iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Still burning

Started by petefrom bearswamp, May 08, 2013, 08:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Anyone out there burn all year?
Still burning to heat domestic water.
Must have overloaded last night with only 3 chunks of wood but temp was 201 this AM and the water level was down a touch.
Must have boiled in the night.
Burned all year last year but will probably shut down Memorial weekend this year.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SwampDonkey

I have stopped burning about 3 weeks ago. Power is so cheap here that it's not a concern. I just use wood heat for living space, not water. The power bill is always around $75 in the summer $100 in winter. I checked the difference between drying rack and electric clothes drier, about $3.50 a month.  :D But the rack was made for drying weavings, not regular wash, but I still use it as such.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Don't think I'm going to burn all year as we are going out of town for Memorial Day so once the stove goes out then I think that will be it until fall. But as of now we are still using the stove to heat the house as the nights have been in the low 30's to upper 20's.

stumper

I am still burning.  We have still had nights into the mid 30's.  Last nigh was only in the 40's and it is into the 60 during the day now so I'll probably shut down this weekend.

Glenn

swamp donkey  What do you mean electric is so cheap here?  What is your rate?  And is that the whole bill or just the power usage part?

SwampDonkey

The whole bill with recurring service fee and taxes included. The only thing different between summer and winter is the furnace fan, which is run off a 1/4 hp motor. Rate is 9.85 cents/kwH. Basic phone with dial-up internet costs more than power in the summer. $40 for flip'n dial-up, robbery.

My wood man came with a load of wood this afternoon, guess I'll be busy at that as soon as the sun rises. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I have not shut mine down for 4 years now. Last time we went to see the stepson in DC in May. Mine will take a 54 inch stick. I need to pick up the branches that have fell out of the trees in an area that I keep clean. Yes,I may have to fill it 2-3 times a day,but I get rid of the branches instead of putting them on the brush pile. A load of branches will last a while.As long as my "flappers" stay closed,I'm all set. The rear one will fill up with clinkers if I don't keep up on it. I try to clean it out every so often. I had the inside heat off for 2 days  and nights. No big deal to turn a couple ball valves if heat is needed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ET

I fire the stove up in the fall and it stays lit till just about 3 weeks ago. With this catalytic blaze king I no longer have to shut down mid season to clean/clear the stack and chimney connector of soot and creosote as this unit is over 90% efficient.  And when I do tear it down their is next to nothing to clean up. I heat my 120 year old (insulated), 2000 Sq ft farm house at a constant thermostat controlled 74 degrees.  Only burned maybe 2 1/2 cords instead of 5-6 cords with old traditional air tight stove. I thought about putting in a all home outside unit but did not want to have to set aside 10 cord. I'd rather sell the extra.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

doctorb

Stopped the OWB in mid-April, and use a Vermont Castings indoor wood stove to take away any chill the evening bring.  Running low on firewood up at my house, so I hope the heating part of the spring is close to done.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

mrcaptainbob

We're in south central Michigan and keep our owb going all year. Shut off the main (now emergency backup) furnace in the basement about seven years ago. We heat two dwh year round. It's either pro-pain or electric. Not too mention the two baths are hydronic floor heated. And swmbo's bath usually 'needs' to be warmer for more months than mine, so we keep the heat going in there, too. Admittedly, the owb goes through less than 1/4 as much as colder months.

Glenn

HMMMM  Swamp Donkey - your cost of electricity is more than I pay here in Ontario.  But its all the extras they add on that add up, like service charge, debt retirement, etc.

Al_Smith

:D We have a little cold snap .As I was driving down the driveway coming home from work today I noticed a little white smoke .Evidently Mrs Smith got a tad nippley and fired up the stove again .Supposed to get to 33 tonight .Two days from now up into the 80's again .Ohio ,if you don't like the weather it will change ,thank you lake Erie .

thecfarm

The heat is on. I came in from getting a little wet and turned it up a couple degrees. Kinda raw out there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Instead of burning up winter's wood for this coming season, I have a little heater here to take the edge off and remove the moisture in the house. It's 42 F this morning and full sunshine.

MJD

30 here in south eastern Wisconsin this morning, calling for 80s this week.

billporterfield

23.8 degrees at 6 am today in Marinette County, WI. Keep the home fires burning.

petefrom bearswamp

Right at 32 degrees here hope my apple trees don't get frosted.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

chevytaHOE5674

Was in the 50's yesterday and quite warm in the house with the sunshine and I was busy in the evening so I forgot to put wood in the stove last night. Woke up early this morning to the blower running constantly in the house but only luke warm air coming out of the vents and a temp of 69° with the thermostat set to 70°. Went outside and the stove was at 100° and almost out of wood.

r.man

Went away for the week-end on Friday morning, hadn't run the stove in a week or so. Came home Sunday through light snow to a house with open windows and an temperature of 50 degrees. Lit the stove again. There wasn't enough snow to cover the green grass but it did cover roofs of houses and cars. Dripping now at quarter of eight Monday morning.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

trapper

Welcome billporterfield I grew up between peshtigo and oconto.  My father used to buy his nash and rambler cars in porterfield.  45 years ago I worked in the sawmill in peshtigo.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Local4Fitter

Still burning here. Heating domestic hot water and Buderus radiant panels in my 75 year old mothers rooms in the basement. She's off to the Cape on Tuesday. I'll let the fire go out and clean up this weekend.
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

Thank You Sponsors!