iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garden baskets.

Started by 21incher, February 09, 2014, 01:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

The other day while I was plowing 16 inches of snow from my driveway I started thinking That I am tired of winter and spring is just around the corner. I went inside picked up a heirloom seed catalog (rareseeds.com ) that I had just received and ordered some heirloom non GMO seeds to plant. Then I went to my shop to design and some new garden baskets, row markers and pepper stakes. It was a simple fun project I thought I would share.

The baskets are made of Scrap walnut and ash with some coated hardware cloth

I built 2 divided ones for seed packets, 2 -4 quart picking baskets, and a 1/2 bushel picking basket) along with 100 row markers and 100 pepper stakes.

I removed the rubber foot from my 1/4 crown stapler and found a v notch that allowed me to center the staples on the wire

I then took some old belts that seemed to be shrinking lately and cut strips to hide the staples

I placed 1/2 bushel of Fuji apples from my root cellar to check the capacity of the large one. I am now in the Think Spring mode and officially finished with my winter project list.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

m wood

OHHH, thank goodness, (from another WNYer) lets dooooo start talking spring.  Beautiful baskets 21incher, I really like the wood choices and the finishing touches really set them apart
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

thecfarm

Yes sir,a very nice job with the baskets.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

Very nice baskets  8)

I need to make all the same things and start some seeds  :)

Thanks for posting !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

21incher

Quote from: m wood on February 09, 2014, 03:54:07 PM
OHHH, thank goodness, (from another WNYer) lets dooooo start talking spring.
mark
It has been a real long winter here looking forward to spring. How far west are you?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

CHARLIE

Very nice!  I can't let my wife see this. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Magicman

Those were very nice "cloudy day" projects.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

caveman

Those baskets are very nice and functional.  They are much more attractive than the five gallon buckets that I use when picking fruit/vegetables.  I think if I built a basket that nice, it would be taken out when company is over and shown off. 

Today seemed like spring had sprung here.  The grass started to turn green, the azaleas are blooming, oak pollen is covering all flat surfaces, noses are running, eyes are puffy and the winter weeds in the yard need to be mowed.  We may plant some squash and black eyed peas later in the week.
Caveman
Caveman

drobertson

Heirloom baskets for some heirloom produce! nicely done at that,   Oh the springtime has to be soon,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LaneC

Those are some mighty fine baskets. Top notch and very pretty, with alot of class. Thanks for sharing.
Man makes plans and God smiles

m wood

21incher, I'm in Batavia, right between Buffalo and Rochester.  I just bought the rear city lot behind me with a south exposure and planning a veggie garden there.  But all the snow I plowed this winter is in the back yard and I probably cant get to it till June :D.  More snow on the way too!
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

21incher

Thanks everyone. Our old cardboard boxes started falling apart so it was time for something a little more durable. More snow is here so I guess my thoughts were a little premature. Today I will pickup a grow light and try my hand at starting my own plants this year.  Lately the plants have gotten so expensive and you really do not know what type of seeds they were started from so this should keep my mind off winter for a while longer.

Lud

Real fine baskets thoughtfully made. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

WDH

Very finely crafted baskets!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

Well I went to pickup a grow light and all they were was overpriced fluorescent fixtures with a stand. So I wound up picking up a shop light t8 fixture with 2- 6500k daylight bulbs and a new project began building a stand of some Ash that I had laying around. Here are some pics of the finished stand

It is just a simple stand that allows the light be raised and lowered on the shop light chains

The stand breaks down for storage when not in use. Time to plant some seeds.

5quarter

Awesome projects! 8) 8)  I do have to say though that you make it sound like you threw these together in an afternoon. If I tried to do the same thing, with same level of quality and detail, I'd be at it for several weeks,  :D :D with no guarantee that they'd look half as good as yours.

Again, really nice work.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

21incher

5quarter thanks for the compliment. They were thrown together in a afternoon and it was easy. The stock was all scrap wood that just had to be trimmed to size and the assembly only took a couple of minutes with a air stapler. There are no fancy joints and I just wiped 2 coats of Tung oil on them for finish. They were built just to be functional and looked pretty crude when they were first finished with all the staples exposed and I was surprised how the leather belt added as a afterthought gave them a higher quality appearance. Everything was built with no drawings, no sketches ,and no rulers so it was a fun project that I couldn't make a mistake on.

Busy Beaver Lumber

21incher

You do some very nice woodworking and your designs are very well thought out
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

21incher

Thanks Busy Beaver. I like to keep everything simple, functional, and easy to build. Then the beauty of the wood takes center stage. Also since having a selection of wood from my back yard I have started mixing different species which I never did in the past, but I now think it gives every project a more pleasing look. I had a father in law that was a woodworker and never really liked my work because everything he built had carved legs and was stained and finished to have perfect even color and by looking at it you could never see the wood aging. So it seems that you and I must have similar taste in woodworking.

Peter Drouin

I like your work too, nice  8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

21incher

I made these long ago but recently made a video about how I made the larger one.

YouTube

We still use them in the garden every day and they hold up great. Figured that I would go back and share this if anyone is interested.

Thank You Sponsors!