iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how things are

Started by furltech, August 29, 2012, 11:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

furltech

I can not believe how hard it is to hire someone with a harvester in northern nova scotia right now .Is it this hard everywhere ,it used to be no prob to find someone to cut ,now there is no one with gear .

Mark Wentzell

Most of the operators are probably working in the oilfields now. There was a job fair here last week that hired something like two thousand folks to go work in alberta. Good luck in your search.

furltech

I am not looking for an operator i am looking for  an owner operator .i have a bunch of wood to cut and a market that looks like it might pick up right soon and i need more production .It was hard to find operators before alberta started stealing them away .

Jamie_C

Most of the independants around here have sold their gear and packed it in. About the only guys left are cutting for Wagner, Northern Pulp (or whatever thay are called now) or Irving.

Okrafarmer

Guess there's a need to be met there.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Jamie_C

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 29, 2012, 03:37:29 PM
Guess there's a need to be met there.  :-\

The industry in our area is still in massive turmoil ... With Northern Pulp likely buying the bankrupt stud mill in Scotsburn and in turn gaining all the chips from it that used to go to NewPage i think things will only get worse. The sawmill chip market here is way beyond saturated with only 1 of 3 pulp mills in the province operating and sawmills can't afford to just make chips with no market.

For me i wouldn't personally invest in anything to do with logging in this province until the hole NewPage/Pacific West deal got done and the Northern Pulp/LigniBel deal got done.

Thank You Sponsors!