iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Softwood use in an eclassic

Started by stumper, March 30, 2012, 08:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper

OK you guys that burn softwood, can you provide any insight on keeping the fire going.  I have no issue maintaining a hardwood fire but I find it difficult to maintain a good coal bed and therefore a good fire with softwood.  If I mix the two I do alright.  If I burn straight softwood in the cold of the winter where the fire is going most of the time I also do fine (just need to feed it more often).  However, when it is this shoulder season where it is 20 at night and 40 during the day I struggle.  Any tricks you guys would like to share?

buckgrunt

What is happening is that there not enough air getting to your firebox.  This is especially problematic during warmer times in the fall and spring.   I learned a trick from prior postings to help keep the embers glowing between periods when the unit is not "On".  Insert a paperclip in your top seloenoid.  This allows some air to enter the firebox to keep the embers glowing.  I am buring hemlock and pine right now and have no problems.....

Bob Lentz

What are your pulse settings?  Having the blower come on a bit more often for less time will help keep the coals glowing.
eClassic-2400
Triangle Tube Backup (Propane)
Heating 6500 sqft house and small pool

stumper

I can try and bump the pulse setting.  Thay are currently at factory recomended settings.

pinebugsrus

I just put my E Classic 2400 on line in January, burning a mix of softwood and hardwood with the same issue in the beginning.  My dealer suggested all of the above tricks, which I employed and it worked great.  I was late in committing to a wood boiler and working up the firewood so my fuel is not fully seasoned.  The paperclip idea worked the best for me using 14 gauge wire.  That provided a larger air gap and has worked great for my not so dry mixed fuel.  Worked my butt off since mid January to get all of next years wood cut and split before spring and have mostly pine and poplar so expect to use the paperclip trick then as well.  Maybe a smaller wire though since I won't be fighting the green wood issue.   
Don't know what I wanna be when I grow up.  She says....GROW UP ALREADY!!

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum,pinebugsrus. Only a few miles from me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pinebugsrus

thecfarm, thanks for the welcome to FF.  I've thoroughly enjoyed the education received since I discovered the forum.  You guys have saved me so much grief as I navigate the learning curve in OWB operation.  As I mentioned, I've been  making all the Btu's I need to heat a 3000 sq ft home and a 780 sq ft garage from a green, mixed woodpile.  Next heat season should be much different with all this  seasoned full rounds and big split chunks to burn.  Burned about 3 cord in January and February but dropped to a cord in March.  Life is good now that we finally kicked the oil habit.  Went all out and bought myself a new toy last week....8lb splitting maul.  $30.00 but my wife says I'm worth it!  She sure does like that constant 75* and like Gary Crocker always says...."A Happy Wife is a Happy Life"         
Don't know what I wanna be when I grow up.  She says....GROW UP ALREADY!!

blackfoot griz

This may be a stupid idea...Would it be tough to add one short circuit on an OWB and make a firewood drying chamber?  In reading some of the OWB threads, it seems like certain models really function better with  really dry wood.
I have a masonry fireplace with a bake oven. Several years ago, I ended up with some damp firewood. Once the fire was dead out, I would build a fire for the next day. The residual heat in the stove did a great job of drying out the wood.

Thank You Sponsors!