iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I found the noise I was looking for.

Started by snowshoveler, April 19, 2012, 08:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowshoveler

Blade noise that is.
I put the transmission in high range.
I had a few small red pine on the deck to saw...making 6x6.
Anyway just throttled up the engine untill the blade just looked right.
Ran the log in and instantly knew that I had the right speed.
I remember the cutting noise from my friends mills and mine sounded just like it.
Untill now I have been cutting mostlly bigger logs and was being cautious I guess.
If I can keep belt slip to a minimum I will be doing good.
I am using a 7 inch belt and I think i will have to put a new one on tommorow...allignment issues.
Anyway I thought I would keep you fine folks posted.
Regards Chris 
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is interesting Chris.
My drive belt got to slipping on my LT40 as all belts sooner or later need more tension. I do not have a tension tool to see if I need more or less tension.
So the way I found the "squeak" sound I was looking for telling me I had the right tension was.....VIDEOS.

I watched a ton of LT's on u-tube. I listened for the belt when the sawyer engaged his blade. So I used the trial and error method until I got the belt to squeak like the ones on the videos.

Mike from Woodmizer checked my drive belt tension when he did his inspection this month.......DanG, I had the right tension.
You can learn a lot from a video.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

Chris,I'am sure you mentioned it in the past but what engine are you driving your mill with? Flat belts work but are troublesome if possible use "V" belts bought new the price is prohibitive sheve&belts but  you can find the stuff used.If you must use flats a weighted idler can help,also the larger the pulleys to get the ratio you need= better belt traction.You have a working system now so just keep your eyes open and update latter. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

apm

I used to buy ClingFast belt dressing. It came in yellow and black can for liquid or tube for stick. I haven't seen any in years. I don't know of any commercially available belt dressing for flat belts anymore. There've been lots of home brew recipes tried. I would like to hear of any that work well.

You have done a good job of describing "the zone" for your saw. It's one of those things hard to put into words, but when you're there, you know, and you love it.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

snowshoveler

My mill is run by an early (1935) D4400 caterpillar.
I have to spent a little more time lining up my engine to the mill.
I should be able to do this tonight.
The noise of the saw is hard to describe, but once you hear it you will remember it.
Regards Chris 
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

reride82

Chris,
I love that sound! I hadn't seen a sawmill operate in person, until I got my Belsaw going, and it is an awesome sound and sight to behold watching a log being turned into lumber. Definitely my favorite hobby!  8)  8)  8)

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

bandmiller2

That circular saw wine would be good to record for one of those white noise machines to  help sawyers sleep.Of course a hard days work will help too. Frank C.

snowshoveler

I did manage to pull the engine out a bit and sawed a few more 6x6 from the red pine.
Saws very nice and only trouble is I have a bit to much speed when gigging back.
I may switch out the feed pulley if I can get it off its shaft.
If all goes well tommorow I should have enough parts hoarded up to start building my sawdust chain.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Al_Smith

You can still buy belt dressing in spray cans at about any auto parts store ,TSC etc .I haven't seen the old fashion stick type since I was a boy though and that was a long, long time ago .

That old stick stuff really got a bite though if you could ever find any .Out of curiosity I took a Google walk around and it seems lots of people are looking for the stick stuff too .

bandmiller2

If I recall rosin is a big part of belt dressing.A heavy swinging idler pulley helps especially if it increases the wrap on the smaller pulley.If a wide leather belt a little neats foot oil helps an old stiff belt. Stick belt dressing showes up at farm auctions and in old machine shops. Frank CX.

jbpaxton

When I was a young sprout and we would hook the old JD B up to the hammer mill to grind some cob corn. Dad would get mom's honey jar and dribble a little honey inside the belt.  that would make it grab as well as any belt dressing we tried.

Jim
jbpaxton

Al_Smith

On that the old Jonnie poppers had a steel pulley that would not grab worth a hoot and you just about had to rosin them up .Most times however the belt had a twist which seemed to grab better that a straight  line belt flapping every which way .The old Farmalls most times had a lamented paper pulley that grabbed a whole lot better the the old JD's .

Oh say  I've seen in some applications on sheet steel pulleys where they riveted a section of belting around the pulley so the belt would gain purchase .Seemed to work .

Ron Wenrich

There's always a belt tightener.  I've seen them on a few mills, and they work pretty well.  Basically a big pulley in a frame that allows the pulley to float on top of the belt.  The weight adds tension to the belt and lessens slippage.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

dail_h

All the f;at belt mills i ever sawed on had floating top idler, usualy close to the driven pulley
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

bandmiller2

Chris,whaty do you have for a feed mechinism on your mill.?Mine uses a flat leather belt.I usally start the gigback then release the lever and the carriage rolls back with just a little feathering to stop it in the right location. Frank C.

snowshoveler

Mine uses a flat belt which is okay. But sometime in the near future I will change the pulleys out because its a bit to fast on gig back.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Thank You Sponsors!