

And yes, I should slap you for not reading my previous post on the "value added"term and still suggesting it. :D

Tom

Kevin_H.

I think it's a great idea, How about..."To Dry or Not To Dry" That is the question...Ok maybe that's not the title, but I like the idea...
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Percy

QuoteAnd yes, I should slap you for not reading my previous post on the "value added"term and still suggesting it. :D

Ouwch ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

etat

Am I wrong, or is the answer not right in front of us?  

Re: Expand Forum to include drying and kiln section?

..... Drying and Kiln........

or
......Drying and Processing......
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Dugsaws

I like Den and Toms idea drying and machining for the name and as for the forum heck yea mabye it would give me the helpI need to get my kiln going and keep learning more
Doug

EZ

Being the FF doesnt have a drying site, I dont ask questions about drying cause I dont really know where to post it. I hate being out of order. I hate asking any questions on the other place cause the doc make me fill really stupid.
EZ

Jeff

Drying and processing. As Tammy says, cool beans. That'll do it. I will add it a little later today, for now I am going on a ride with da bride. :)

dan-l-b

Yea Haaaa 8) 8)  A drying and processing section 8) 8) I'll get them hams and jerky right after all :D :D :D

Wes

Oh No, now I will have to spend more time on this DanG puter ;D

OneWithWood

Well as usual I am a day late and a dollar short  ::)

I was going to suggest titling the new section 'Beyond the Mill' or 'I've Done the Sawdust Thing, Now What?'
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jim_Rogers

I pitched an idea to an editor of a magazine once about a series of articles, his response was "there is a whole world in one blade of grass". And thereby suggested I combine all the intended info into one article, keeping the info pointed to the main theme.
You could just label the section Drying Lumber. Then it could have questions on air drying and question on kiln drying.
The original request was for a "kiln" drying section.
If there is a need for "how to machine lumber" section then put that to a vote, also. And if approved, add that section.
I might be too late with my thoughts, but I'm one of those guys who doesn't have a lot of time to ready every section, every post. Just my 2 cents worth.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

woodman

Jim Cripanuk

DanG

Easy, or, should I say "EZ?"  :D  I've read it at least 8 times, myself, so I'm doing my part. ;D  Actually, I don't think I even voted, as it was already a shoo-in by the time I saw it.
I'll cast my vote here and now. Go ahead and add it, Jeff!   ;D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."