iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rugged Split 37 ton splitter/splitter suggestions?

Started by jbos333, February 09, 2014, 06:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbos333

Hi, just wondering if there's anyone out there that has any real world experience with one of these. I have been looking for a good used Timberwolf TW6 or equivalent (new TW6 pricing is beyond my budget).

So, I know where I can get a TW6 with approx. 1200 hrs. on the clock for $5000 with 6 way wedge.

These Rugged Splits are $2995 new including shipping. I realize this is not apples to apples comparison, especially since the Rugged Split only has a slip on 4 way and a non-Honda engine, etc. but it seems like it'll do 90% of what I need to do. It does have a similar "big-a**" cylinder like the TW6, with quick retract time.

So, I'm upgrading from a North Star push through splitter, which has been a great unit, but I want to at least be able to do a 4 way split to increase my production.

Any other suggestions/endorsements on other brands? I really don't need/want a log lift either, if that helps.

Brokermike

I've been scouring the web looking for the same answer.

Found a couple of used rental iron and oak units, and a used TW5 but no info on these rigs. Can't even decipher where most of them are made, engine china but no info on the rest
Don't Jersey Vermont

John Mc

Quote from: Brokermike on February 10, 2014, 10:18:49 AM
Found a couple of used rental iron and oak units, and a used TW5 but no info on these rigs. Can't even decipher where most of them are made, engine china but no info on the rest

Timberwolf is made in Rutland VT.  I believe most of their splitters use Honda GX engines.  A friend has a TW5 to feed his sugarhouse. It's built like a tank. 

Timberwolf is also one of the few manufacturers whose tonnage ratings actually mean something.  If you do the math on most splitter manufacturers, you'll see there is no way their splitters are actually producing the tonnage they claim: just multiply the actual PSI it's set for X the cross sectional area of the cylinder (PI X r2). 

For example, my so-called 16 ton splitter has a 3.5" cylinder. The manufacturer recommends 2250 PSI for the hydraulic pressure, and that's how they ship them out. This works out to 11 Tons of splitting pressure.  (Even if cranked to 3000 PSI, you'd still only get about 14.4 tons - and probably burst something in the process).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

aikman08

I just purchased a 37Ton rugged split. It is very fast, however it does not like big knotty wood, it will not split what my 20 year old 31 ton will split. no way this unit has 37tons of splitting power.
The tray that folds down over the tongue is a very handy feature as is  the log lift, and again it splits clear wood extremely fast. Techs @ manufacturer are very helpful. I have had this unit for 2 weeks and I have split about 1 cord relatively effortlessly. No way I was spending 5-7K on a splitter this unit is a nice compromise.

jbos333

aikman08,

Thank you for the info. You're the first person who I've run across who actually has one. I'm looking to bridge the gap between single wedge smallish splitter and a full blown entry level processor. If I was going to buy a brand new "brand name" splitter for $10k I would probably just jump right in to a small processor. But if the Rugged Splits work fairly well the price isn't so bad.

NEPAGUNNER

Quote from: aikman08 on March 20, 2014, 06:10:31 AM
I just purchased a 37Ton rugged split. It is very fast, however it does not like big knotty wood, it will not split what my 20 year old 31 ton will split. no way this unit has 37tons of splitting power.
The tray that folds down over the tongue is a very handy feature as is  the log lift, and again it splits clear wood extremely fast. Techs @ manufacturer are very helpful. I have had this unit for 2 weeks and I have split about 1 cord relatively effortlessly. No way I was spending 5-7K on a splitter this unit is a nice compromise.

How has the Rugged Made splitter held up? I just ordered one with the log lift and table.??

John Mc

Quote from: aikman08 on March 20, 2014, 06:10:31 AM

If your splitter has a 2-stage pump (most do), it sounds as though it's not kicking down into "low gear" when it encounters resistance. The idea of the two-stage pump is that it's a high-displacement pump, but without much power when it's running unloaded or under light load. When it encounters a significant load, the pump automatically switches to a low-displacement, but with much more power. Other than watching and listening, I'm not sure how you can test if it's working properly (and listening doesn't work to well unless you've got an electric motor - the gas engine tends to drown out pump noise). Some of these have an adjustment that must be set

When I first got my splitter (much smaller - 16 ton), I had the same problem: speed was good, but bogged down way too easily. Sometimes backing off for a moment then starting the ram in motion again would get it to work.  After using it a while something must have loosened up, because it started kicking in the second stage of the pump properly and it will split larger and knotted wood. It still bogs down on seriously gnarly stuff, but for a 16 ton splitter, it does OK.

