iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roadside Litter

Started by Magicman, February 13, 2013, 08:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Our Cabin in on a remote 8 mile stretch of country road and it is over 30 miles from the nearest KFC, Burger King, or McDonalds.  It is beyond my reasoning to imagine how French fry and burger boxes along with various wrappers and empty drink cups continually litter that stretch of roadway.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Magicman,I'm about 20 miles and I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I seem to pick something up every few weeks. I live on a dead end road with about 6 houses above me. I will have to do my yearly pick up along the road when the snow melts down on the main road. I do about 1000 feet each way. It just looks better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on February 13, 2013, 08:12:57 AM
Our Cabin in on a remote 8 mile stretch of country road and it is over 30 miles from the nearest KFC, Burger King, or McDonalds.  It is beyond my reasoning to imagine how French fry and burger boxes along with various wrappers and empty drink cups continually litter that stretch of roadway.   :-\

Burglars have to eat too.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Axe Handle Hound

It must be the same reasoning that compels some local inconsiderate to bring his household garbage, construction debris, broken TV, etc and dump it in the ditch near my house at night.  I've picked up that person's trash way too many times already.  Litter looks bad, no questions about it.

thecfarm

I have about 10 gas tanks to get rid of now. :o My wife saw them first. Both of us only saw 3-4 tanks. Than I got out of the car and the pile grew. Once someone left 2 tires right in view of the house. If they would of gone down the road about 50 feet, there's enough trees too hide the house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chet

We've delt with dat same quick food trash on our road too. It's a rare trip dat I don't see some. >:(
There should be a hefty return deposit on all wrappers and containers from dem quick food joints. Dat way when I pick up all dat trash on my way home I can make a couple of bucks. Sum days I'd get rich. :-\
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Peter Drouin

I have that here a beer can or two, one time I had some junk in my drive way, I look at it and the guys name was in the junk, Well I called him right up to come and get it,when he got here, smiley_furious3 I can't say or repeat on the FF, but he wont be back ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ely

i have the same problem here, but i know who throws all the fast food wrappers out, and they get them back in their yard about once a year, all at once. usually good for about 11 months. as for house hold trash i pile it all out in the county road and light it on fire, had a few folks concerned until i offered to bring it down to their property.

drobertson

Is roadside litter just a fast food issue, what about all the feed bags that blow off the farm rigs and wind up against the fences,  all of it is awful.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

I once got a ticket that I shouldn't have got in a little po-dunk town because the cops and judge we crooked. For a couple years I would clean out my truck as I drove past the courthouse parking lot. I was a little immature back then but it made me feel better each time I did. Me and my brother have picked up our county road since we were old enough to ride a four wheeler. Strap a milk crate to the front rack and we would be at it at least a couple days a year.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magic......check again. They can throw up a FAST FOOD joint over night.  :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Cedarman

Had a neighbor that used to walk the roads for exercise and pick up all the aluminum cans.  He would invariably find from 1 to 2 six packs worth of unopened beer.  Seems underagers would drink their fill and throw the last beer or 2 out to get rid of any evidence.
The suggestion of of having a deposit fee on wrappers, cans, plastic sacks, bottles etc would eliminate a lot of trash.  The worst is a used diaper,  the deposit has already been put in them.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Shotgun

Magicman, the poor fellow needed a little nurishment for his 30+ mile trip, one way, to get his gas.   ;)   

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

jdtuttle

It is amazing how much stuff gets thrown out a car window. I live in a small rural community of about 5000 people. I belong to an ATV club & we clean-up the backroads annually. The Town helps out & hauls all the garbage to the dump. Tires are always a big problem. We'll be cleaning up again in 4 or 5 months.
Have a great day

Sonofman

I live 15 miles from the nearest town, but I am on the road to the local convience center (read trash dump). Even though South Carolina requires all loads of trash to be covered, I still get a lot of trash on my property. I fill up a normal kitchen garbage can sized bag every week or two.
Located due west of Due West.

Jasperfield

Most of the people littering your property don't have anything and don't want anyone else to have anything, either. When they throw their trash onto your land, that is an assault.

A lot of fast-food trash will have a receipt inside the bag showing a time, date, and other information. With cooperation from the vendor (or not), you and the district attorney can determine who is responsible and prosecute them. However, here in NC and in other states, many vendors' ignorant cashiers ask the customer "Do you want your receipt?" (as if the receipt is not part of the transaction) just before they utter some stupid phrase like "Have-a-good-un." rather than say "Thank you for your business.". This practice prevents tracing litter to the offender.

After being offended one time too many, you'll take your camera, photo the license plate, and testify against the offender in court. Make your complaint at the magistrate's office and have the state bring charges.

Just my opinion; Feel free to make it yours.

WDH

MM,

Maybe they are slow eaters.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 13, 2013, 09:33:02 PM
MM,

Maybe they are slow eaters.

:D :D :D He's already pithed off and you're making jokes.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

I am sorry  :).  You are a bad influence.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Nope, not really pithed, just will never understand the lack of respect that some have for themselves as well as for others.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WH_Conley

My road runs beside and a below the state highway where it first turns off, out of site of houses on the main road. Seems as everybody empties their cans and bottles as the come down the hill. I wind up with a good percentage. One of my daughters was leaving my house a few weeks ago, there was a pickup truck that had backed off the road, down my drive. He had the tailgate down and she could several garbage bags on the back. When he saw her he slammed the tailgate and left in a hurry. Sounds like I was about to get a deposit.
Bill

Leigh Family Farm

Is there a landfill near you? You would be amazed when those trailers full of compacted trash headed for the landfill just spill stuff while driving.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

tyb525

I've seen garbage trucks lose half their load driving down the road on a windy day
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Cedarman

Around here you get a ticket for a leaky load.  Also get tickets for throwing burning material from a vehicle  , cigarette.  It stops some trash, but we have our "fair" share.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

shinnlinger

Last summer some renters pulled out of their house and headed up the hill in front of me.  They went all of 50 ft before they threw a soda can on my neighbors lawn.  Really?  You couldn't have cleaned that out in your own driveway?

I am also 30 minutes from a fast food joint and same phenomenon.  Folks save it till they get on my road to toss it out.  I just don't get it.  My girls and I do a twice annual sweep and its ridiculous.  Empty beer cans I can understand (not that I condone drinking and driving) but household garbage is just obnoxious . 

Its even free to use my town's dump!!!!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!