BTW... my "16 ton" splitter actually comes out to about 11 tons when I calculate splitting pressure based on a 3.5" cylinder at 2250 PSI (manufacturer recommends setting pressure between 2000 and 2250 PSI). Regardless of the rating, it splits 95+% of what I throw at it. Stuff it can't handle gets sectioned with a chainsaw or split on my neighbor's homebuilt splitter (slow, but it barely knows the wood is there).

Even though the rating on your 37 ton splitter almost certainly reflects a similar exaggeration in splitting force, it should run right through tough wood with ease.  What size cylinder does it have? Do you know what pressure it is actually running?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ckhenshaw4

I have also ordered the Rugged Made one with the log lift, but it has not arrived as of yet.  They say it should be in at the end of October. Hoping that it works well.    ???
Getting TOO old to "man handle" wood anymore. Looking at building a firewood processor.

John Mc

Just checked the specs on the Rugged made splitter. It does have a two stage pump and a 5" cylinder. With the size engine on it, a two stage pump and that cylinder, it should be running through logs like butter -- even the tough ones. If it's not, something is wrong.

NEPAGUNNER

Quote from: ckhenshaw4 on October 22, 2014, 09:43:03 AM
I have also ordered the Rugged Made one with the log lift, but it has not arrived as of yet.  They say it should be in at the end of October. Hoping that it works well.    ???

I have ordered one as well and spoken with customer service... The should ship first week in NOV... Did you order your splitter before the 15th of October? If so you get a free external HYD filter setup

olddwoodcutter

hi to all just joined the forum.
I am also considering.
buying a rugged made splitter 37 ton with lift. those who have ordered one or have one what can you tell me about them.

I have looked at others with lifts but are much more expensive , would you buy rugged split again or spend more money on a name brand. ??

thank you.    olddwoodcutter

thecfarm

olddwoodcutter,welcome to the forum.
I just have a Cub Cadet,6.5 Briggs,28 ton that tilts. I have split alot of white pine 3 feet across with that thing. It's all I need. Well,can afford is what I mean. Sure I could use a $5000 one,if someone else is buying.  ;D  I only split wood for me,it may not have a return of 2.8 seconds,but it's all I want to keep up with.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ckhenshaw4

Quote from: NEPAGUNNER on October 24, 2014, 12:39:01 AM
Quote from: ckhenshaw4 on October 22, 2014, 09:43:03 AM

I have ordered one as well and spoken with customer service... The should ship first week in NOV... Did you order your splitter before the 15th of October? If so you get a free external HYD filter setup

Yes, I did get my splitter, and the FREE filter with it.  I put it together in one evening after work, and I can tell you that I like it a lot.  I did have one problem with the valve that is used with the split cylinder, but one call to RuggedMade, and they sent me a brand new one.  I have had ZERO problems with it splitting anything that I have put through it, and I have put some really knotty stuff in it.  Yes, it did slow it down when it started pushing, but when it kicked into the stage one of the pump, it when right through all of it just like butter.  And the log lift is the CATS MEOW !!!!!   No more lifting heavy pieces for this old man !!!!  I am very (so far) happy with this splitter. Will see how it is still going after 100 cord through it.   ;)
Getting TOO old to "man handle" wood anymore. Looking at building a firewood processor.

olddwoodcutter

thecfarm,,thank you for the welcome

ckhenshaw4.....could post some pix of it in action I`m thinking about ordering one but have not seen any reviews or much talk about the quality & operation. how much have you used it so far.
I watched the videos .but still.

thanks,

ckhenshaw4

Quote from: olddwoodcutter on November 13, 2014, 06:33:54 PM
thecfarm,,thank you for the welcome

ckhenshaw4.....could post some pix of it in action I`m thinking about ordering one but have not seen any reviews or much talk about the quality & operation. how much have you used it so far.
I watched the videos .but still.

thanks,

olddwoodcutter,
I will get some action pictures up after next week.  We are LEAVING for Jamaica today for a vacation !!!!!  I have put about 1 cord through it so far, and I am VERY pleased with what it has done so far.  A lot of the stuff I have put through it so far was very stringy, and twisted and knotty.  It went through all of them with ZERO issues at all.  And the log lift is the CATS MEOW.  I am getting way to old (and lazy) to lift the big rounds, and this log lift does it with eze.     

Thank You Sponsors!